Saturday, June 02, 2012
san francisco 1973 - 2

So, back to my Art Opening in San Francisco in 1973. After the opening, many of the L.A. friends came to this Dinner Party I gave as my way of thanking them for being there. You may remember, I mentioned that I had a dinner party for all those stalwarts who had made the trip to San Francisco for the whole weekend, just because of my Art Opening....Here above, is a picture of Betty, sitting in the Lobby of The Raphael Hotel, where we all stayed--I'm pretty sure Larry took this picture....They went on an outing around San Francisco on one of the days and Betty gave me a set of those pictures, along with the others they took at the Opening, and at the Dinner.......They were on some kind of Boat, which looked like it was great fun.....I think I was hanging my show the day they had this particular outing....And here below, one more picture of Betty---I'm not sure where this was, but it was part of another of their sight-seeing days, too.....Then....here below, are Betty & Larry at the Dinner that I gave, after the actual Opening.....it was a lot of fun! Don't they look wonderful? Such a dear dear couple....And such good friends, too.....This was at the Italian Restaurant that Carole Cook and Tom Troupe suggested for this special dinner---the restaurant had a "private" room we could have, and....It was Perfect!!! These snapshots are not very good, but to me, they are really precious....So many good friends all 'breaking bread' together---it was a very happy day and evening......Betty took the top picture and I believe Larry took the bottom one...... That painting behind me was kind of hilarious to all of us---we certainly had some good laughs about it. That's my good friend Gladys Vaughan next to me---she was such a terrific person; So very talented. She was a Theatre Director and a Painter, too...We met in Primal Therapy and became very good friends......And below.... Betty on the other side of me, and that is the back of Carole Cook's head on the right and I think that is Johnny Fiedler, next to her....And below....Another 'group' picture.... Over on the right that is Dennis Dugan and next to him his bride, my dear friend Joyce Van Patten---then John Conwell and his lovely wife Maxine, and Tom Troupe, next to her.....And over on the left, there is dear dear Kim Hamilton---you all know her from 'The Ladies Who Lunch' afternoons that I have had over the last five or six years....I think Larry took this picture because he was sitting next to Kim.....And here above is another picture of Betty & Larry and you can see Kim right there next to Larry.....We all had such a great time. Lots of laughs and as I recall, the food was really really good, too......And here below..... On the left, John Conwell, and standing behind him Carole Cook, and seated next to John Conwell are Joyce Van Patten & Dennis Dugan.....And another snapshot below..... In the center in Gold....Lisabeth Hush, and next to her Joe Chowning, the Gallery owner and his wife.....And I believe that is the back of Gary Belkin's head----I met Gary in 1952.....He was a wonderful writer....He is gone now......You can really see that painting better in this photo---I'm not sure what all those ladies were doing besides dancing naked, but we had a lot of good laughs about them, too.....And one last snapshot, below..... We started out with Bill and Anne Wood, and here they are, once again.....Bill has always been a big supporter of my work and he too is a very old friend......So there you have it. San Francisco, 1973. And to finish off this post, a not very good photo of one of the paintings in that show at The Zara Gallery...The colors are off, I'm afraid, but still, it gives you some kind of general idea......Below, a smaller version of the same painting where the colors are somewhat truer....


More To Come........








17 Comments:
had this to say:

Some of my 'snap shots' are my most cherished and seem to capture so much in an unposed moment. Well, *I* LOVE that painting! Beautiful. I wish I had been there to see it up close.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What grand friends you have!!!! Love the photos!!!!

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 9:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is cool.. a history lesson without being in school. i just passed on final today and another coming up on Monday. I had one this last tuesday but afraid i failed it miserably..

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 11:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow it's great that you have all those snapshots -- wonderful memories. What an exciting time.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 3:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can just try to imagine what a great night that was for you. I have attended many gallery openings for an artist friend of mine. It's a very heady atmosphere.
I didn't realize you knew Dennis Dugan. He's one of those character actors that I always recognize (I'm a character actor fanatic!). But I always had a hard time warming up to him after he played the terrible guy in "M*A*S*H." I guess that shows what a good actor he is.
Speaking of great charcter actors, I was very sad to hear of Kathryn Joosten's death today. I really liked her and she was just 72.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 10:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

First off, I REALLY like your work. I find it intriguing and pleasing at the same time. Something one could get lost in.
Betty in that chair looks a litte like Edith Ann of Lily Tomlin fame. She looks like a small child in it.
That had to be a marvelous day and so nice that you have it recorded. Looking forward to more.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful that you have these photographic memories. Am intrigued with how the egg concept which you developed came to be? The colors appear to be striking.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 3:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What great memories. Betty looks great. And it's good to see shots of your painting. So much to study in them.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful design and colors on your painting, my dear! The party looks like it's in full swing and the nude dancers on the wall look like they're a part of it all! lol

I love seeing photos of you and Betty together. You can tell you had a special friendship and that you shared lots of good times.

Aren't pictures wonderful?? :)

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 7:57:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That must have been a fitting end to an exciting week-end.
I expect once all the tension of organising the hanging and the opening was safely over it must have been bliss to relax and wine and dine with old friends.

Monday, June 4, 2012 at 2:10:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I must say, I found myself blushing to click over and see naked women on this blog.

Tsk, tsk, dear. : )

Seriously, I'm enjoying the story, though I'm waiting for more photos of your work.

Cheers.

Monday, June 4, 2012 at 12:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful time that was - a wonderful event. You can tell everyone was having a lovely time.

I only went to San Francisco once about 10 years ago. I loved it.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have such wonderful photos, wonderful friends and wonderful memories, Naomi; you should write a book!!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 7:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like lots of wine was consumed too Noami - tut tut - Heehee... What great memories and a great group of friends. Betty was beautiful, was she not? And Kim has not aged a day since 1973, I must say.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 2:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I hope as you recall times of great joy, shared with some of those who aren't here in your world anymore, you have seen how very much they are in your heart -- as I know Gordon will be as you recall lovely times with him.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Such happy times you had. It is wonderful to have lovely memories with your dear friends – that must have been quite a dinner that everyone remembers. These photos are more than photos really, they are touching glimpses of great times you can still see

Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 1:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I like coming here because you have so much documentation of such a rich life. And by that I mean, one filled with life long friends, and such good memories. Really --yours is a life to admire!

Monday, June 11, 2012 at 5:51:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.