Thursday, February 08, 2007
my apartment-1961


I remember the day I found my apartment on Hollywood Blvd. It was the first and only apartment that I looked at....You see, the first six weeks after I moved to Los Angeles, back in 1961, I stayed with my sister Gene....she had a Guest Room with a couch that became a bed....The only problem was, I had to go through her bedroom to get to the guest room and the bathroom....And she is a day person and I am a night person....So, I started looking for an apartment about the third week into my 'visit' when I realized Los Angeles was going to be a more permanent move....

I looked for a furnished apartment because I had no furniture or anything else....I knew I wanted to be in the Hollywood area and I knew I wanted some kind of view....I began looking in the residential section on Hollywood Blvd. There were and still are lots of apartment buildings along a particular stretch between La Brea and Laurel Canyon....in fact this strip is all residential.....All apartment buildings except for a private house here and there, till almost where Laurel Canyon begins it's climb over the hill to 'the valley''.

I was really lucky. A guy was moving out of this one bedroom furnished apartment in a very new building....He had to relocate to another city because of his job. He had bought a desk and a chair and a second smaller dresser to go with the one that was already there.... You can see the desk and chair in this Polaroid Picture above....The apartment was at the end of the hallway, and there was a little balcony. There were floor to ceiling windows facing south and the city, so there was that view I wanted.....It was clean and new and I snapped it up, along with that desk and chair and dresser....! As time went on I got a lot of my things from back east---and as I began collecting art almost from the moment I moved to Los Angeles, these things got hung, plus the things I had collected back east, when they arrived.....all of this warmed the walls, and made it more personal. I rented a piano. It was a small upright and it fit right in with the rest of the furniture....and I wrote all the music for "Spoon River" on that little piano. And above, there's that desk and chair again and in between the desk and the little piano was the front door to the apartment. Just to the right behind that chair, was the kitchen and the dining area....You can see from the look of the furniture which was pretty new and Circa 1960 that it kind of looked like a very nice motel room, well...suite, really (lol)....It actually had a lot more personality than most apartments, and that was wonderful for me. It was clean and pretty comfortable and very serviceable, too, especially at that point in my life. You can just see the edge of that wonderful little piano over on the left of the Polaroid Picture above, as we turn towards the "dining area" which of course was part of the "living area". Over on the sideboard behind the dining room table was my portable "record player" sitting against the Weeping Willow Wallpaper....actually, it was a really lovely apartment and served me well for three years. (That's a book case that I had to buy against the drapes....)
And just around the edge of that chair (which was orange, by the way), was the nice serviceable and compact kitchen. I still have that little step stool sitting on the floor there....and here is another closer look.... I still have that hanging thingy, too...it really works well for your Cooking Utensils. And the Toaster underneath that little cover...well, I had that till just about three months ago. It still works! I had fun buying stuff for the apartment. I needed everything. Pots & Pans, Coffee Maker, Toaster, Silverware, Plates, Glasses, etc....It was fun. Nothing fancy mind you, but it was all mine.
And then below, looking from the Kitchen/Dining Room Area at the "living room area"....there is the brown couch with the other orange chair and the art on the walls to warm it all up! The little throw pillows were ones that I bought to bring a bit of color to the couch and to make it a little softer, too. There were ashtrays everywhere, of course....You can just see the edge of a round one on the dining room table over there on the left edge of the picture below, and another one way over on the right side of the picture, as well....Everyone I knew smoked back then. And of course, books everywhere, well, I used every available space for the books, records and music that were and are such a big part of my life, and as already mentioned, I ended up buying a small bookcase for the apartment, too....It's hard to see, but there is even a beautiful piece of sculpture on that side table between the chair and the couch....

The bedroom was small, but it had two beds so I could accommodate a guest, if needed. Check out that little ashtray on the night table next to the bed. Yes, they were everywhere. It seems I have never really liked making the bed, and still don't. And thgere's a trusty box of Kleenex along with the remote control for the TV. These things had to always be right at hand. Oh and I forgot, that little metal lamp was another thing I bought from the guy who had had the apartment before me. It's there on the dresser in this picture below. And there is my little portable TV and on the wall behind the dressers were some little water colors I had done...again, it warmed the room a bit, and made me feel more at home...There wasn't a lot of room in this bedroom, but again, it worked for me.
And here is the bathroom....I don't want you to miss any part of this wonderful little apartment....More Kleenex is available. It was a small bathroom but it had everything I needed....I remember I loved those towels....As I said, the apartment was furnished but only with the actual furniture....So those were towels I bought and they were lovely and bright and cheery with flowers! You get your cheer wherever you can!
I lived at 7346 Hollywood Blvd. for three years....almost to the day. And when I moved, on April 1st, 1964, it was to the house I live in now....my house that you have all seen pictures of on this blog....But before that, this apartment was a wonderfully perfect place for me to live. It was central to everything I wanted to be near and it had an underground garage beneath the building, and it even had a little postage stamp of a pool....you couldn't really swim in it, but you could cool off! Given the state I was in that first seven or eight months of 1961....my apartment was, as I said, perfect for me. My dear sweet Sammy took this picture above and I took this next picture below, of him.... All of these pictures are Polaroids and though they are not very good, I am so glad to have them and to have such a very specific record of this, my first home in Los Angeles.....





