Thursday, May 24, 2012
san francisco - 1973

I had a One Woman Show of my paintings in San Francisco, in 1973. The Gallery was called The Zara Gallery and the owner was a very nice man named Joe Chowning…Many many people from Los Angeles came for the opening and we all stayed at the same small hotel---The Raphael, I think it was called. (Below...Bill and Ann Wood....his then wife...)In retrospect it was quite an extraordinary thing that all these people not only came, but spent the weekend there and one of the activities besides the Opening itself, was a dinner that I hosted at a fabulous Italian restaurant, the name of which totally escapes me. But it was a restaurant that Tom Troupe and Carole Cook knew and suggested and that’s were I held the dinner….it was my small way of thanking everyone for making this trip and being so very generous with their time and their loving care. Betty and Larry were there, and Joyce Van Patten, and Kim Hamilton, and Joan Ankrum, my gallery person in Los Angeles, and The Troupes of course, and dear Bernie Casey, and Gladys Vaughan, and Barney Rosenzweig--to name just a few....Below, that's me on the left, and Joe Chowning--the Gallery owner in the middle, and dear Kim Hamilton over on the right.....All these pictures are snapshots that different people took, during that weekend.......I think quite a few were taken by Betty........This show was a big show….lots of very colorful large paintings…Embryonic egg shaped images with lots of things happening inside the 'egg' image. There were smaller paintings too, and it was quite a successful show….mostly because of the friends who came…..About one third of the show sold on the opening night and if I recall correctly, there were maybe 75 pieces in the show, counting all the smaller color drawings as well as the paintings. Below....Standing over on the left with red hair is Carole Cook....and seated over on the right are Lisabeth Hush and Larry Parks....seated on the left--Maxine Conwell and I'm not sure who the blond girl is, and Maxine's husband, John Conwell talking to Lis and Larry..........One of the things I remember most about that entire weekend was the hanging of the show---I LOVE hanging my own work because the actual “hanging” becomes like the creation of another painting. I know how all these things relate to one another in a way that no one else does. It's all on an intuitive level, you know? Something happens in the actual hanging that is terribly exciting…an over-all “painting” emerges in a way and the entire gallery is all ‘of a piece’, kind of making one huge painting. A very exciting thing to see, and it happens every time I hang a show….Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the actual show hanging in the Gallery when no one was there.....But...here below is a photograph of one of my Mixed Media Drawings from that 1973 show...... It was so great to see all these wonderful friends in the Gallery on that Opening Day......Below.....Tom Troupe, John Conwell and Larry Parks.....They all look like they are having a good time, I'm happy to say..... And below...a picture I have posted before, but this was the context of this photograph....My dear friend, Bernie Casey, and me.....We both look happy, too......And I'm happy to say....Bernie is still in my life...I just spoke with him a few days ago....Continuity: it's lovely. What's fun about an 'art opening' is that many people get to see each other who don't, ordinarily....Though many of these people were great friends, life and work often interfere with social things---so this was an occasion that brought a lot of people together and the fact that it was 400 miles away from home, seemed to make it that much sweeter...... Above....over on the left, Gary Belkin---an old old friend and a wonderful comedy writer, both Pearl, (his wife), and he are gone now....The man next to me---Well, I'm ashamed to say I don't remember his name---and I actually dated him....(Oh, Help Me Nurse!!) And on the right a friend from Primal Therapy named Sue Hoffman....... Above, Larry P. and Barney Rosenzweig and the lady in the middle was his girlfriend at that time.....Of course, Larry is gone, having died two years after this show in 1975....I'm happy to say that Barney is still with us and happily married to the lovely Sharon Gless---one of the Wedding Ceremony's that I officiated at in 1991....!Above.....The amazing actor Tom Troupe pointing something out and next to him, the terrific Johnny Fiedler, (now gone) and then over on the right Tom's wife, the wonderfully talented Carole Cook.....I do not know who the woman is way over on the left.....The painting behind Carole is huge.....8ft tall by 6ft wide....! The darling and fun Conwell's, once again....both gone....talking to an unidentified woman.....I wish I could tell you who every person there was...but, I can't. And below...an overall photo of the crowd in the Gallery....... It's hard for me to believe that this was almost 40 years ago....So much has happened in the world and in my life...And so very many people no longer with us.....Next time, I'll share the photo's of The Dinner Party that same evening.......







More To Come..........







33 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I hope you post scans of the paintings so that we can admire them. The one's shown in the background of this post whetted my appetite for more!

Cheers.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 6:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't realise you were an artist as well!

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 8:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Must be a very event during those days.....thanks for sharing your lovely memories :D

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 4:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I REALLY like those paintings Naomi. You do amazing work.
Loved seeing all the people there and sad that some are now gone from your life.
Had to laugh at the forgotten "date". I have too many of those myself. Looking forward to more.

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 3:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I wish I had known you back then as well as now!

I am always amazed at the amount of photos you have of different parts of your life.. its fantastic and I always enjoy seeing them and hearing of your life!

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 4:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you never cease to amaze me. Your art is incredible. Is there anything you cannot do? I would love to see more of your art too. How wonderful that all your friends made the trip to the Exhibition. See how highly they all regarded you? And I love the pics of you, stunning. You married Sharon Gless and Barney? Where is that book woman? I think you will have to turn your blog into a book, how cool would that be?

