Wednesday, November 22, 2006
thanksgiving

The oldest tradition for me that is connected to our Thanksgivings is the Chocolate Turkey...! As a young child, we always had these wonderful special Chocolate Turkeys from Schrafft's....one at each place at the table....you actually had your very own individual Chocolate Turkey that you didn't have to share with anyone. And being that we were an entire family of Chocaholic's---this was delibrate and this was fantastic!

Shrafft's was a very special place to all of us, (besides having great great candy...) because we spent many Saturdays there having our favorite lunch....Creamed Chicken on Toast....(Oh my Lordy, that was good, and for dessert, a Hot Fudge Sundae.....). This would be before going to a Matinee on Broadway or a Concert at Carnegie Hall, or going to Radio City Music Hall for a movie and 'the stage show' with those fabulous Rockette's. All of these delights were in abundance in New York City....And the Schrafft's Restaurants were all over the city....at your fingertips, so to speak. And if we didn't go to Schrafft's because there wasn't time, we would go to The Automat.....Horn & Hardet's Automat...A really special place too, where you could get a fresh Chicken Pot Pie by putting in three Nickels and this little glass door would open and the Pie would pop out...freshly baked and piping hot! Ahhhhh, such memories....(Another post for another time....)

But I digress....

The Chocolate Turkey's above are what I always get now, since living on Los Angeles I mean....They are from See's Candy...and they are delightful and really yummy, too! The one's from my childhood from Scrafft's were a little bigger and they were covered in see thru celophane with an orange bow tied around the outside to keep the celophane closed and the chocolate fresh---very pretty presentayion! So, just for the fun of it I did a little research on Chocolate Turkeys and here are a few that I found.... This one above is from a place called The Chocolate Experience, and specifically, The Chocolate Turkey Farm....It is solid...yes, solid chocolate, through and through and you can specify if you want Milk, Dark or White Chocolate...and it is available in three sizes....and the one above is the second biggest Chocolate Turkey I have ever found.....6 X 8 X 4....Now, that is a wonderful pig-out size wouldn't you say?

This one below with the 'Red Head' is the biggest one I found to date (8 1/2 X 6 1/2 X 4 1/2) ....but, it is not solid through and through. And I must say, I'm not sure I would like that red turkey head...(red dye #9 anyone.....?) Hmmmmm....No, I don't think so..... It's from a place called Martine's Chocolate Creations.....

Then, next we have this BEAUTIFUL one that looks not unlike the See's Candy one at the top.... This is from Canipes Candy Kitchen....


And one more that looked really darling...and reminded me of The Schrafft's Chocolate Turkeys that we use to get more than any other that I found....at least the look of those Schrafft's turkey because of the celophane I think---though these are rather small.... They are from a place called Plum Party.....they are 1.5 ounces of chocolate.....Next year I will have to start searching earlier and send for some of these that I've never tried before.....that 2nd biggest turkey has my vote at the moment....

And now that we are all in a diabetic coma from all this chocolate...let's just take a look at a few other things that might be found on your Thanksgiving table this year..... I'll have a Crosissant, please, and do pass the butter.... Yum! Croissants are one of my most favorite things to eat....warmed in the oven and with a bit of butter....not that they need any butter.....but....it's Thanksgiving!

And then we must have this next dish.... Yes, yes, yes....A Caesar Salad, please....well, why not....Thanksgiving is supposed to be a rich meal with lots of delicious things to eat...so who cares that there will be three kinds of bread, including the stuffing, as part of the meal....right? It's only once a year my dears!

And then....we must have some mashed potatoes and a Sweet Potato Casserole and Cranberries....right?

What would Thanksgiving be without these lucious delightful dishes....and of course, there could be some other little side dishes, too...Olives---Black and Green....Celery Sticks, Radishes, Brocolli Florettes, and other little veggies that can be eaten cold.....plus, String Beans Almondine or some other green vegetable to go with the main meal....

Oh yes....one other very important componant to this Thanksgiving dinner...the traditional beautiful materfully cooked.....Thanksgiving Turkey! And to finish off this delicious meal, we have our final course....(besides the chocolate turkeys that is.....)

Two kinds of pie.....Pecan and Pumpkin....!

And then....having eaten too much though pleasantly stuffed, we have a bit of coffee and then take a little stroll, pretending we are walking off this scrumptious dinner.....then, come back and lie down for a little nap, and wake up and decide we are ready for a little bit of a snack....


