Tuesday, January 02, 2007
the party - december 31st

Fabulous food began our evening....Above, Prosciutto and Melon being put together in the kitchen...Delicious...along with many other goodies...Warm Brie with Apricots.....Crudittee's with two different dips....Warm Vegetarian Quiche--passed amongst us....A chicken-curry with raisins-something-or-other that is so fantastic I must have it every year---served on crackers....

Our main course was Beef Bourginion, with little Pearl Onions and served on a bed of Rice with Pea's and Pine Nuts, and a carrot Purree---(Oh My....), A Beautiful Salad, and little baby Croissants and butter....(I did not take any pictures of all this because I was too busy eating!)But....then came dessert---This always Scrumptious Lemon Cake..., and an Almond Roca Cake and some little Fruit Tarts....with Coffee---Decaf & Regular....

We sat around for a short while letting our dinner settle and sharing the usual fun things that we do before 'The White Elephant Game began....Above is Garrett Parks, (Betty's oldest son) and his daughter Maddie, (Betty's grandaughter) with his lovely wife Karen's arm just barely showing in the picture.

The wondefully talented and dear Director/Teacher, Mark Travis, caught by the camera as he was talking with Andy Parks, Betty's younger son.... And there is Andy, now. As you can see, everyone still has there napkins...they are new and go so beautifully with my new Holiday Tablecloth, here below.... And here, of course is Betty with her darling grandaughter Maddie, who will turn eleven years old on January 12th....! (Which just happens to be my mothers Birthday, too....and if my mother were still alive she would be turning 108 this January 12th, 2007...Good Lord!) I LOVE those beautiful Cobalt Crystal Blue Glasses....they were my mother's and after she died, I got the 6 tumbler's, like the one above, that were still 'in tact' in this pattern...three years later, I found another six of these precious glasses in this exact same pattern in a little junk-type Thrift shop in Cathedral City, near Palm Springs....talk about excited....! I don't think the Thrift Shop Proprieter knew how truly precious they were....Needless to say, I got them!

Here is the BEST picture of the night....Betty & Maddie, together...the resemblence is remarkable, I think.... Both 'naturals' in front of that camera...Maddie certainly has the heritage of a performer...both her grandparents on one side "actors"....her mother a singer/actress, her father a musician/composer...her uncle, an actor....who knows what she will ultimately choose to do and be, but for now she is one very remarkable almost eleven year old little girl, who is now as tall as her dear grandmother.....!

These two lovely ladies below, are here at this yearly party and have been for years and years...On the left of the picture, the beautiful Seemah Wilder, and on the right is the talented fabulous Jacquie Scott....I have known Jacquie for almost 46 years....Seemah for over 31 years....she is a "new" friend...(lol)...And on the other side if the table, Jacquie's dear husband Gene Lesser, smiling and happy with something the adorable Maddie had said.... And then, (in the picture below---another friend of 39 years) Dianne Travis, had come to sit down with those of us at the table, and she too was mesmerized by whatever it was that Maddie was saying....And then, it was almost time for the fun to begin..."The White Elephant Game"...and you know the old expression, "one's man's treasure is another man's trash"....Well, we had a fabulous combination of both of these types of things in the game this year....Here are Andy Parks and his lovely dear wife Katy, getting ready to settle down for 'the game'.... And Garrett's beautiful wife Karen, who also happens to be Maddie's Momma, was sitting in one of the green chairs near the couch.... But somehow, everybody took up other positions at the start of the game.... One of the most popular "gifts"...a true treasure as it turned out was the DVD Set of Chaplin Films...It moved around the circle about 15 times before the game was over.... Maddie, "acting" for the camera...It was amazing how this DVD set moved around the circle, but in the end, the man who opened it, Andy Parks, got it back in the last 7 seconds of the game, having rolled a "seven" just before 'time' was called....

Here is one of the funniest 'gifts' that was in the game....The "Rude Talking" Parrot...We certainly had a lot of laughs with him...what a funny potty mouth he has and this was one of Betty's Favorite 'gifts', and she luckily ended up with it...! Here he is with Mark Travis holding him up...He is interesting because when his switch is turned on, he is motion-activated....So every time he was moved....he would say some terribly funny rude thing like..."Polly wants an Ef-ing Cracker..." LOL! And this was repeated a few times, in case you didn't hear it good, the first time...

There was another movable talking "toy"...It was the Flashing Santa...and he was quite amazing....Flashing Santa spoke and warned you that he had something very special for you and then finally when he and you were ready, his coat opened and his pants dropped...(but not to worry, he had on red underwear....!) He was pretty hilarious, too....

And here to finish off the party feeling of the night...are a series of photo's where each person is wearing these flashing glasses which were in the game...First, Garret, then Maddie, and then Dianne.... I love that bow on Garrett's forhead.... Maddie looks quite serious like maybe she is pretending to be from another planet.... And the most festive of all, Dianne...with the color from the lights spilling onto her hair....Very Very Festive....

