Friday, January 19, 2007
more movies, the globes, etc...

So Meryl Streep ("The Devil Wears Prada") said on the Golden Globes among many many fabulous things that came from her lips when she won for "The Devil Wears Prada", that if there is a film you really want to see and it is not playing at your local theatre, go down to that theatre and speak to the manager and ask "WHY?" Great Great advice from the great great Meryl! And if I lived anywhere else, besides Los Angeles or New York, or Chicago, etc., I would take Meryl's advice and hurry on down to my local theatres and do just that.....Just ask why?
She was eloquent, and funny, too....

About "Venus" with the great and wonderfully charming and gorgeously talented Peter O'Toole....This will not be a movie for everybody but it surely is a wonderful and truthful film....It is poignant and funny and at times, a bit creepy to some people, though I didn't feel that way----maybe you have to be 75 1/2 to really understand this film on a truly deep cellular level....It is a 'small' movie....that is to say, it is not a huge canvas like the two movies I spoke of in my last post....it is about one particular aspect of life...when one is facing one's mortality and see's the grim reaper coming on down the street towards you, and in this case, about the needs and desires of one man (Peter O'Toole) at this juncture of his life....It was to me ultimately a beautiful movie about friendship and a man's flickering desire to hold on to life for as long as possible.....

Peter O'Toole gives that rare and perfect performance by an actor, bringing all his history, his humor, his heart and his extraordinary talent to this strange but lovely picture....The young woman in the film, a young actress named Jodie Whittaker, is quite wonderful, too, as is everybody. His best friend, is played by Leslie Phillips, and he is just magnificent, too, and the always superb Richard Griffiths as well as that truly special and gifted actress Vanessa Redgrave playing Peter O'toole's wife---all giving memorable performances in this very special film.Do ask your local movie theatre about "Venus". Because, just maybe if you speak up and enough other people speak up, films like "Venus" will play in a much wider release than they are now not playing! Power To The People!


Can we talk about Isaiah Washington for a minute? I mean, what the hell is going on with him? He denies having said something back in October that he already apologized for having said on the set of "Grey's Anatomy", and then says it again, to the press no less, after the Golden Globes! There are many ugly words in this world. Words that are unmistakable in their meaning and intention. And he should know this in his soul. He obviously has a problem.....


And let's talk about Donald Trump, too. Oy!
Among other indignities, Donald Trump gets a "STAR" on Hollywood Boulevard? The world is upside down and nuts....Well, we already know that from the situation we are in with Iraq and with this President of ours....so depressing. Well, it depresses me, too, for other reasons, that Donald Trump would be given a 'star' on Hollywood Boulevard and there are others....many many others, who have had careers in this business and have a history with a body of work deserving of a place on the Boulevard....like Larry Parks, that get nothing! We have been trying to get Larry Parks a "star" for over twenty years, but that is a whole other post, which I will do, but suffice it to say, the above mentioned 'star' for the above mentioned 'bully', is a travesty! And here is a lovely picture of Larry Parks for those who are too young to remember him.... And let me just say that the two pictures that Larry Parks is best remembered for are "The Jolson Story" and "Jolson Sings Again". More people went into Show Business because of these films than you can even mention....and Mr. Parks was nominated for an Academy Award for "The Jolson Story". That should count for something, shouldn't it?



And let's talk about "Running With Scissors for just one quick second. I watched "Running With Scissors" and I'm sorry, I don't get it. Some wonderful performances in a film that confounds me...I haven't got a clue as to what the filmmaker was trying to get across...A strange, strange picture, which I'd love to be able to recommend, but I can't. I'm sure there are people who completely disagree with me and I absolutely respect that...Well, that's it for the moment, my dears....








More To Come, For Sure......







30 Comments:
had this to say:

Donald Trump gets a star on the walk of fmae??? Why??? Obviously money does talk adn patently it has learnt to act as well! A travesty as you say.

I saw 'The Devil Wears Prada' on the flight to New York adn enjoyed Meryl Streeps performance very much. I'm also glad that Peter O'Toole won. Well deserved!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 1:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It's a shame that Peter O'Toole didn't win (thanks for letting me know!), but it sound slike Forrest Whittaker deserved it. I will have to give 'Last King of Scotland' a watch.

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 2:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The King of Combovers gets a Star? Well that just sent that whole concept into the toilet. He has rendered it meaningless.
Still voting for Whitney every day!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 4:37:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Donald Trump isn't the first star on the walk of fame that I just don't understand why! There are too many DESERVING actors that go without a star.

