Tuesday, August 06, 2013
patio cactus

Here, above, is a really Beautiful plant.....I don't remember the name, I'm sorry to say, but it is part of the greater Cactus family.......
Here, above, is a picture of that same plant, a little further away.  It is in a very large pot with some of it's cousins....At one time, I had the very beautiful original mother plant.....Some terrible blight hit it and to save as much of the plant as we could, we cut off the tops of each arm, above the 'illness', and planted them, hoping that all was not lost and that they would root.....They did.  But, the disease was not completely gone....So, I lost all of those cuttings, except this one----and it has thrived, I am thrilled to say.....
There are two very small babies now, as well.......
Above, two small babies if this same plant.....And below some other views of this wonderful plant.....
There are a number of other cacti in this pot---the cousins, so to speak....But, I think this one is particularly amazing in it's structure, look and color.....And, on the design of the spines.
Here below, the top of this arm---you can clearly see the new growth....
And below....a closer look at this new growth.....
It is so healthy and green.....and the new spines are so interesting as they grow out at the top.....They haven't spread out yet.....These protective spines really keep predators away.....Unfortunately they cannot keep away something that attacks the root system, which is what happened to the mother plant......
Here below is another very beautiful cactus.....one of the cousins.

This one is very very healthy, too, I'm happy to say.....Over the years, I have lost so very many plants due to many different things----one year we had a fungus in the soil that came from next door----It was something that hit many hill areas here in Hollywood...And I lost about 45 plants----Some, irreplaceable...And it truly broke my heart.....Each plant in my garden was picked out by me and placed by me, having fallen in love with them, as you do with Works Of Art.....
Another pot above, of that same plant....It is so wonderfully healthy, too.....It makes me happy to look at it, in all it's special sculptural beauty......


More To Come.......







19 Comments:
had this to say:

These plant photos make the plants look like little creatures.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sad to report I murdered every cacti I ever owned. I over-watered them, the poor things. I stopped buying to spare their lives. What kind of camera are you using?

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 4:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I was walking past the plant department at some store and went over to look at all the different cactus and succulents.. I couldn't look at them without thinking of you and how beautiful you display them all!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 5:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Catus plants do tend to grow well, don't they? My grandad made some cuttons from a queue and we ended up with quite a few!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 7:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They ARE like works of art. I can see why you love them. I'm glad you could save a cutting of that one plant.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 10:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Like Deslily, I too have come to associate every cactus I see with you. You have made me aware of their beauty and I stop to really look closely these days.
You really have become so invested in each plant. How neat that you were able to save at least a portion of that plant so that it lives on today.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

these photos are a perfect illustration of how beautiful cactus plants are

hope sends hugs

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They are gorgeous and the way you capture these shots are absolutely fantastic!! It makes me appreciate cactus more :D

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It's always a joy to see things thorough your eyes.
You even make me see the wonder of cacti.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 4:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such beauty, mesmerizing. You have introduced me to a wonder I doubt I would have ever know--thank you.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful plants!I got some cactus plants as well and they're hanging above our kitchen sink. Was thinking of hanging herbs at first, but they're quite a chore since they usually are sensitive and die easily.

Friday, August 9, 2013 at 6:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You really are a talented gardener! I didn't know the trick about saving the top of the plant so it would root...does that only work for cacti?

Friday, August 9, 2013 at 11:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love them because they look almost furry from a distance. And what a contrast to when you get close.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Isn't that strange that I've just planted one bowl of cacti in the garden here in AZ. Do you know if they need a lot of watering? My partner really wanted them, because they are so unique. I'll try to take a photo and show them on my blog but they aren't special like yours and one of them looks a bit sick to me already! I'm hoping it may perk up now it's planted.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 3:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I saw your comment over at marmeladegypsy, and came to visit. Lo! Someone who loves cactus as I do! I think these are a variety of lace cactus. I have one I named Godot, whom I write about every year when he blooms. The point of the name is that he didn't bloom for ten years. I waited and waited and waited...

Lovely blog. I'm anxious to look around a bit more.

Saturday, August 10, 2013 at 7:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Just stunning, gorgeous photos of these cactus. Love this amazing plants. Wow!

Wishing you, dear Naomi, a pleasant week ahaed. Many hugs!

Monday, August 12, 2013 at 11:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Some of these pictures show the cactii like miniature firework displays. Amazing!

Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 9:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have the most amazing garden ever. Seriously!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 1:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

mesmerizing.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 11:29:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.