Tuesday, October 05, 2010
beautiful buildings

I am fascinated by some of the architecture here in Los Angeles...The building above is just on the edge of Century City. Century City is the old 20th Century Fox backlot, which was huge, and which was sold off in the early 1960's. It grew into this sea of big buildings known now as Century City. This building above and below is one of the newer buildings, called The Fox Tower. I have been fascinated by it since it first appeared on the landscape a number of years ago...(It was featured in a Bruce Willis film, they say.....)....... Here below is a closer look at the top of this wonderfully interesting building........ It's hard to NOT look at this magnificent building.....So many angles going many which ways.....And from afar----when you are on Pico Blvd, looking East.....You can see these four very interesting buildings......Over on the left, those two are the twin Office Buildings that were built a long time ago--early Century City........Then way over on the extreme right is the building I have showed you in the previous pictures, and then....In the middle is 'The Century'...... I did not take this picture above. As you can see, some of the scaffolding was still up at the time the picture above was taken (And you can see that other wonderful building just behind it....)....Below, is one of the pictures I took recently---the same day I took those two pictures of the Fountain in Beverly Hills......"The Century" is all Condos. And it is my understanding that Candy Spelling, Aaron Spelling's widow, has bought the two top Floors--the Penthouse, for $47 Million.....! Yes. 4-7-million. It is reportedly over 16,000 square feet of space. She still has her home in Hombly Hills on the market for approximately $150 Million, so they say. Hard to tell from this closer look at the top floors of The Century, what $47 mill bought. I realize it is still not completely finished, but still....This Building is supposed to have everything anyone could possibly want at one's fingertips.....Stay Tuned....... Going back to The Fox Tower, you can see some wonderful images reflected on the side of the building....I loved the complexity of this photograph......And here is another shot, below...... I believe the reflection in the glass windows of The Fox Tower is coming from 'The Century'......Below, another building right there next to The Century Plaza Hotel, showing some Wonderful reflections....... Way over on the extreme left of the picture above, is the edge of The Century Plaza Hotel....the building with the reflections on it I believe is The MGM Tower Building....Another very interesting and complex design...... The MGM Tower seems to be different on all four sides....The side I find the most interesting is the one below....Again, not a photo that I took. I need to go back to Century City now and get some more photo's when we are not moving.....God knows when that will be, but, meanwhile, here is a picture of Century City taken from my deck in the Hills of Hollywood......... This picture was taken in January, 2007, before 'The Century' was even begun....That is the Pacific Ocean in the background....And below, a closer look at Century City from March, 2006........ I really must get some more recent pictures of this continually changing landscape.....I'm sure I have some newer ones, but I was able to get my hands on these two photo's fairly quickly, so......Century City is indeed, a pretty amazing place! And I've lived here in L.A. for so long, I remember when it was the Backlot of 20th Century Fox......I actually worked on the Backlot waaaaay back in 1949, when I was a student at USC......!

More To Come.........
















24 Comments:
had this to say:

Wow, window washers really have job security there. So much glass.
Love the reflections of builidngs in the sides of buildings.
What a lovely view you have from your deck. Think I would spend a lot of time there.
Thanks again for a great tour.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 5:53:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Architecture is as much art as it is engineering and physics. To my mind, it rarely receives the attention it deserves as part of the creative genius of our species.

Thanks for the tour.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 6:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love it when you get out with your camera, Naomi. I do find that first building fascinating. The thought of living up that high kind of freaks me out and renting 2 floors does too.

I saw something on Inside Edition the other night where a building of curved glass burning people below!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That photo from 1/2007 is stunning. The clouds and light...so pretty.