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 6:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think of all the paintings you've shown us photos of, I like some of these the best! I sure with you had photos of all the paintings!

Naomi, do you know how many thousands of photos you have?

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 4:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love all these great pictures - seeing so many people having a great night with your paintings all around. An awesome thing.

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Some lovely pictures on display and a sense of the time in the snapshots. Groovy.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 6:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How exciting! That was nearly the summer of love. I think blogging is a bit like "hanging a show," a very intuitive process. Your dress is pretty and I love the large vibrancy of the painting together, from what I can see.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 7:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Just great Naomi seeing the amazing vernissage of your paintings in San Francisco. How many friends and fans you have.
You are really a multi faceted artist and much talented too!
I am always enchanted seeing how many photos you have of different moments of your life.
It's always a pleasure to see these posts, Naomi. Thank you so much for sharing.

I hope you have a plesant weekend my dear!

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 10:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ops... Sorry, I mean "pleasant".

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 10:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful images and wonderful memories! I love the organic nature of your work, Naomi. Do you still paint?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 12:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What I would give to have been a part of that scene and to see all your artwork in one place like that. It must've been a magical evening with all the friends coming in and reuniting like that, and celebrating YOU and your art pieces. Very beautiful!

I am looking forward to the dinner party!

Hugs and much love to you, Naomi. :)

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I wonder where all those gorgeous Naomi Caryl paintings are now. Do you think they still hang on the walls of the people who made purchases at your 1973 show, or have they changed hands over the years? Do any of your paintings ever come up for auction?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 5:25:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I have a tendancy to be lazy sith commenting, but i adore your blog and i may well as well say it proper now.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 8:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

When I was researching your work for my post on you I did not realize how large your paintings were and I was surprised when I saw them on your photographs. Did you take a picture of each of your painting? Once they are sold isn’t it like parting with a little bit of yourself? I had already left San Francisco at that time but remember well how art oriented the city was. How wonderful to share this opening with so many good friends. Thanks for sharing your great memories.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 9:30:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Quite often when I look at old pictures, I am amazed how much time has passed. It doesn't feel like it's been decades, but it has been. It's at times like that, that I feel life is too short to get everything in that I want to share and experience.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 4:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a delight this post is -- I just love to see you and your friends having fun!!!!

The light bulb in my brain went off when you talked about how one hangs one's art is an art in itself. And I realized why I liked a painting better in a new apartment.

Thank you for educating me!!!

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 4:22:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I can't help noticing how beautifully your gown blends with with the gallery and paintings. I wonder if you still have it.
How sad that Larry died so young.
Like Randall I also would like to see more of your paintings. What a great week-end it must have been.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 4:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are amazing! An artist, musician, an actress and you've seen so much of life. I love your blog and all that you share about your family and your life.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 4:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful day that was!! A great accomplishment to have all your artwork displayed like that and so many supporters coming out to enjoy and share with you. You must have don a lot of paintings over the years; more than I realized I think!!

Hope you are doing well Naomi, and hope you are having a wonderful Memorial Day! xxoxx

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 8:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I know I've said it before but I LOVE that you have so many photos and that you share them with us.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 8:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your art brought out allot of lovely smiles that day- and now. Thank you for sharing.

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 11:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is great fun, Natalie, and I love seeing all the cool people you know having a wonderful time -- but what really rocks me is your terrific painting. You really have a gift and I hope you sometimes still indulge! It' splendid.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My goodness you ARE a woman of so many talents! What terrific paintings and i love all the old photographs you've posted here in this post.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 3:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

When I finally purchased a painting I had admired for some months, the hanging of it in my home was very powerful and moving. We discussed every possibility, yet when we broght it home it just leaped toward its spot, the perfect spot, as if IT knew where to go. A friend lifted it, nail in wall and when released it hung absolutely to perfection. No adjusting needed. THAT has never happened before. It gives me such joy every day.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 7:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ha ha, you cracked me up that you dated a guy and you can't remember who he was! :D

You are so talented. Is there anything you can't do?

Friday, June 1, 2012 at 1:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This looks like a fascinating show. I had no idea you created such art -- had thought of you primarily with music and your Broadway show plus some acting.

Some of these works are magnificently large in size and the detail appears also so intricate. I wonder where all your work is? I hope you at least have pictures of everything you ever did that others now have.

Also, I wonder if you're still able to do some small pieces? How do you satisfy that creative urge that must still surge?

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

There is a person in the pics named Larry (Lawrence) Conwell. Does anyone know if he is from Springfield Iowa?

Monday, July 2, 2012 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Anonymus...If you should come back, there is no one named Lawrence Conwell.
There is LARRY PARKS and JOHN CONWELL. Sorry about that.

Monday, July 2, 2012 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thank you so much!!! We are looking for a Larry (Lawrence) Conwell from Springfield Iowa.

Friday, August 10, 2012 at 1:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello and what a wonderful blog you have. I was drawn to the post of Kim Hamilton and her nice, lovely family. Thank you for sharing. Then I noticed your other posts. What a wealth of talent. When I first saw the post years ago, I never thought I would be living here in Los Angeles where so many of you legends are but here I am. Bless you and maybe you will write a post of my daughter who is a budding actress but has Japanese anime in her blood and lives to have her own graphic arts studio!

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.