Monday, November 01, 2010
then & now-2 - the final

This will be the final post on the Hospice Garden...for those who missed the previous 'then & now', it is just below my little Halloween Post.....Okay. Above, a different angle of one of the Euphorbia Ingens---you can see how tall it is, and so healthy, too.....! And on the far right, another very tall, Euphorbia Amak Verigated....Below....here is another beautiful plant when it was first put in the ground back in 1995.....This is a Sago Palm. A low growing, s-l-o-w growing Cycad (actually not a 'palm' at all) that is very beautiful..... This is what 15 years of growth has wrought....and below, a closer look at this unusual and not always easily grown plant. Cycads are very very ancient...they have been around since the dinosaurs---and maybe before....This one has done very very well, I'm thrilled to say, and Woody would be thrilled, too......And speaking of Woody, here below is a picture which you have seen before...But I bring your attention to the little plague on the edge of the garden on the left side of the picture. (There is another little plaque over on the right, as well......) You can see above that the plants are very very small....That light yellow/green at the left edge of the picture---Euphorb. Amak Verigated, is really small. Now look at this area today, below..... That yellow/green plant is the second plant on the left---now, huge....And if you look carefully you can see that little plaque surrounded by this enormous plant....Here below, a closer look..... And closer yet-again, below....... The growth of that once little plant behind and to the right of the plaque in that early picture is phenomenal....! Now here below is a closer look at the plaque itself....... Dear dear Woody and his sweet generous wife Abbie.....I look at that plant behind this plaque and I cannot help but think how beautifully it has grown and how healthy and big it looks. And I think about how it was grown from seed with such loving care by this dear dear man....... Further up, as we saw in that earlier picture, is the plaque they made for me.....My memory is they asked me if they were to make a plaque for me, what would I want it to say.....Here it is, in close-up, below...... I love that you can see the little rocks and pebbles that we covered the dirt with fifteen years before----still there as if we had just put it down yesterday...... Above is one of the early pictures of another Euphorbia, and you can see if you click on it to make it bigger, that the tops have some growth-leaves....Here below, the recent picture of this same Euphorbia...... And below a closer look at this beautiful plant....... And one more...Closer yet again, below...... Thrilling! I know I keep using that word, but it is truly how I felt about each of these wonderful plants that were doing so well---thriving so beautifully.....Yes, THRILLING! Below....another plant that is reaching for the sun and sky...... And here below, a Cereus Monstrous that was very small when she was planted.....And it too has grown Beautifully...... These are very slow growing plants and not always easily grown either. Once, Woody gave me a Cereus plant that he had grown from seed. I remember him telling me that he planted 1000 seeds of this plant, and only 7 made it. SEVEN! He wrote on the little card: 'For the serious Cereus grower'.....Sweet. Another Ingens, reaching for the sun and sky....... A closer look at the tops, which had flowered and now had little fruit that turns to seeds.....So, there you have it. The Hospice Garden, then and now........ And below, from a different angle....... That's it. I was truly amazed at how much the garden had grown....I only wish I had had more pictures of the garden when we began it....But, at least you can see somewhat, how this garden has not only survived, but has thrived, as well.....Am I proud of that? You bet I am!

More To Come.........













18 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow I can't believe how much the plants have grown either. I love all the different kinds as well. Just stunning. What a wonderful job that was done, and how great to see it looking so good years later. So often it's the opposite, and things are neglected.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 2:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you really should be proud of that garden and I am so glad they recognized you. Had it not been for you, none of it would have happened. Just amazing.
Did not know that about Sago Palms.
I have looked over the past posts before but can't find out what the building is used for today. You mentioned that it was vacant?

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 4:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

these photo's are incredible Naomi!! just fantastic! you did a wonderful job there and I'm glad you decided to share them with us!

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 4:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Well Naomi one thing's for sure: you have certainly have made a difference. And this is just one of the areas you have excelled in.
I read in someone's comment box that you say the Hospice - thanks to the cocktail, is not required now and how wonderful is that?
Bless you for all the comfort you gave to all those sufferers.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 5:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great stuff. Thanks for this series.

Cheers.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 6:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Where lush meets exotic. What an accomplishment! I truly hope it will be a garden destination someday soon.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:55:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Just wonderful. Woody would be pleased. My mom had Euphorbia cactus while growing up. Of course, we never knew what it was called. We just always called them Cathedral Cactus.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 9:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fantastic thread of photos, Naomi!
What a great reportage!
You did a good job in your garden and it is wonderful!
Thanks for sharing with us!

PS: Thanks for your nice comment on Flora's current post. She sends to you a happy wave of her tail! Lol!
These Flora's pictures on my current post were taken in 2006, but till nowadays, fortunately, she has almost the same energy.
Kisses and hugs to you.

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 12:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those plants are enormous and beautiful. I would love to see something in my garden reach the heavens like that...and to have one's own plaque (I love yours, btw) would just make it more special. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos of such a lovely garden!

Hope all's well with you. I've been busy but thinking of you and Sweetie.

Much love and hugs, Ily

Monday, November 1, 2010 at 8:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You rightfully should feel proud of this garden you have created. I hope people in the community continue to enjoy it though the building no longer has to be used as a Hospice. Am glad the plants have thrived so well -- amazing how they've grown. Thanks for sharing the photos and information about them.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 1:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely series of post on this garden. The photos show how much the plants have grown – it must give you so much satisfaction to see them grown up like this – in a way they are your children as without you, and Woody of course, such a garden would not have been created. I am also astounded that Woody grew them with seeds. This garden with these fantastic looking cacti looks very south California to me.
I have your blog on my Google Reader list but for some reason it did not show that you had new posts to read. I am pleased that I came to check anyway. I enjoyed your posts and all your pictures a lot. Well done.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 3:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very impressive Naomi! I'm so glad that you got the chance to get out and visit this garden again. I know that meant so much to you. It's amazing to see how everything has grown from when it was first set out. I enjoyed seeing it all very much and appreciate that you posted and took the time to put all the before and after photos. I LOVE what your plaque says! Well done dear lady!!!
Love and hugs,
Rachel

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 7:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Yes indeed we are just as proud as you too Naomi :D

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 10:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the forms, textures and colors of the cacti. They are absolutely wonderful.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 7:03:00 AM PDT 

Blogger K
had this to say:

Naomi,
Your photography is just beautiful and you are a WONDERFUL storyteller. Thank you so much for sharing.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 3:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful cactus garden. I love your "then and now" pictures showing how much everything has flourished. If I ever get to visit your neighbourhood in the future, I definitely want to visit this garden.

And as a note of interest, I am currently reading a book called "The Death of Donna Winter" by Michael Winter (Canadian author I believe), and in the foreword, he mentions Spoon River Anthology.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 6:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The feeling of spirits/spirituality must be great around that garden. We are all proud of you too.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 8:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, it is so interesting to see the amount of growth in those cacti over the years. I knew nothing about them before I started reading your blog!

Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 9:26:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.