And so...another New Year's Eve, has bitten the dust....A wonderful fun evening with great good, great good friends who are 'family' to me, and ringing in the New Year, together, once again.....

So, Happy Happy New Year, to one and all....I didn't go to sleep till about 5am and so today I have been recouping....napping on and off, and doing just a few loads of wash....A great way to begin 2007! And here was the sunset on this very first day of 2007.....






More To Come, For Sure.....













41 Comments:
had this to say:

It sounds like you had a fantastically fun evening. That banquet sounds wonderful and my mouth is watering just reading about it. I love parma ham and melon adn am sure I could have polished off the whole tray, Lol!

I have never heard of the white elephant game but it looks like you had some hilarious items involved and I can imagine the laughs you all had.

That sunset looks glorious too. The sky is positively glowing behind those trees. Wonderful pic!

My new year was much quieter, a film, a bottle of bubbly and some chocolates :-)

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 2:44:00 AM PST 

Blogger tas
had this to say:

That white elephant game sounds like fun! How do you play it?

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 5:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful party! It looks like you had a great time with dear friends. Very important.
I love your cobalt blue tumblers. Blue is my absolute favorite, and I love those tumblers as well.
REst up.

Kendra

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 6:27:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sounds like so much fun! I always end up spending New Year's Eve alone - the pitfalls of being married to a musician...lol!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 7:21:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

this am--jan 2--there was agreat moonset. Like a huge bowl of tapioca custard--followed by a great sunrise! Perhaps you can shoot the moon (and sunrise) if you get up (or stay up)(lol) to about 4:30 or 5 AM. love and happy new year!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:05:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

this am--jan 2--there was agreat moonset. Like a huge bowl of tapioca custard--followed by a great sunrise! Perhaps you can shoot the moon (and sunrise) if you get up (or stay up)(lol) to about 4:30 or 5 AM. love and happy new year!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

mmmmm, i want some of that you had for dinner! lol

what a great time you all had!! and what a way to usher out the old year and bring in the new but with friends like that!!

the laundry can wait.. take a nap! lol

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love Maddie...she is a doll...and it sounds/looked like a wonderful way to spend an evening...

My eening was VERY quiet....a few phone calls from family and friends.......

All the best to you Naomi for 2007...

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:33:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A very Happy New Year to you and your friends. Do they mind being pictured on your blog, I presume not? I'm not at all sure how mine would feel if I 'posted them across the blogosphere!'

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 8:37:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
I loved reading and seeing another White Elephant New Year's Eve tradition at your home. Radiant friends and such fun gifts! You regaled us like a story telling hostess- well actually like a photo journalist, now. You've become so adept with the camera. I so enjoyed this! Also, I'm fairly certain I spotted several of your vivacious paintings. What a treat!

I was chaperoning a New Year's Eve party for my daughter. I'm not allowed to post photos, unfortunately!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy New Year, Naomi.

Betty and Maddie are definitely naturals in front of the camera. I hope the coming year is filled with joy for you. Cheers!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 10:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely evening/early morning you had! The food sounds great!! I have heard of Prosciutto so much but have never been able to find it in the stores here. They use it on the Food Network all the time!

Maddie is certainly a lovely girl!!

What a fun time!! Love the blue glasses too, both the kind they wore and the kind you drank out of!!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 11:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love it!! Sugarbear has those exact same glasses, I got them at the circus for him last year. TOo funny! I am bound and determined to be better about stopping by now that the holidays are over.......I've missed you!! I just hung up my new calendar, and am loving the fact I can show it off to everyone. =) Be talking soon! XOXOX

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

OH MY...Such an array of delectable food....your menues are too WONDERFUL, chosen by a LADY with STYLE and as always, another night filled with special memories shared by DEAR FRIENDS
HAPPY 2007 NAOMI.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 3:09:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, this looked like so much fun, Naomi! Almost felt like I was right there with you.
It's amazing how much Maddie resembles Betty. They both look gorgeous.
That game looked like a lot of fun. What a fun way to ring in the new year....good friends, good food (which sounded wonderful) and good times. It's easy to see you enjoyed it a lot. And thanks for sharing it with us.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 3:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a fabulous party - food, fun and beautiful guests. Isn't it wonderful to have our "family of choice" around us. We are so blessed. Happy New Year my dear friend - here we go, the saga continues. Hugs Abound.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The food sounds wonderful and I want to know who catered it for you - or did you cook it? Love the photos; it appears that a good time was had by all. The white elephant gifts sparked a lot of fun, I think. I'd love to have the potty-mouth parrot (my grandkids would love it and their parents would hate it....LOL)

Our New Year's Eve was spent in the company of my brother-in-law and my youngest granddaughter, who were here visiting. We had NY strip steaks, baked potatoes, green beans and walnut fudge - but your dinner sounds way better!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 5:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I forgot to say that I have a tumbler shaped like that from my grandmother - but it is clear - not blue. Blue is better!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 5:53:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy New Year Naomi .. may '07 be good to you. Thank you so much for your (continual) sharing of great pictures. Great looking food too!!! Curry is one of my favourite Dishes.. so THAT made my mouth water. Do enjoy your Blog.... Best Wishes... Jan.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 6:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a great party! I love the photos of everyone in the glasses!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 6:06:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

What a festive way to spend New Years Eve! Ours was boring... recording ball games and watching the Times Square ball drop.

