Tuesday, February 21, 2012
the passing parade

Every day of the week and especially on Saturday's and Sunday's, there is this 'Passing Parade' of people, dressed up as characters from the movies.....and of course there are the tourists who come to see the 'Passing Parade' and the Walk Of Fame Stars in the sidewalk and the Hand and Footprints in front of Grauman's Chinese.....Where are we? Why, we are on the north side of Hollywood Blvd, between Highland Avenue and Orange Drive.....And sometimes it so crowded it looks like Times Square.....Add Image I don't know who those two guys are that look like Robots---I'm sure some of you do know and will tell me...But the creature over on the right has a "Yoda" mask on.....Here is a closer look at him, and a closer look at 'Yellow Man Robot'........ What is kind of fascinating to me is how many people want their pictures taken with these 'pretend' characters---and will pay to have their picture taken with whomever.....Here below, a rather grim group..... In case you aren't sure, the woman in the middle with the sun glasses is the tourist....."Chucky" reigns......And here below is Charlie Chaplin....I thought he looked pretty damn good....No one was hurrying over to him at that moment, but I'm sure he did get a lot of play as the afternoon wore on....... I included the picture above because you can see two other characters in the car mirror...I don't know who they are either, but they certainly look colorful.....And below...a closer look at the Chaplin man.....I think about what it must cost these people who come out and 'play' the characters....Some of the costumes are very elaborate, especially the Robot figures....Here's another one, below....... This looks like it had to be quite costly.....It looks very well made and very classy too......The woman below....Well, not so much.Then, of course, you have the many Spiderman characters---there are always a few of them.....the variety of costumes is quite amazing----some well made and some, not so well made, and with quite a variety of materials, too! This Spiderman's costume doesn't look very well made and it doesn't seem to fit too well---and that is an odd slash of color on his back...The lady with him? I don't know who she is supposed to be....Spiderwoman maybe? Her costume is not very good either, in my opinion......Below...Another Spiderman....... His costume seems better made....It seems to be kind of puffy.....He had a 'pretend' gun, too...... When he saw me taking a picture of him from the car, he came over to the car pointing the gun at me--I wasn't fast enough to get a picture of that.....Then, to me, the best dressed Spiderman of the day was this fellow below....... His costume looked the Best Fit and the most Well Made.....There may have been others there that day, but these were the ones I was lucky enough to capture from our mostly moving car.....Here below is a fun picture of a Spiderman and a Batman which I took back in 2008..... I thought it was funny that these two guys were having a conversation....And below---a close-up of Spiderman's 'package'......How clever of him to carry his cell phone right there......! There were lots of other characters out and about....Below, this terrific One Man Band...... What was great about this was the fellow who was dancing with him was a tourist....And all the other people on the sidewalk there, really got into it, too.....You never know what or who you are going to see on any given Saturday or Sunday........ Darth Vadar out for a stroll......And, last but not least....the One, The Only....... Like I said, you never know who you might see.........








More To Come.......








30 Comments:
had this to say:

A fun parade of people indeed! Wish I could have stayed a bit longer to enjoy being a tourist. Such fun people-watching!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 2:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

wow! I think only once ..when I first moved to ca and went into hollywood was there someone dressed up (and it may well have been Charlie Chaplan)he would stand very still like a statue and suddenly move and everyone would jump and laugh LOL... are they people paid to do that??? or just ordinary folk who make costumes (very good ones for the most part)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 2:47:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow Naomi, that is quite a group. I can see why you indulge. Very interesting though Wonder Woman really should rethink her costume.
Wonder how much they make in a day though I'll bet a lot would do it for free and the attention.
I enjoyed the show.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 4:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi, Naomi, the robot characters look like they're out of the 'Transformers' films.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi!

They are called Transformers, characters from a Hasbro toy line that spawned 3 big hit films...all lousy, but hugely successful. Remember that giant poster installed on The Sunset-Vine Tower? It was for this franchise.

Boy, that really looks like MJ!!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 9:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I hit send too soon!!!! Ha!

Anyway these Transformers are from another planet, and there are good ones and there are bad ones. They are called Transformers, because just like the toys they can be turned into different things: a car, a plane, etc., You get the idea.

Have a great day,

Stan

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 9:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What an amazing spectacle - such a mish-mash of characters.Thanks for sharing :)

I hope you are feeling more yourself now after all you have had to cope with.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 3:04:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It's fairly obvious that some of those in the tight fitting super heroes' costumes don't look in the mirror much.

Geeze Louise on a mountain bike!

