Sunday, December 01, 2013
the dallas buyers club


I was lucky enough to have a good friend lend me the DVD of "The Dallas Buyers Club", the film that Matthew McConaoughay stars in. This is the film for which this actor famously lost all that weight---ending up looking like a skeleton......


It is "inspired" by the true story of a man named Ron Woodroof, a homophobic bigot who contracted AIDS, during the early period when the only approved-by-the-FDA drug to fight AIDS, was a very toxic killing medicine called AZT. 
Ron Woodroof's zeal and determination NOT to be killed by this very toxic medicine, led him to seek out other alternative meds and other supportive therapies from other country's and also led him to partnering in this endeavor with a most unlikely compadre, a transgender woman, brilliantly and touchingly played by Jared Leto---("Oscar", Here I Come).....
Woodroof formed what he called, a 'buyers club' which allowed him to legally supply other AIDS patients with this life-saving cocktail-of sorts.......
So many lives were saved by this daring and audacious move by this strange and interesting character, defying the rules of the FDA at that time, by any means needed, including, partnering up with someone he abhorred-----but, who ended up being a true alley as well as a true friend.
No, neither of them survived.  But both of these people, plus thousands upon thousands of other people had their lives extended by embracing illegal alternatives because the wheels of justice concerning AIDS research and drug availability here in the United States lagged so far behind in interest and in caring because AIDS was thought of as a gay man's disease,  and good riddance.
The evidence of this attitude by our Government is undeniable.
It took years and years to change this attitude and at a great loss of life.
Ron Woodroof's tenacity to find something----anything really----to extend his life from the death sentence of "You will be dead in 30 days".....
This is what this film is all about, and further than that, it is about the change in one man's feelings of inhumanity to actually caring for another human being who he had formally hated out of total ignorance.
This is an important film on many many levels, and the bonus for this truly surprisingly moving film----
the performances of Jared Leto and Mr. McConaughey.
Is this worth seeing?
You Bet!!!



And, in honor of World AIDS Day, here is a link to a post I wrote a lot of years ago regarding my own personal losses to this atrocious insidious disease, especially during the truly terrible years of this Plague, before anything but AZT was available.



More To Come 








16 Comments:
had this to say:

Thank you.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 11:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am glad today that there are better treatments for AIDS and i hope that continues to be the case. I am sure there are other remedies for diseases that the FDA won't okay and often on economic grounds or again that puritan streak and yes, I'm talking about marijuana which a few states have legalized for medical reasons but we still hear threats from even the Democratic administration that they reserve the right to go after growers. It's totally nuts except for one possible reason-- money.

It's not just the US either but the EU where when my husband was in the Netherlands and got a cold even getting Vitamin C in any dose required a prescription (don't know if that's still true as it was a few years back). They'd rather you buy something more expensive and less effective so big pharma can continue making their mega profits.

Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 2:02:00 PM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That sounds a film not to be missed, celebrating the progress that has been made since the awful black days.
I don't know those two actors but the photograph of them together is
fascinating - both isolated in their own bleakness - the ladder in her stocking - makes me want to know why they are together.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 1:42:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I will definitely see that film, based on your recommendation. I had an employee come to me (when I was working my corporate job) and confide that he was HIV positive - this was in the mid-90s. He had missed a lot of work and he wanted me to understand why. He is still with us and doing well - I'm so delighted that the "right" drugs came along.

I went to the link and read your post from 2006. I saw the AIDS Quilt in DC when it was on the Washington Mall. It was truly astounding to see it in person. I'm so sorry for your losses -

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 10:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I haven't heard of this film, but if I get the opportunity, I'll definitely watch it. You always seem to give out good advice when it comes to recommending movies to watch.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 5:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm really looking forward to this one, Naomi. I'm glad you recommend it -- you see a lot of things and I take your word seriously!

Hope all is well with you. Take care!

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 6:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I still think you should get paid for your reviews! :o)

I am glad it is so good.. it always scares me though when someone either looses all that weight or gains it for movies.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 1:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I just read the 2006 post as well - so powerful. I remember when AIDS was a death sentence. Even as a kid, I couldn't figure out all of the hate.

I'm sorry you lost so many friends, Naomi. You wrote a lovely tribute.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sounds this is a great film and a film not to be missed!
Thanks for this good review, dear Naomi.
I think Matthew McConaughey is a great actor. Btw, McConaughey married a gorgeous Brazilian model and television performer
Camila Alves and the couple have three children.
Hope you have a nice day!

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 3:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Me again Naomi,
I remember well the post you did
in December 01, 2006. Really a great and moving tribute to World AIDS Day.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 3:28:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

This is on my "must see" list.

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 10:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I got chills just reading the review! I saw a clip and wrote this movie down. A role of a lifetime for MM and such a meaningful topic delving into humanity at large.

Friday, December 6, 2013 at 11:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I remember doing a report on AIDS in school when I was in 8th grade and my senior year in high school. There is so much different meds out there now to make them live longer. I know a guy in New York who has been HIV Positive for 13 years now and with his meds he may live a long life. He realized he was gay and had an affair behind his wifes back with this man and now they live together with the disease. She didn't want a divorce from him. she just wanted an explanation. He wrote the book called something like my love of Jody. I don't remember exactly what its called.I have a signed copy of the book around the house some where.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The things we take for granted- in many countries Neosporin is by Prescription only.

My prayer for the new year is that in our honest quest for better distribution of medical care, we haven't stopped our leadership in break-through.

We have just begun in the past decade to make progress against the rainbow of auto-immune diseases. If the pharmaceutical companies need money to wage their war on behalf of the ill- may they get what they need and use it wisely.

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 11:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Now this looks like an excellent film too! A must see. Yeah, Aids treatment has come a long, long way since those early days. So many many sad loses.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 3:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really want to see this one. Matthew is one of my favorite actors.

BTW: Jared Leto went to the same summer camp as my daughters and they remember him well.

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 9:38:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.