Tuesday, May 01, 2012
1962-greystone - part 2

So....this is the gated entrance to Greystone with the caretaker's house right there near the entry....The picture above was taken in recent years---the entrance looking quite different....But, below....is the first picture of all the 'principals' meeting back in 1962 somewhere just inside those gates. There is a long winding driveway that takes you up the hill to the entrance of the house.......

To the far right is Taft Schreiber, the Vice President of MCA/Universal...In the light tan raincoat is Michael Levee, an Agent at MCA, who's brother is the painter John Levee....The tall man in the dark blue suit came with Taft Schreiber and he had all the "stats" on The Doheny Estate, A.K.A. Greystone....The little man facing us, in the background is my father....In 1962 men all wore business suits and ties---especially the people from MCA and my father, too---A New York business man. And we had met there at Greystone sometime during the week on a "business" day......Things are so very different now. This was a view of the Courtyard near the entrance to the house.....I wish I had gotten more pictures that day....There were so many areas I missed....But, I'm glad I was able to get any at all, and that I still have them......! Looking out at the city from one of the back Patios, off of the main
house....There was so much to see that day....That's my father in the foreground and the "stats" man next to him and Taft Schreiber, beyond..... Above, Michael Levee looking at a part of the house facing that same city view.....And here below, 'Daddy Joe' walking near that same canopy with the house in the background......It is a magnificent house and the Gardens are quite beautiful.....Below, Daddy Joe and Taft Schreiber with the "stats" man, talking about the possibilities for housing the collection.... And below, another picture of my father, standing by himself, as we continued our 'look-see' of Greystone....We did go into the house, but I didn't take any pictures of the interior.....it was completely empty at that time---no furniture or anything.......We walked all around the very extensive property.....Here below, we were on our way to some other part of the property so that Daddy could see all the many possibilities of available of land.Most of the grounds were beautifully landscaped, but there were some areas that were not. We looked at pretty much everything that day. We walked up behind the gardens, so Daddy could see where a large parking lot could be built for visitors to the Museum....... We went past the Pool and Pool House....The Pool was empty, as you can see, and the Pool house in disrepair with overgrown weeds and such...... There was even a "Dolls House" that had been built for the five Doheny children...It was as big as a small house that many many people would love to be able to live in.......I'd never seen anything quite like that before or since---very Hansel & Gretel....It was, Amazing....
Then, back at the main house there was a Koi Pond, with lots of fish swimming in it on the west side of the house....Obviously caretakers were seeing to the feeding of these beautiful fish....... There are many different gardens at Greystone....I only got a picture or two that day of a few areas....Here below, a wall with Italian Cypress growing..... And below, a pathway beside another garden......And below...other views around the main building...So much to see.....All these photo's were taken in 1962....Ultimately, my father did not feel this was the proper place for his collection of Paintings and Sculpture....but, we did go back one more time and I have some more pictures of that visit....so please come back for Part 3......




More To Come........







20 Comments:
had this to say:

wow. It almost looks like a home that belongs in another country, not here! The gatehouse reminded me of a gatehouse in NJ close to where I lived with my brother... we couldn't go past the gatehouse and I never really knew if it lead to one home or more. If nothing else the house and grounds looks like they could be used for many old movies!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 3:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great stuff. Can't wait for part three.

Cheers.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Julie said:

The formality of the business clothing is like something out of Mad Men. Waiting for part three.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 11:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I picked your father out right away. I do miss the business suit generation.
It must have been something to have been "courted" so. Impressive place but evidently not impressive enought for your father.
Looking forward to part 3.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 6:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful mansion, Naomi! So beautiful the gated entrance to Greystone and the caretaker's house. So beautiful also the pathway with trees.
Just great that you have so many photos of your Daddy Joe! You have a fantastic archive of photos!
Looking forward to see the Parte 3!
Many hugs!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Interesting photos and story. Look forward to reading the rest.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 8:44:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Oh that was a surprise. Your father looks so relaxed and happy I was sure the collection would be housed there.
When the Queem was a little girl she and Margaret had a small house to play in. Smaller I think than the one in the post but charming too. I think it is Windso Great Park. Oh I've just found this:

"In March 1932, on the occasion of Princess Elizabeth's sixth birthday, when the Duke and Duchess of York had started work on the grounds of Royal Lodge, a little straw-thatched cottage, 'Y Bwthyn Bach', (The Little House), was presented to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret in the name of the people of Wales."

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 7:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love a man in a suit and top coat, they always look official, or dangerous :)

I LOVE the path with the trees on either side, that is amazing

I could happily live in the caretaker's house

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 8:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Morning Naomi, What a beautiful estate. I would be happy to live there. Oh, I would be happy to even live in the Dolls' House. How incredible. I agree with the poster who made the comment that the handsome men in suits are like something out of Mad Men. Love it.

I am interested to find out why your father did not like this setting as a place for his art collection. Cannot wait to Part 3. What a wonderful collection of stories and wonderful photos you have. What a life you have led. Truly remarkable, my dear.

Hope the weather is lovely over there and you are feeling well.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 5:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The photos still look good after all these years. The dollhouse - wow, I would like that!

Great post.

Will be back for part 3.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So interesting---these are part of your history. So cool to read it.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 5:52:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Oh my gosh, what a beautiful house and gardens. It reminds me a bit of the Biltmore House and gardens in NC, but not as large.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 6:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What fantastic grounds! I love the dolls house. I could have played with my friends for days if Had a dolls house like that. You dad was a very dapper gentleman wasn't he? It's nice to see men wearing suits. It doesn't happen very often these days, not for everyday anyway. Just for baptisms, marriages and funerals really!

Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 7:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

always your stories are so incredibly intriguing - and filled with all those little intimate details that only someone who had been there could add - and someone like you could add so well - which gives the sense of the "rest of the story" such a punch every time! during my life, i think we very rarely saw our father NOT in a suit - and usually a 3-piece suit and a hat - it wasn't until he actually retired that he began to dress a bit casually - perhaps one of the reasons for your father's choice to not place his collection there had to do with the tragedy which took place there - again, wonderfully told story - and all of us waiting with baited breath for the next installment! ;)

Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have lead such an amazing life Naomi. Your blog never ceases to amaze me.

Can't believe that house is located in the US. It is like something that belongs in Europe somewhere.

xx

Friday, May 4, 2012 at 12:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I see what you mean about the new blogger. I have not been on here much lately and just went to put up a post and it's all changed. Heaven help me!

Friday, May 4, 2012 at 8:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful house and landscaping, and I love the koi pond and that the men wore business suits. Your dad and the fellas all look so sharp and polished. I miss that style and elegance of the old days.

Thanks for sharing these photos and the stories behind them, my friend. Waiting on Part 3...and hoping you are well and happy today!

Hugs and love from Miami....♥

Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 6:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always joke that in my next life I'm gonna be rich. Thank you for showing me where I want to live!!!! LOL

Seriously, I really loved this glimpse into the days when style meant something. And as always, the photos are fabulous!!!!

Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 9:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I probably never would have seen the collection if it had not been in DC (and this was before I knew the collector was your father). So I'm glad he didn't choose there.

There is a house in Hull, the small beach town I grew up in that was owned by Rose Kennedy's father, who was the mayor (or something) of Boston and they had one of those "doll houses!" We were always amazed by that because we were all working class. JFK himself was in that house as a baby and there are pictures of it (along with rumors of other Hull/Kennedy connections) floating around.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 6:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The picture quality- amazing. So well preserved. I do hope you can manage help with your scanner. I've been too chicken to try mine since you've had trouble loading.

Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:50:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.