All I can do is hope that all the hoopla over Isaiah Washington is wrong. I'd hate to see him leave the show ..but if he really is saying things about Knight, then he deserves to leave.

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 5:30:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved "The Devil Wears Prada". It was a great movie. But I don't know if I've ever seen Meryl be anything but great.

Kendra

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 6:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Whew...SO much to comment on today.
Streep....I SO admire her. Saw The Devil Wears Prada and she was superb playing that character.
I CAN'T wait to see Venus now, after you told a little about it. MY kind of movie and I'll add it to my list, so thanks for that.
Trump got a STAR? GIVE me a break! My feelings on that echo yours.
And that Washington....sorry, but I think Gray's Anatomy needs to give him the boot right off the show. I don't even like his character on there!
Let's see...did I forget anything? lol Have a great Friday, Naomi.

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 7:35:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oooooh...one more thing!
Running With Scissors....well....I happened to meet the author in person, Burroughs. And lemme tell ya...I was NOT impressed! Not in the least! I thought he was a pompous, arrogant, person. This was at a writers conference...and at the very dressy banquet, HE sat there with his baseball cap on ALL evening. Like HE is so high and mighty, those things are allowed.
As for his book....I haven't read it, simply because based on his attitude, I had no desire to. So the movie....forget it! I wouldn't waste my time. And to be honest I could NOT understand what all the hoopla was about for the book and then the movie and to get such top stars...hey, go figure, right?

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 7:40:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I loved Meryl Streep in Out of Africa, I think that is my favorite of all her movies.

Personally, I don't care for anything Alec Baldwin is in these days. Perhaps it is just me, but he used to do better work?

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 7:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I certainly do agre with you about Trump and also Isiaah. I was told once (and perhaps you can confirm it) that stars have to pay something for a star on the walk of fame. I think Trump paid for his!

Streep is wonderful in everything, as is Peter O' Toole.

I read the book "Running with Scissors" and I didn't understand much of it either, so it is easy to see how the movie could be odd.

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 8:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those were interesting thoughts on a variety of things. I had heard Venus was bad because it showed stalking as okay but sounds like that was not your take on it at all. I notice a lot of times what the critics say about something I don't see it that way at all. O

n Trump, I read that he got it based on getting someone to nominate him (who had a connection to him) and then he paid for it. I guess it's $15,000 to get one there but don't know who has the right to nominate. After Trump got his and 'trumpeted' it as always, a lot of people questioned and mentioned others who were there and nobody knew why-- plus those still not there. I do remember Larry Parks and it does seem strange he doesn't have one there. Does Betty Garrett?

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am looking forward to see "The Devil Wears Prada". Love Mary Streep and I love absolutely all her movies! Love so much her movie with Clint Eastwood, "The Bridges Of Madison County".
Thank you Naomi, I am updated about movie's news by you!

And thank you for your visit and nice comment, as always!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 10:03:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Loved Meryl Streep's acceptance speech. I still haven't seen The Devil Wears Prada, but I hope to at some point!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I do want to see Meryl Streep and Peter O'Toole's films as they are among the very finest of Hollywood's actors, but what I want to see most of all is the long overdue STAR on the WALK OF FAME FOR LARRY PARKS. Thank you Naomi from the Larry fans all over the world who agree with you.

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 2:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I don't understand Donald Trump getting a star. Give me a break. But then I searched some and I see Judge Judy has one. Oy Vey!

Meryl Streep is great in all her films I think!!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 4:46:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Re:The Trump star

Now, Naomi, you know(Mae West had it right) "Goodness has nothing to do with it!" That's showbiz!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 5:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Holy cow, I didn't know about the Trumpster. Yikes, that is so sad. Seriously. I can't imagine why he should be bestowed that honor. Anyone?? As for Isaiah, I missed it. What did he say to the press?? Fill me in!

Friday, January 19, 2007 at 8:46:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I loved Merle's speech at the Golden Globes. She is something else. Beautiful, talented, witty...I went out of my den to find Martin to tell him how much I enjoyed Merle's speech. She is one classy lady! Now that DreamGirls and Little Children were nominated they will play at our local theatre but they weren't before. In this small area a film has to have right much buzz before it can play. They just can't make any money. But I always try to go back and watch them on video (I want to see "The Queen" now) But I am going to start doing like Merle suggested and request smaller independent films.