Cheers, dear.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 4:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This is really fun! The Chaplin is outstanding -- and Michael Jackson is pretty much a ringer, too! And, hope you are feeling better by now and looking forward to the Oscars this weekend!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 5:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I read a story months ago about one Spiderman who was arrested because his 'package' was far too evident

I loved Chaplin

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 6:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So much to look at in Hollywood! I don’t ever see unusual characters like those walking in Atlanta…. But, I’d rather look at the view from your balcony – it is a lot more beautiful and ever changing. A year goes so fast – it was about this time last year that we were in California and had such a great time visiting you. But, we may still go back.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 8:31:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Yellow guy in first pictures is a Transformer, the characters in the mirror are Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street. Love the pix!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 1:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

When we visited you it was a Friday and the place was busy but we didn't have time to stop there then. That was when the tours were hopping at only $20 each too. When we came back on Monday (the day before we left because we got the rental car back) there weren't as many characters out.

You got some great ones here. Indeed, Bryce would LOVE the spiderman ones. I babysat him yesterday and he wore the suit all day! I learned from him that the yellow robot guy is "Bumblebee." He's a transformer.

The Charlie Chaplin and Micheal Jackson characters you captured are particularly good. I thought the Superman one I got was good too. I mean some of them actually look like the actors.

And yes, that restaurant I posted was Buca de Beppo! We ate there once and were served a ton of delicious food but Joe doesn't eat dairy and they the dish had cheese in it, which wasn't described as such on the menu. So they gave him some meatballs and spaghetti and I was left with the "family size" dish!

Thursday, February 23, 2012 at 10:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The Charlie Chapin and Michael Jackson characters really do look like them!

You've captured some great photos and I could only wish that we had parades like that :)

Friday, February 24, 2012 at 5:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It sure looks like wondrous fun to me!!! Awesome photos!!!!

Friday, February 24, 2012 at 11:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Cool! Though I am pretty sure that was actually MJ. Pretty sure!

Friday, February 24, 2012 at 6:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful parade of characters. I really liked Chaplin and Michael Jackson! Wow! I love all the excitement on that street, and all those Spidermen...and their packages! LOL

Very nice, Naomi. I'd love to visit your town one day. xo

Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 7:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

just another day in Hollyweird. Hi Naomi...Hope your doing fine up in those beautiful hills far away from the madness below...Cheers to you sweet Lady!

Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 3:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a fun parade, Naomi!
You took some great photos of such a variety of character.

I hope you are feeling better my dear! Wishing you a peaceful Sunday.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 6:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

If I lived near there, I might go watch them every week. I had my photo taken with a Charlie Chaplain look-alike once.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 8:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The MJ person looks very convincing!

You take such great photos from the car too! I love them all. How fun. I suppose it would be a good way of getting some attention and money too. The last time we were in Vegas there were some guys dressed up as Elvis. I didn't realise you had to pay them to pose with you though!

Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 9:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really got a kick out of these photos. I've never taken the time to go down to see these characters, or didn't pay much attention to what few I saw when I've been there in years past. I suspect economic conditions may have brought out a few more costumed folk and obviously many tourists love them. Wonder if they actually earn enough tips or can charge enough to make it worth their while? That Charlie Chaplin character really looked good. Wonder how many people today even know who he was? 'Spose some of these costumed people think they may get work from this exposure? Maybe some of them are aspiring imitators who book these jobs and they just didn't have work that day. Glad you got out to take these pictures and shared here.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 4:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Tonight is the big one Naomi. Can't wait to hear your take on the event. Enjoy every minute.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 5:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I loved Vagabonde's post of your childhood home!! You are an amazing person with such a fascinating family history and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about you.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 7:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Always a show in Hollywood!
I used to live in Woodland Hills, but on occasion, I'd catch such fanfare too. Never a dull moment!

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 10:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

p.s. I came from Vagabonde's, after she shared about your family home. Glad to meet you.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 10:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Well, Naomi, if I ever get the chance to go back to visit LA, I am definitely going to stroll around in that neighbourhood and have a look at those crazy movie characters. Do they only appear at weekends? I suppose during the week they are holding down their day jobs as corporate lawyers and brain surgeons.... LOL!

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 10:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi again Naomi: I was just tootling through my blog contacts and I noticed the post that Vagabonde wrote about your childhood home in Great Neck. I remember you showing pictures of the home as it was when your family lived there, and I found it quite thrilling to see pictures of it as it is today. What a lovely house. How wonderful that Vagabonde was invited in to see the inside. Quite a trip into the past for you, I am sure.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 at 11:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow...how fun! The Charlie Chaplin character is really good but I think the most amazing of all is the Michael Jackson!!!

Monday, February 27, 2012 at 8:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Yes, an amazing group. I can remember having a sort of double take around there when I saw an off-duty Batman getting out of an elevator.

Monday, February 27, 2012 at 3:16:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.