When I look at giant buildings I always wonder how many birds knock themselves silly on them in a day. I work on the second story and see birds smack into my window on a pretty regular basis. I bet it's more the taller it gets.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 8:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those steel and glass towers are fascinating, and I love the way the blue sky is reflected in all the windows. That back lot of 20th century Fox must have been huge.... and I can't even begin to imagine the value of the land!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 11:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an amazing vista!!!!!!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 7:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Some people hate this kind of building but I love it. Some of the most stunning sky scrapers I've seen are in Dubai. We went to a revolving restaurant in one hotel and the views were just amazing. Of course there are some incredible buildings like that in Vegas too! I love them. :) I don't like using the elevators one bit though!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 9:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous, fabulous photo's, as usual, Naomi!
Wow..no matter how rich I would not want to live on TOP of that building in earthquake country! I know it's new enough to be made to withstand quakes but... I think I'll stay closer to the ground! lol

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 3:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I'm a big fan of architecture, but am more partial to older styles and not so in to the modern design. That said, in your second picture where the building has the dark outcropping, it reminds me of a flashlight stood on end. Pretty building even though it's too plain for my tastes. I'm a 1930s, Art Deco fan plus I love Victorian designs.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 5:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Patti is right about the window washers!! I like blue glass buildings and that one has a very interesting shape.

I sure would like to see Spelling's condo once it is finished!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 7:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These are wonderful photos, Naomi. Taking a closer look at things we see as part of our lives is an interesting thing. I love the reflections and the geometric patterns.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The Fox Tower looks familiar, and I love the different angles you've shown. It's just beautiful!

I can't wait to see more photos of Century City...and I'd love to hear more about the time you worked at the Backlot of 20th Century Fox! Please share, my friend.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 5:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

At my previous job, I worked for a property management company whose forte was managing high-rise condominiums -- specializing in 4-star hotel-type of hospitality for their homeowners. I could never fathom living in such a place, like coming home to a hotel, but to each his own and it gave me a pay check for 3 1/2 years. Who can complain, right?

Huh, I didn't know you are an USC alumni. Interesting... I'm a fan of USC myself for a myriad of diverse reasons. :)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 8:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Seattle is like a different city in regards to downtown buildings since I landed here in 1982. So MANY skyscrapers sprang up. Even those of us who worked downtown would get lost. They are clean, creative, odd in some cases, but I am Indiana girl who likes my feet solid on the ground. The beautiful old buildings they tore down---breaks my heart, they were true works of art knocked to rubble, progress, but at what cost? Well, I suppose we have to put people somewhere. I can't shake the thought of an earthquake and all that glass.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 6:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The thing I love about these glass towers is the reflections in the mirrored glass - fabulous!

You have such a wonderful view from your balcony of these buildings but I am glad you managed to get out and about and see them up close. Hope you and Sweetie are both well :)

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 1:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love these posts... Getting to know a place I've never been to :)

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your shots of the tower, especially the top part
really beautiful
all those lines and angles, I'm a nut for that

and the reflections your captured are fantastic!!

hugs to Sweetie

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 7:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

naomi, wow! your eye is amazing! (but i already knew that!) the buildings and architecture truly *are* magnificent. but what strikes me is, of course, the beautifully blue sky! *sigh* i miss ca some days more than others! this was lovely to read, as always!

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 8:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just stunning buildings, Naomi!
The reflections are fantastic.
Love the picture of Century City you took from your deck! What a gorgeous view you have!
Thanks again for this wonderful tour.

Have a pleasant weekend!

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for capturing the amazing building profiles. I had not really considered how so many are faceted like gem stones.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Beautiful architecture and buildings!! lovely to admire and to watch, but I can't imagine to live on the top floors...

Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 3:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your pictures are stunning. I like old buildings but modern tall buildings like these have their own beauty. Straight design, no rococo ornaments, and so much glass that the sky seems to be in them. The view from your deck is also quite something. Thanks for these beautiful pictures.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 5:29:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi I must say you make a great LA Docent for your bloggers! LOL I've learned so much from you!
Love, Audrey

Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 9:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Such tall buildings! I fear I would not be able to look down if I were in one of those! The window washers have to be brave souls indeed!!

Love the reflections!!

Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 12:58:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.