As for Trump, that is just a joke. That is what is wrong with our society now! People can buy anything! Well I tell you one little womam that isn't for sale!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 6:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I thought I read somewhere that the whole walk of fame thing is a sham. It's my understanding that the stars are invited to purchase a star...which turns it into the world's most egregious vanity play. Which in turn likely explains why Trump got his.

Contrary to my usual character, I haven't bothered to research any of this. I have no patience for Mr. Trump or any of his ilk. But it wouldn't surprise me that his star is the result not of an altruistic award-granting process, but of something that he purchased to boost his own outsized ego.

I'd much rather hang with you, Naomi. Your perspectives on the world of the arts are far more sincere.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 9:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I saw the Last King of Scotland recently (it has only just come out in UK) and I thought it a very strong performance and a well crafted film (if somewhat harrowing).

I agree that its good to get older films shown on the big screen - some films are just so much better on the big screen.

I happened to be in Hollywood a couple of years ago when Nick Cage got his hand prints done and that seemed to bring a lot of other celebrities out as well. I hope the main spirit of fim stars is upheld.

rashbre

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 10:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

i loved meryl streep's performance in "the devil wears prada". haven't seen "venus", but will have to now after your recommendation. we don't have a movie theatre in our town so i usually wait until they come out onvideo.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Money talks and Trump has brought in a lot of dough with that Apprentice reality show. In the final edit, Hollywood is about making money not artistry.

I've not seen any of the movies you mentioned Naomi but I hope to see The Devil Wears Prada soon. I read the book a couple of years ago and I suspect it's even better as a movie.

I just recently rewatched My Favorite Year which starred Peter O'Toole playing a lightly fictionalized Errol Flynn in a performance that was somewhat biographical for O'Toole as well. Very good movie.

Michele sent me over, Naomi. Hi!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 1:16:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've not seen the Prada movie but have wanted to. I don't know about Donald Trump though...I've just never liked him.

I'm here via Michele's but I'm glad I came. I've been here before but I'm going to have a look around and see what I've missed since the last time I was here.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 4:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the movie reviews! I haven't seen any of them yet. I just can't seem to find the time :(

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 6:30:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele.
Naomi... if you send me your address by e-mail, I will try and send you one of my brother's CD's... Karen C. might get a kick out of it since she knew him.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 7:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i heard that you now PAY for a star - and that the price is about $15,000.

I think that is how trump got his star.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 8:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Mr. Washington does not hide his bigotry very well. How can anyone deny a comment that the entire set heard, then apologize, then say it again! And, he OUTED an actor in the process, which can have serious repercussions on an actor's career.

I loved "Devil Wears Prada" and I loved her speech/comments. :)

And I heard about "Running/Scissors" but haven't seen it. Hmmm. Not a good sign when a film's message isn't clear to a seasoned professional like you, Naomi.

Brrr, are you cold enough yet? My scarves are getting a work out lately.
~S :)

Saturday, January 20, 2007 at 9:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

"The Devil Wears Prada" was a wonderful movie.
My daughter and I loved it. Streep was terrific!! She always is.

Trump will be remembered forever for his HAIR.
It is truly hitonious!!

Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 2:47:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love when you give us your take on movies and actors. We caught Peter O'Toole in the story of Don Juan on PBS not long ago. It was great. I love Meryl as an actress and a person.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 7:08:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What an INSULT to the Acting Profession!! Then again I didn't know Judge Judy had one..??? we may have to push for another street for our own 'Walk of Fame' for Legit Actors and Entertainers. No wonder The Golden Age of Stage and Film is so revered by so many. Today it is all 'Trump-ets and Cruisers', Money and Scientology!! & we just want to be entertained! I have a dog i'd like to take walkies on the Walk of Fame. Meryl Streep is great.. as i also think is Susan Sarandon. To keep his star Trump needs a part in a Movie.... How about the Trucker in a remake of 'Thelma and Louise'!!! I am also a Judi Dench fan.
Yes Rain, Betty Garrett has a well deserved Star on the walk and we're still hoping for one for Larry Parks.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 at 7:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What IS with that Donald STAR??? What the _ _ _ _ has he EVER done to deserve that??? I saw Prada a few months ago -- well ... several! I've actually now been to the movie theatre TWICE this year! (that's more than I've been altogether in the last TEN years!) I LOVED Prada! I enjoy Meryl Streep sooooo much! I just think she is fabulous! And yesterday a friend and I went to see Dreamgirls! It was NOTHING like what I expected... I don't know WHAT I was expecting ... but it wasn't that! LOL! But I did enjoy it. LOL!

Monday, January 22, 2007 at 8:36:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.