More To Come.......








37 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

They are completely lovely pictures and im glad you showed them to us!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 2:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow Naomi! I love the photo's!!!I hope you are saving all the photo's you put in your blog to a cd!! What a history of your life you have compiled just from your blog!!

I wonder what the rent difference is for that same apartment NOW compaired to then?!!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 5:41:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What great snapshots of your life back then! I wish I'd had a camera to take pix of my first apt. It was soooo sparsely furnished! I had planks of wood stretched across cinder blocks for shelves. I used heavy cardboard boxes for stands for things. I painted pictures on the outsides of them in hopes they'd look less trashy. That first apt. was such a life altering experience for me, living on my own for the first time, trying to support myself financially, figuring out who I was as a person. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, that's a nice look back to your apartment, which says "quintessential" sixties to me. The orange chair and ashtrays everywhere - could have been my first apartment! I had them on every table top back then. I had to buy bookcases for my first place too, plus pots and pans, etc. It was great fun to pick out all my own stuff and not have to defer to my mom's taste (which I saw a plebeian)...LOL

I like that weeping willow wallpaper. When I rented my first place, the owner said he'd paint before I moved in. I asked for light beige and what I got was so dark and depressing (tan) that I ended up painting the place myself to get it lighter.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 6:23:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a lovely post...and I was happy to see a photo of Sammy.
I hadn't seen one before.
You are a beautiful lady.

Kendra

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 7:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

IS that apartment building still there today? Wouldn't it be fun to go back and visit?! I don't even think there's furnished apts anymore. What a cool place to live!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 8:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

it's so fun to comapre styles and things to todays apartments, although i have to say i really really like this apartment. the piano is very similar to mine, which i inherited from my grandmother. my grandfather had bought it for her when they were newly married, as soon as he could afford it. it was her one luxury when they were poor and young.

also, i must say... i always knew you were an attractive lady, inside as well as out, but this picture of you... WOW! you look beautiful.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 9:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello, I found your blog while link-hopping last week, and have enjoyed visiting it, since.

I adore the photos! It's interesting to me that many of these things are back in style, especially among the young-hip, with their first apartments!

Yours keeps making me think of Natalie Wood's apartment in "Love with the Proper Stranger".

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 10:20:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Memories are made of this. It reminded me of my first apartment on my own where I began a new life in Fort Worth, Texas. It was one of a group of condos rented out by the owners and was situated in the middle of a beautiful upscale communiuty of private homes all around them.
I loved my very spacious apartment and spent a year in it before moving into a
larger one in the same group of condos where I had room for visits from my family and friends. I truly regret that I didn't own a camera back then, but the memories are still vivid.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 11:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love all photos, Naomi! It's so wonderful that you have all them! Thanks for sharing this virtual voyage through the time! I love also your photo and Sammy's photo, too!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 11:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I did it Ms. Naomi. I wrote something about my past. I hope you come to read it. Thank you for the encouraging words yesterday to get me to try it:-). Have a great day!!

Angela ~kaliblue

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 12:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

BTW, I love this apartment. It looked very cozy and invitable:-).
The pics of you & your friend are wonderful. You are so beautiful..

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 12:35:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is so cute!
How smart you were to then BUY a house where you did. I look at prices in that area and just about keel over from shock.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 12:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love it!! Particularly the wallpaper, that is so very cool! LOVE it. It was so fun to see a picture of Sammy.......I just love these peeks into your past, and can't wait for more!!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 3:23:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love how you called that television "little" and "portable". Hehehe.

I, too, love your first little apartment. Reminds me of, what I call, my Healing Home. Small, compact and perfect for serving your needs at the moment. :)

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 4:26:00 PM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

You were always smart! I wish I had taken pictures of my first home. These are very good photos.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 4:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It was so interesting to see your apartment. I have relatives in LA and my Uncle has always owned rentals.

I lived in an older apartment once in Butte MT and it was truly an interesting time. I had a balcony!

Thank you for sharing!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 5:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a neat tour and how cool that you have photos of your first apartment!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 8:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely Naomi - what a lovely way to take us with through your past and this apartment was really nice. Polaroid or not, I'm so glad you've saved them in digital format now to keep the treasure in safe for the future.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend too:-)

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 2:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. How fabulous to have these pictures and all the details there so fresh after all these years.

I love the weeping willow wallpaper - I actually love that 50's/early 60's era which is why I probably like it so much!

I have some photos (kind of similar) of the apartment my husband and I rented in Ascot Vale in Melbourne before we bought our house, and I really treasure them, they are such a reflection of that time of our lives, as I'm sure your pictures are to you.

i especially love the portrait - how serious you were!!! And thank you for sharing one of your Sammy too.