Yours was much more fun!

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! Wow!
What a wonderful party!
Food, Friends,and laughter it doesn't get any better than that.
I loved the pictures...
The blue glasses were radical...
I have missed you!
Extra hugs for you.
Happy New Year!

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 at 11:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy New Year Naomi!!

I loved reading your new years eve party post - the food sounded just SO scrumptious!! And what wonderful photos especially the pic of Betty Garrett with her beautiful little granddaughter!

I ended up with a cold on New Year's Eve so didn't do very much but have promised myself next year I'll make up for it!

How does the white elephant game work? I've never heard of it (might scan the comments now to see if anyone else has explained it).

Anyway, all the best for a fabulous 2007 to you!

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 4:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, and PS: my brother in law has one of those parrots!! They're just hysterical!!! lol!!!

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 4:09:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love playing "white elephant". It just brings everyone together in such a fun way....from your pictures it looks like it was a wonderful evening with great friends.

PS- your cobalt glasses are a treasure and so pretty! I love them.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 5:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good morning my dear Naomi! A Very Happy New Year, again! Love this post! It sounds like you had a great and a wonderful party! What a precious this gathering with lovely and dear friends! And the party’s menu looks delicious! Yummy!

I have never heard of the white elephant game but it looks like very fun!

Your cobalt crystal blue glass is just beautiful! And your sunset’s picture on the first day of 2007 is amazing as always!

Many hugs to you my dear friend!

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love your parties, Naomi! I love those flashing glasses and the cobalt tumber on the table cloth made for a smashing photo! And the warmth of people sharing comes through so well. We did a white elephant here on Christmas eve for our neighborhood but we call it a Yankee swap.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 6:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh WOW! You throw the BEST parties! Can I come next year? This looks like you guys just had TOO much fun!!! What did you do when the clock struck 12? (I can't believe you left that part out!) LOL!

I feel the pounds adding up just LOOKING at that food! And reading about it! Mmmmm....

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 9:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a fun way to bring in the new year, ll that food, great friends and the fun game. Glad you had fun. My New Years party went well too. All the teens ate and played video games till 2:30am. My husband and I played Tri-Ominos for most of that time and had a blast ourselves.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Why! It's a veritable feast of foods, gifts and laughter! Awesome! :)

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 5:22:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think this is the best posting I've ever read. It describes everything so brilliant as I was there joining the party. Thank you so much for this very livly and positiv post. Not to forget to great photos.Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful 2007.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 6:24:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy New Year!

By the sound of the menu, and the smiles on all the faces, it must have been one fabulous party!

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 6:37:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a fabulous party!

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail, eh? Ha!

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 8:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

A flashing Santa & a rude talking parrot... what more could one ask for??!! Great fun!!

I want you to notice that in the first photo of Betty and Maddie, Betty looks like she\'s wearing the cat tree for a hat, and Maddie looks like she\'s wearing the reflecting chandelier for a hat.

I\'m hungry for warm Brie & apricots!!!!!

Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 10:31:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great looking party with interesting people but more importantly those with a long history together. I can't think of a better way to spend the last day of the year-- well maybe one :)

Thursday, January 4, 2007 at 11:43:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great photos, Naomi! Some party. I love the one of Maddie with Charlie Chaplain, and, of course, with her grandmother.

At my in-law White Elephant, the funniest thing going around was a parrot watering can. It didn’t sing, however. So it’s official. 2007—the year of the parrot.

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 7:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a fun party, Happy New Year Aunty Em !
Our New Years was very very quiet just Mark and I falling asleep on the couch lol.

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 2:06:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a fantastic blog. I feel as though I was there. The people you have filled your life with seem to be so interesting.

Thank you for sharing your New Years Eve!

Friday, January 5, 2007 at 8:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful sunset to start the New Year!

Saturday, January 6, 2007 at 1:41:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

No one tells a story as thoroughly as you, Naomi. I wish I could have been there. As it was, I was blessed to spend it with family in Florida.

Your writing and pictures evoke a spirit of life and living that makes me wish we all had more time on this planet to enjoy it all. Thankfully, I got to be a part of your world over the past year. May it continue into the next, and the next...

Sunday, January 7, 2007 at 6:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi... that IS a fantastic photo of them. A framer! (Shutterfly now does framing! lol).

And that sunset photo may be the best sunset I've seen on your blog. I love the color and evenness. Very serene.

I love those light up glasses! :)
~S

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 at 12:03:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.