Wednesday, June 05, 2013
gordon remembered

Remembering my dear sweet brother, on the Anniversary of his death, one year ago, on June 6th, 2012. 
This date has been a very memorable one because it was D Day, 1944. The day the Allies Invaded France.
Now, it is memorable because it is the day Gordon left us.....
Florida---North Bay Road....Gordon, on the right......This is where he had his first little boat.  And that love affair with boats and the water continued till the day he died.
His last boat, which he named "Little Boat"......I think it reminded him of his very first boat....But, he had a number of bigger boats, in between......
Above, this photo was taken around 1943......Gordon truly loved the water.  To be out on the water, gave him a peacefulness that he couldn't find anywhere else.
Above, on his boat, out on Long Island Sound.....sometime in the mid to late 1950's......
It was great fun to go out on his 'runabout' with him.....Although, sometimes, when he would get very ticked off,  we all would call him Captain Queeg.....lol.....
Above.....jumping ahead many years---this was sometime in the late 1990's I think.....A favorite picture of Gordon......
Above......always a 'lady's man'---here in Great Neck, with Anne Gilliar.....around 1955-56.....
Florida, 1937....The four of us and 'Snowball'....Gordon, Robin.....both gone now.....then, Gene and me.
Snowball was just a pup then......

Below......

The four of us, around 1945-46......Great Neck. Standing on the balcony off of mothers bedroom......
Robin, Gordon, Me, and Gene........
And.....
Above.....the four of us in 1992, San Jose, CA.......Robin's daughter Debbie, had a second Wedding Ceremony, at which I Officiated......This picture was taken at a small family dinner at the Hotel, the night before. 
And below......
The last picture I have of Gordon and me.....
Taken on October 15th, 2011, here in my house at a"family" party.....
Gordon and Michelle came over to visit me two days later and then flew back home to Connecticut the day after that.
That was the last time I saw him.
Seven and a half months later, he was gone.
I miss you so very much, my dear dear brother.....



More To Come.........







21 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Lovely pictures of you all.
Photographs are so comforting when one has lost a loved one and you have some bobby dazzlers there.
I have my lovely man in every room, at different stages of his life. The trouble is I should really clean the glass every day as kisses make it smudgy.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 4:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is so hard to lose a sibling and especially when you are so close.
Such a handsome man in that yellow slicker.
I hope the day brings you pleasant memories and warm smiles to ease the ache of loss.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 6:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I wanted to invite you over to my blog, my name is Phyllis Stanko and I had the garden tour of fullerton at my house...the blog actually has all the pictures of the garden and lots more fun stuff...I'm at aroundrhouse.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 6:12:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You took us on quite a journey...

And you gave me a thought or two -- that when someone we love dies, I don't think anything makes it better -- not time, not philosophy. And I don't think anything should. When someone I love dies, I want to remember everything -- not all the time, of course -- but when I remember, I want to feel the loss, completely.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 at 7:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those photographs are a treasure! It's clear you were a very happy family. I can feel the ache of what it is like for you to lose your brother. I know you miss him terribly.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautifully written. He looks like Hemingway! Once the sea gets under a man's skin, that's it. He's married for life.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I know the brother loss. (and mine was my only sibling)..we never get over it. I am glad however, that we both have great memories of our brothers! We were blessed to have really good ones Naomi! But it's not always easy to remember. :o(

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 9:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love looking back at old photos, even if I don't know the people in them.

Your brother looked so sweet when he was little :)

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 11:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The photos gave me shivers, to see a life reviewed, old priceless photos, family ties and sibling love. You all look so different. I love that he had a passion and called his boat little boat. I'm sorry he is gone. I have brothers to miss too, but this loss is still so new. xo

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 11:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thinking of you as you remember your dear brother XXXX

Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 1:52:00 PM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

*hugs*

Friday, June 7, 2013 at 6:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a touching tribute...I'm sorry, you must miss him so much. Big hugs to you!

Friday, June 7, 2013 at 7:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my goodness has it been a year already? Where does the time go? What a lovely set of photos. I have a brother and although I don't see him much it's just nice to know someone grew up with the same "story" as mine.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I bet you still miss him loads.

Friday, June 7, 2013 at 11:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear Naomi, what a touching and moving tribute to dear Gordon... I know you miss your brother terribly. So lovely pictures of you all! The picture took in Florida, of you, your siblings and the cute Snowball is a lovely treasure! It's a treasure too the picture took at Great Neck. The last picture of you and Gordon brings me tears on my eyes... Pictures are really very comforting. I have been scanned many pictures of my mother and I feel her much close by me seeing her old pictures. Warm hugs to you.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 7:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pictures Naomi.... bringing back memories of you and your siblings when you were all "knee high to a grasshopper" as my mum used to say. Nice tribute to Gordon. Wish I could have met him!

Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 1:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a joy to have a loving brother. I love your photos. I could only dream to have anyone in my life who would honor me as you do your friends and family. Joy all around.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 6:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I learned a long time ago that grief doesn't end after the first year (or third or fifth or tenth, necessarily). But that first year -- the first holiday or birthday when cards or greetings don't arrive or as you mark special days -- that is indeed the hardest. This is a splendid tribute to a wonderful man who was clearly a big part of your life. Sending you hugs.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 8:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Some lovely pictures of some wonderful memories.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 10:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Losing a sibling is a huge loss. It's wonderful that you had all these memories and such a good relationship

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 6:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Blessings and hugs. What else could I send?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 6:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful tribute Naomi. Brothers are indeed the best. And it is wonderful that you were close and have many wonderful memories. You will meet again. Big hugs xxx

Friday, June 28, 2013 at 4:45:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.