Yes, the perfect finish to a grand day of eating.....!
Chocolate! More of that Chocolate Turkey that is the true reminder for me of what a lovely day Thanksgiving can be....it always was when I was a little girl and it still is....And the Chocolate Turkey more than anything else reminds me to give thanks for all the good things in my life and among those good things, are all of you, my dear blog buddies....

I wish each and every one of you who celebrates this wonderful holiday the Happiest of Thanksgivings.....Enjoy, Enjoy...and "don't eat too much".....! Oh, what the hell...eat as much as you want....you can start your diet, tomorrow....I mean the day after Thanksgiving, of course! (lol)





More To Come.....

Note: Today, Wednesday, November 22 is the anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assasination....Hard to believe it was 43 years ago....anyone who lived through it remembers very clearly where they were on that day....it was a Friday....Last year I wrote about that fateful day in detail. If you want to read my rememberances, plesse go to the archives which you will find over in the sidebar....













38 Comments:
had this to say:

Oi!.. your photo's make me full before I even begin! lol.. and then smelling the turkey cooking all day does the same thing to me. I get full before I eat! So I eat just a little (to begin with) and some hours later I pig out on gravy and stuffing! lol

I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving Naomi!

ps.. i never had a chocolate turkey!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 5:22:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What great looking turkey's and I'm really craving some chocolate now. Set a place setting for me please...I'd like to join you in all the feasting food you have on here.
Wow....43 years ALready? I didn't realize that and yes, I know exactly where "I" was. A senior in highschool, I was walking to my locker at the end of classes and when we heard the President had been shot, I thought it was joke and waited for the punchline. As we all know....the punchline never came. It was reality and a very sad day for the world.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you, my dear friend, Naomi....I'm thankful that our paths have crossed.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well I commented once and I don't know if it went through.

You have a very, very, very Happy Thanksgiving Naomi dear. And Sweetie too!!!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

love your post- i've never seen chocolate turkeys. i enjoyed reading about your family thanksgiving traditions- going to broadway shows? that's cool!! definitely different from our farm thanksgivings! i like to hear what other people do for the holidays. happy thanksgiving!!!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:28:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am making the pecan pies this year to take to mom's and my grandmother's...gotta have those!
I love the turkey idea, what a sweet tradition to have had and I'm sure at that time it was a big deal to have your own large piece of chocolate...I do like the design you've chosen.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy those warm crosissants and butter! (what a lovely butter dish btw)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:30:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What a wonderfully magical childhood memory! To be in NYC as a child with all those wonderful things is so special! I love your dinner for the big day. It's making me hungry! I think we now have 16 coming over for dinner, we'll be putting three tables together, bought extra fold-up chairs and some guests will be bringing more chairs. We even had to turn away yet more people who wanted to come. There's just no more room! Apparently everyone has heard what a great cook M is! Have a wonderfully warm, loving Thanksgiving Naomi. I hope you're surrounded by the people who love you the most. You're such a treasure!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You're making me hungry for chocolate and I don't even like it!! Those little turkeys looked so cute. I had no idea See's had them and I think I'll get them for the kids. (I literally am across the street from a See's Candy Shop, to my husband's delight). Have a great turkey day Naomi!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 8:16:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I have never seen a chocolate turkey!!! you know I am "foreign", lol. What a delicious food presentation, what fun to sort of taste everything without the calories! We won't be celebrating Thanksgiving but I wish you a wonderful day, my dear, and a solid chocolate turkey to enjoy on your vey own, because you deserve it!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 9:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy thanksgiving to you. Obviously it is another working day to us over here, but yor meal soun heavenly.pumpkin pie and pecan pie are rare over here, I don;t think I have tried either.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 12:34:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You're making me hungry for tomorrow...lol! I'll be making my pumpkin pies tonight :) I've never had a chocolate turkey, though. I don't know why!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:18:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:19:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Somehow we missed this tradition! How did that happen in a house full of people who love chocolate? I'm only a so-so chocolate fan... I can take it or leave it but these do look good.

We will be going out, no sense cooking all day for just the three of us. Besides we have left over homemade soup and Nyssa's turkey from school. Less cooking, more time for naps and football.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Delicious post, Naomi! My mouth is full of water! Hummm! I love chocolate! Those little chocolate's turkeys looks so yummy!
I hope you have a Marvelous and Happy Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

You know I love to share and learn about other countries tradition and this was a very readable post in that matter. I never celebrated Thanksgiving before my wife from US came over and I think it is a great tradition. We'll have our turkey (not chocolate!) tomorrow of course.
I just had to show here this post as well and she was very pleased!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 2:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Chocolate turkey? I've never heard/see such a thing. I guess it's a tradition that never made it's way to Canada. Bummer :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 4:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love turkey and I think I may even love a chocolate one more! I hope that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Naomi, but don't pig out on chocolate (save some room for the pies)!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 6:36:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think I just gained weight reading that!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 8:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow...chocolate turkeys...yum!
I'll have to search those out for NEXT Thanksgiving for my girls.
What a lovely tradition.

