Friday, November 26, 2010
sculpture-2

This is a picture that I took on the event weekend of the Opening of The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, in early October, 1974. It is a magnificent head by Giocometti---another favorite Sculptor of mine. I don't know what it is about Giacometti's work that touches me in such a deep way, but, it does, and it always has.....By the time Daddy Joe bought the house in Greenwich, in late 1961, I was already living in Los Angeles, so I never really spent much time there, at all.
(Above.....Me and Daddy and Robin.....August, 1966, I think.....) In the 15 years he lived there, I was probably at 'Round Hill', maybe 10 times, all together. And I only stayed over night there about 3 times.....But, I was very familiar with his collection. Wherever Daddy lived, he was surrounded by art. And in Greenwich, it was everywhere---inside and outside of the house.....Paintings and Sculpture inside and of course, only Sculpture outside....And what magnificent sculpture it all was and still is......(Above...."The Burghers Of Calais" by Rodin.......)
In 1962, there was a beautiful show of some of Daddy's collection of Sculpture at The Guggenheim Museum in Manhattan. 400 pieces to be exact. And it filled the entire Guggenheim. It was a very exciting show and it was thrilling to see so many pieces under one roof, ALL together, like that. I had come east especially for that show, and actually stayed in Daddy's apartment, there in Manhattan, all by myself--Daddy & Olga were not there......It was not a large apartment at all---in fact it was just one bedroom---but, everywhere, there was "ART"....I think I was there three nights all together, and it was the one and only time I ever stayed there....Looking back, that was a big deal for him to let me do that. I know that seems strange---after all, I was one of his children....But, DJ was not like any other father, as you may have gathered by now if you have been reading my blog for these past five years.......(Below, a picture of the show at The Guggenheim, 1962.......)In many ways, his collection of Paintings and Sculpture were more like his children then we, his actual children, were. And in a way, I can understand that. Let's go back in time: There was this most important Calendar. The pictures from the Insurance Company Calender---(this Calender was from the Insurance Company his mother bought after The Triangle Fire, in case something were to happen to her; after all, she had ten living children, and no husband and a job that paid almost nothing---.16 cents an hour)---when he was just a young boy. These pictures kept him alive in a way that few of us can understand. There he was, in 1910 maybe 1911, sharing a teeny tiny depressingly little dark green room in a Brooklyn tenement with his many brothers---they had no money and little to eat. They had no real hope. But he took the Calender pictures, which were of Paintings by people like Landseer....(Below)And Bouguereau........(The Madonna With Lillies.......)And he put them up on the wall by his bed, in that tiny depressing little room, and these pictures gave him 'hope'. Hope for a future that held more than what he had in this depressingly crowded dark little room---These paintings held the promise of beauty and of what more there could be, here in this country. They held the promise of The American Dream......(Above....another photo of the Sculpture shown at The Guggenheim, 1962).....Daddy Joe actually ended up living out The American Dream........


More To Come.......











18 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy Day after Thanksgiving. Art is underrated until you must go without....

Thank you for sharing!

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 9:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those are cool sculptures.. Thanks for sharing them.. I am visiting my friends today before we leave for another adventure when Jeff comes home from work tonight. We are going to Indianapolis Indianna..

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 9:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Yes, your father did live out that dream, and I think it's wonderful that you could see things from the vision that he had. Some children would not be as understanding! He certainly achieved a lot in life. I have enjoyed these sculpture posts!! Your life has been so interesting!!

I do hope you and Sweetie had a wonderful happy Thanksgiving!!
Love and hugs,
Rachel

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 9:36:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Marvelous memories and photos. As always, thanks for sharing.

I trust your T-day went well, dear.

Cheers.

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 10:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

*sigh* the art, the photos, your stories...let's drink tea and chat all day, shall we? :) hope you had a lovely thanksgiving! :)

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 11:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It is really special that you grew up surrounded by art (even though you didn't live in Greenwich.) It is a most impressive collection.

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 4:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

If that was his house, he really did come a long way. Awesome house and grounds.
Hearing about his rather bleak early years explains his deep love for art and beauty. Glad he passed it on to you.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 at 4:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That Rodin is amazing! I love when you tell stories about your family. That calendar story is really great. The stuff that dreams are made of...

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 2:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Fantastic post, Naomi!
What a wonderful sculptures! Your Father was really a remarkable person.
Love always seeing your beautiful house in Greenwich and the amazing garden with many peaces of art.
Thanks for sharing your family's memories.

Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 3:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The Madonna with Baby is so vivid and sharp, very very moving I must say Naomi. It's great to have you sharing all these precious photos with us Naomi.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 4:10:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

This is totally off topic but I had to ask since I just now saw the commercial. Is that Lee Merriweather in the new Wii commercial? It's the one where the grandparents come to visit, she's playing grandma, and the grandparents don't want to go out shopping or caroling with the parents, because they're too busy playing the Wii with the grandkids.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 3:18:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think it's neat how it seems your father's art "spark" started with calendar artwork. I read that article about the fire - holy cow! Those poor people were locked in?!

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 5:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

And I'm realizing I used the phrase "spark" in a comment talking about a horrible fire. Totally unintentional. Sheesh.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 6:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

My dad raised us to recognize the importance of art. He never had an apartment in NYC but he was the first one to take me to the museums there. Great post!

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 11:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love the sculptures and that they have been shared with the world. Thanks, Naomi.

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 6:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lucky you who has been surrounded by culture most of your life.
Art and Culture are utterly important for mankind.
Need I say more?

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 11:07:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Hats off to Daddy Joe!
My God - Rodin AND Giocometti (both of which I recognised, I'm happy to say. What riches to have had in your environment and legacy and - of course I am not talking monetary values.

Monday, December 6, 2010 at 1:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hats off indeed to your Daddy Naomi. Imagine all that art - hard to envisage really. I have enjoyed reading about your father and your life. Much love to you.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 11:13:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.