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 3:30:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It's fascinating to me how your memories elicit so many of my own.
I always enjoy your photos and commentary. This one was more poignant in many ways, I think because of the black and white photos.

You look so content in your digs and utterly gorgeous! Smiled seeing the piano where you wrote "Spoon River."

(I didn't blog about it but I thought of you, when my daughter "Sapphire" was accepted to the theatre arts program at the univeristy of her choice, early decision, in the honors program several weeks ago.)

THank you for being so open to share so much of your life. This furnished apartment was luck and you deserved that. The memories with your sister, now departed, must be especially indescribable.
Hugs to you,
GeL

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 6:38:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It looks like a wonderful little appartment, Naomi. It's great you have saved those pictures and that of your friend as well. I wish I had pics of my first appt without roommates, it was a tiny place... Lovely post!

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 8:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your apartment looked perfect! It so reminds me of my first flat which was also small, furnished with some plain and some ghastly furniture adn I warmed it all up with pictures adn knick-knacks of my own. I have such happy memories of being there, a bit like you.

It is fantastic you have these pics - thanks for sharing them with us :-)

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 8:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi,
What a great story. I can only imagine Hollywood of the 60's. I cracked up at the "portable" TV back then. Those pix would make a wonderful (he's going to say it) Shutterfly book. :)
~S

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 9:00:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a fun post! It makes me remember my first little apartment that I shared with a friend while I was in college - the whole getting all your own little things and setting everything up the way you wanted it - instead of the way the parents had it.

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 12:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing your early years! I enjoyed your post very much! The apartment is lovely and I just LOVE what you did with it.
What wonderful memories for you!
I loved all the pictures. I was not much of a picture taker until the children were born. I only have older pictures in my mind.

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 3:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh I really loved this post Naomi!! Your apartment was so cute! I can see being happy there! The little TV is so cute and certainly one you don't see anymore! How things have changed!! Love the tree on the wallpaper. All just lovely, including you and Sammy!!

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 3:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

There is something so special about your first apartment, even if it WAS furnished with someone else's stuff. The place was yours, and you obviously made it into a lovely nest. We moved to our house in Woodland hills in April of 1961 (from Encino) and the original furniture, now long gone, was that swedish modern stuff like yours. So 60's.

My friend had a similar wallpaper in her dining room. It was a very thick paper, textured, with a cypress tree in gold and green tones. I remember those kinds of mural papers so well.

Thanks for another walk down memory lane.

Michele sent me.

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 3:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for this, Naomi. I've always loved the style of Polaroid pictures. They have a certain patina all their own, and I feel as if I'm going back to my childhood when I look at them.

You were wise to so expertly catalog each phase of your life in pictures. I love the way you weave words and images, and hope you never stop sharing these glimpses of your life past and present.

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 4:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love this post! it brings me back to my youth. The furniture and the appliances... even the TV! And those old Polaroids with the stuff you had to roll onto them. PERFECT!

Michele sent me on this trip down memory lane,

Mike

Friday, February 9, 2007 at 10:07:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi as usual you capture me with your lovely story of your colourful life. The pictures you took are lovely and of course you look very lovely there as well.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 12:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing these photos. They are beautiful and who said they're not good. They may be old but they're still good photos. You can't take that away.
By the way, you mentioned you wanted to see my first premature grandson's picture now that he has grown. If you're still interested, here are the sites:
http://lifran.blogspot.com/2007/01/brothers-love.html
http://lifran.blogspot.com/2007/01/wordless-wednesday-do-you-see-what-i.html

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 12:38:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

We had three apartments in two years after getting married. A couple of these looked a lot like yours, especially the little kitchen. The third one was not furnished and so began the collecting of donated furniture. Looking back it is really funny to see what strange combinations we had.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 7:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello! I've been lurking at your site since the Bloggy Tour of Homes. I enjoy all the stories you tell and am finally posting to ask if you have written a book. Have you? You have so many great stories that should be shared. Thanks for letting us in on your world!

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 7:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

WOW! I missed this post! (how'd that happen?) I have been busy a bit lately - but I try to get here frequently enough I don't miss anything! LOL!

Naomi, this apartment was FABULOUS! Soooooo different from MY first apartment! (I don't think it ever occurred to me to try to find a 'furnished' place) I had nothin'! LOTS of nothin'! LOL! But this was marvelous! You must have really felt like you were something moving in there right off the bat!

No wonder you have such great memories ... you have everything SO well documented!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 7:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I missed this too - too busy working and stuff!!

What an adorable little apartment! We're not so good at apartments (flats) here, usually the one-bedroom ones are in converted Victorian or Edwardian houses and are wall-to-wall grunge.

cq

struggling to get blogger to accept my username.....

Monday, February 12, 2007 at 12:50:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great apt. Naomi. And so perfect for a single girl. Spacious and comfy. I bet you loved it there. And to think you only lived in that one place till you moved where you are now.
Thanks for sharing these with us.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 3:29:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.