Kendra

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I don't have to think about fixin' Thanksgiving dinner -- it's all right here! ;-)

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 2:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Thanksgiving, darling Naomi.....

We don't have anything that even resembles Thanksgiving here in the UK - but I still take time to give thanks.

This year, I want to give thanks for all my new blogbuddies - and some [wink] in particular!

[hug]

cq

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 5:16:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Colleen beat me to it--accusing you of adding weight to us with just our reading of your posting. What a delicious story!
Cop Car

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 5:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This is amAzing! I have never even seen a chocolate Turkey! We have bunnies for Easter -- and Santa's for Christmas -- but we NEVER had a chocolate turkey! (another thing I've never done!) And now I am feeling really and truly neglected! I'm also feeling 'sick' after just LOOKING at all this food! LOL! I really truly can NOT eat like this anymore! We ARE cooking a turkey - cuz that's what hubby and two of the kids demand! But the other three of us do crab legs and shrimp for OUR feast! We're having our tomorrow though!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 6:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

somehow.. when i saw your post at dragonfly's blog.. i knew that yours would be fascinating!

love it!

Happy Chocolate turkey day to you!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 6:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!
Thanks for your comment on my place! Sometimes we have big storms with heavy winds and dark clouds. At this time of the year (November, December, January) it's common heavy rains. But fortunately no damage in my yard!
Again, I hope you have a Lovely Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 6:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Thanksgiving Naomi!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 7:07:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I LOVE Caesar salad, it needs to be added as a standard. But I have a relative that makes a shrimp cocktail with the BIG fat shrimp, that's yummy!

Pecan Pie - my secret is adding chunks of dark, bittersweet chocolate, mix about a half cup or so of about half inch pieces right in with everything else. Yum, it's like a big candy bar.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 9:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Happy thanksgiving!

Today is the special day when we give thanks FOR all the wonderful things and people we cherish. It is also a fitting day to give thanks TO the people who fill our lives with beauty and joy, inspiration and wonder. You do that and more, Naomi, for thousands of people around the world. So, thank you for 'sitten in the hills' and making the world a more beautiful place.

Foil-wrapped turkeys, bunnies, camels (for twelfth-night), reindeer etc. were very much a part of our tradition. Though I love choclate passionately, my mother had a difficult time convincing me to eat them before they went stale. I'd hide them in the coolest place I could find. They were so beautiful, I wanted them to last--indefinitely.

PS-Don't forget to freeze a generous baggie of turkey scraps so Sweetie can keep on 'being thankful' til the next holiday.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 11:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Now I'm really hungry -- Happy Thanksgiving to you. :)

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 1:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love that idea of chocolate turkeys but might be good I hadn't read it until it was too late to go looking for any. Yummy photos

Happy Thanksgiving

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 3:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so full, bu those chocolate turkeys look yummy!!!! Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 4:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your chocolate turkey!! :)

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 5:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Thanksgiving To You Too. I wish we'd celebrate that holiday here too. It would be nice to do so. Hmmm.....those food really make my mouth water. Croissants are one of my favorite and ooooooh the mashed potatoes. They are all so delicious looking and am sure tastes delicious as well.
Thanks for passing by and hope you visit me soon. I have something special for you.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 9:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi - Happy Thanksgiving - my heart to yours tonight. Hugs

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 11:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I knew something was missing at our Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for sharing. I'd take my chance with the red dye; he's a beautiful turkey.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 at 11:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh gee oh wow I am literally DROOLING at the mouth now. What scrumptious food!!! YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM!

The chocolate turkeys are so cool. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia, but I am seriously hanging out for one of those turkeys right about now!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Friday, November 24, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I made a little bet with myself before I came to your page today - I just knew that chocolate would be mentioned for Thanksgiving! I won my bet :)

Hope it was a good one for you.

Saturday, November 25, 2006 at 5:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How about the day AFTER the day after Thanksgiving. That being yesterday, how about the day after the day after the day...

The chocolate turkey is like a black and white photograph of Thanksgiving past--back in the age of Schrafts.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 6:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Everything is better with chocolate. I'm not sure why, as it's not like there aren't other types of sweets out there. But chocolate has a special place in our collective hearts and stomachs.

Thanks for reminding us why its richness is so memorable.

Sunday, December 3, 2006 at 3:18:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.