Saturday, February 03, 2007
amaryllis update

So in documenting the flowers as they open, here above is how this pod looked on January 31....I love that the color looked so pale and delicate...but, the next day, February 1st, the color was deeper and the pod had opened just a bit more, as you can see below..... And then, on February 2nd.....another change....the color getting darker and richer and the pod opening just a bit more and a seperation is occuring as you can see below. I love seeing the very dark color on the lower part of these blossoms...and not knowing exactly what other changes will occur as each day passes....and sometimes, each hour....

This is such a lovely place for these flowers to be opening----I mean in front of this amazing and moving painting....A few people have mentioned the painting and asked about it....It is by a brilliantly talented painter named Morris Broderson. I have known Morris for a very very long time. As a matter of fact, I met him the very first month that I moved to Los Angeles, in February of 1961, and we became great great friends.... Here is this sensitive beautiful painting with nothing in front of it....This is a self portrait that is the last of a special series that Morris began painting over forty years ago....the series was called "The Sound Of Flowers"....You see, Morris is deaf and the boy in the painting, "listening", has appeared before in a different form over the forty or so years....The picture to the left was one of the earliest paintings in the series. And the painting that you see behind the Amaryllis is the very last painting of the series. I love that the boy is smiling and still listening, so to speak---happy to be hearing the flowers....

I will be writing more about Morris and showing more of his work in a future post....but, here below is the way the beautiful Amaryllis looked this morning....with this stunning painting behind it. And below, a closer look from a different angle where you can actually see that these two blossoms have seperated.... And on even closer inspection you can see that the inside color of these blossoms may not really be the same as the outside color....the mysteries and wonders of nature continue to inspire....And then, going back to the original angle with the rose in the painting behind the Amaryllis, once again we can see that edge over on the right of the "live" flower just peeking out looking somewhat lighter....but, will the inside actually be lighter.....we shall know very very soon.....
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beyond words.....I wrote Earl H. an email including a few of the pictures of this wonderful basket of bulbs since he is the person who sent them to me, because I wanted him to know how much pleasure I am getting from watching their magical growth and I wanted to share that growth with him....He is very pleased....!

And this below, taken late this afternoon.... Look at how much the blossoms have seperated during this day....I find that simply amazing! And just below is one more close shot of this great great beauty.... Ahhhhhh, so very very lovely.....What will tomorrow bring? I can't wait to see....talk about having something to look forward to....I love the way you can just see that slight unfurling of the petal over there on the right....!





More To Come......








25 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a gorgeous color! I'm really enjoying watching this through your camera :)

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 8:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am glad that you are sharing this "grand opening" with us. That slight unfurlment of the petal will result in quick opening, I think.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 8:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I feel like I'm watching a birth in extraordinary, close-set detail.

Thank you for sharing the history of the fabulous painting and the artist who created it. From the early glimpses, I could tell it was special. Indeed it was, and is.

I love the stories you tell with your lens, Naomi. It's magic that technology can almost routinely tie so many people into the life of a remarkable woman.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 9:06:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

If the color continues to deepen, it may end up a light red. If you had all these in order in one of those old time motion books you could flip through the pages and almost have a movie of them growing and blooming.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 9:56:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So lovely. I wondered what color it would be. :)

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 10:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That is very cool, Naomi. Great shots and what dramatic transformation. I agree with Carmi about telling the story through your lens.

Michele sent me this time,

Mike

Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 10:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

oooooooing and ahhhhing here!
What a lovely color.
WOW! Spectacular!
Thank you for sharing Morris with us.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 4:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It IS exciting! And I FEEL your excitement - and did when I watched my own amaryllis come to life... but I could NEVER do the play by play the way you do! AWESOME!

You know... I'm curious about your BIG flower! The one that will only bloom once and then die... how is IT coming along?

Naomi, I never was MUCH of a movie person (or television either for thta matter) but I did watch my share when I was younger. The older I've gotten the less I am entertained by "watching" anything... I'd much rather be participating. So that is one problem. The OTHER problem is that even the "good" movies these days seem to feel a need to be trashed with obsenity and foul language. I guess maybe I'm somewhat of a "prude" -- but I just don't enjoy hearing the "F" word just for the sake of obtaining a more desirable(???) rating! Or seeing nudity tossed about haphazardly! There's art ... and then there's MOST of what I've seen come about in recent years! I DO agree with you about "studio" years -- though! There was some FABULOUS stuff back then!!!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 5:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow, the flower is blooming faster then I thought it would! I can already see that it won't be a disappointment to you!!! I hope Earl reads your blog so he can see the results!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 6:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, go here to see a pretty amaryllis:

http://redondowriter.typepad.com/
sacredordinary/

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 10:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, the amaryllis is such a lovely color! It will be truly awesome when fully open. I look forward to seeing the photos then! Nature at its best!

Thanks for the info on the painting as well. Very interesting!!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 11:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, the colour is just superb. And it SO belongs in front of that amazing painting.

I love your house! It's full of so many precious details and everything means something. That's what 'home' should be imho.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 2:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, back from Michele's...

I love how you know so many of these creators of art on a personal level. I mean, we can all appreciate the art of others, but we're really only guessing as to what the creator was thinking about. True, it can be part of the allure, but it's also nice to have definitive insight on what the artist was like and the inspiration behind the work.

Mike

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 3:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Spookily enough, I noticed this painting partially shown behind the original post about these flowers. And I was going to ask you about it, because I could tell how beautifully painted it was. Thanks for showing us! Beautiful and serene piece.
~S

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 3:16:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

We are listening. Thanks for the background on the painting. I love the pastel peach and light green in the first shot. The larger the bloom gets the brighter! What a wonder!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 7:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

PS!! Thanks for your comments! I meant to add in my post that 3 yr old kindy is just 2 sessions a week - not fulltime or anything! Sheesh! lol!!! :)

Sunday, February 4, 2007 at 10:25:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another one of gods creations and thank you for sharing it with us. My little 4.5 thinks it is beautiful and can't wait to see the pretty flower (mind you she would love to smell it so her nose will understand the perfume - her words)

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 3:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Isn't it wonderful? Mine has started to open too :-) I love the way you have documented this adn I just know you are not going to be disappointed with the show of blooms you are going to get.

Thanks for showing the painting as well. I love the concept of listening to the flowers. I can only imagine what the painter meant by this but I imagine being deaf you can't hear anything so potentially eveything might make a sound if only you can hear it. As flowers are so beautiful then the sound they would make would be glorious! It looks a bit like a child listening to the sea in a shell :-)

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 3:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely flower and wow… that’s just a stunning portrait.

Happy Monday!

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 5:21:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a beautiful colour your plant is! The detail in which you record your plants, be they indoors or out is remarkable, long may it continue.

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 7:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a great thread of Amarillys's photos, Naomi! The colour is breathtaking!

Thank you for introduce Morris to us, too.

PS: Thanks for your kind words about the Market on my current post!

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 7:24:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I agree with Carmi....it's like birthing a baby and getting to watch it.
Gorgeous flowers! And loved the painting of the sound of flowers.

Monday, February 5, 2007 at 4:54:00 PM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Those flowers in front of the painting are very surreal, and pretty.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 at 8:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful. Beautiful. And what a compliment the picture is to them. You constantly remind me to admire the simple, natural things in our world.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 2:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have relaxed my mind and stood back to stare at the creation of beauty before you. What has grown of God's gift, and your hands, in contrast to the art long since created. They blend and move together, becoming more, and more with eachhtime the angle changes.

Beautiful Dear, beautiful

Cindi
It's me from Northern California but your commment police won't let me comment the other was =-)

Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 4:28:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.