Tuesday, February 07, 2012
more mix of films - part 3

Woody Harrelson is, I think, a very underrated actor. I've seen him in a number of films in the last couple of years and he is always terrific! There is an intensity that underlies all of the work he does---and, a true intelligence....In "RAMPART" he plays a very complicated policeman--a "cop", who seems to have no scruples when it comes to his job---he is a keg of dynamite that blows and always feels justified. He is a rather gentle soul in his very complicated personal life, but...not really. The inner dynamite is always under the surface. This is a very interesting and rather violent 'character study', as we watch this complex man pretty much disintegrate before our eyes. Powerful stuff. The cast that has been assembled by Director and co-writer Owen Moverman is incredibly talented and impressive on all levels....Sigourney Weaver, Cynthia Nixon, Anne Heche, Ben Foster, Audra McDonald, Steve Buscemi, Robin Wright, Ned Beatty and Ice Cube, to name just a few of the splendid actors on view in this film---some with just one or two scenes....! Though this is a pretty violent film, I liked it very very much---it is moving and beautifully rendered....Woody Harrelson shines!"MONEYBALL".....is based on the true story of The Oakland A's and their Manager Billy Beane---played beautifully by Brad Pitt. This is a very very good film and I recommend it highly! Though it involves the game of Baseball, it is not a Baseball film, per se. The story revolves around a man, (Brad Pitt) who pretty much changed the way players are acquired in professional Baseball......It's inspiring and moving, too, and again, there is a wonderful cast....Jonah Hill, (Nominated for an Oscar, as is Brad Pitt...), Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Wright....ALL terrific. 'Moneyball' has received 6 Oscar nominations.....A fun observation: No one eats with more gusto on film than Brad Pitt.....! I've noticed his 'eating' in any number of films---He would be fun to cook for...! (And not bad to look at, either.....). "IDES OF MARCH".......I liked this film very much....! George Clooney directed it and is in it, as well. It involves a campaign for The Presidency by a Governor---very current, I would say---and has a fabulous cast, too.....Ryan Gosling, such a very talented actor, plays the lead character---a complex man with all sorts of ambitions.....Paul Giamatti, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Evan Rachel Wood, Marisa Tomei and Jeffrey Wright, to name just a few included in this stellar cast, and Clooney, of course, playing the Governor.....This film has been out for quite a while, but I was just able to rent the DVD recently.....It is a very good film and well worth your time......! It is Oscar nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, Clooney being one of the Writers, too......"THE SKIN I LIVE IN"....I found this to be a very strange and disturbing film and not one I would particularly recommend, unless you happen to be a huge Pedro Almodovar fan......I found the movie creepy and, for me, without any redeeming factors, except that it is beautifully filmed....Not enough for me when I am so put off by the actual story.....Antonio Banderas plays a Plastic Surgeon obsessed and kind of possessed......I like him, a lot....but, the character he plays is so twisted, in my opinion.....OY! Pass on this one. It has been Nominated for a number of Foreign Film Awards---Not an Oscar, but in some other prestigious Awards, like The BAFTA, to name just one....... "THE WAY"....This is a really lovely film! It is an Independent Film, written and directed by Emilio Estevaz---Martin Sheen's son, and the wonderful Martin Sheen is superb, playing the father of a son who has died just as he began a spiritual journey in The Pyrenees, while walking the Camino de Santiago.....The father, decides to take this 'trip' himself, hoping to honor his dead son and in the process he comes to some very important inner changes in his own life. He meets other people on their own journey---three, in particular, and these four travel together throughout the film......This is really a very inspiring film...It is gentle in it's 'teaching' and everyone who takes this journey takes away something very personal....In the case of Tom, he begins to truly understand the son he never really knew. It is a very moving film, and well worth your time. Do rent it.....!


More To Come........







20 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The Camino de Santiago is on my "bucket list" and has been there for awhile. I really want to see Martin Sheen in this.

Cheers.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 6:50:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Woody Harrelson is always so watchable and having for years projected the daffy character in 'Cheers' I think he is a brilliant actor to be convincing in other roles.
'The Way' really appeals also - in fact as baseball isn't my thing(sorry Randall) that's the only one I'd pass on, that and the skin one.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 7:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I am not a Pitt fan. But I agree, he is a good eater. There is another great eater I've always admired...course I can't think of him right now. Money Ball for me was "OK," but not nomination worthy. Must see those other films! Thanks again for taking the time to inform us.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 7:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

dear naomi - always such a pleasure to drop by one of your movie review posts! and time after time i find our tastes in films very similar! totally agree about woody! i've followed him forever and always thought him far underrated - he has such intensity with each role - i love him! thanks so much for your always thought provoking reviews! so sorry to be such an infrequent visitor of late - since my sister's death, it seems i'm not quite back in focus on many things - my blog, as well - also seems my muses have been musing elsewhere and so my own creative energies missing in action - in any event, it's always fun dropping by your place in the hills here - hope you are doing well, dear lady! hugs - j

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 2:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the reviews. Some I had heard of and some not. I am a big Woody Harrelson fan. He is good in anything he does.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 4:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks again for your reviews. Moneyball is high on my list. I love baseball and Brad Pitt makes it a win/win for me.
I wasn't aware of The Way and will give that one a try also.
You never steer me wrong.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 5:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

We very nearly rented Ides of March and/or Moneyball this weekend, then opted for the Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" and a bicycle movie from long ago called "American Flyer." I do want to check out Moneyball before next week!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 5:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

As always it is a treat to read your movie reviews. You have mentioned some good ones that I need to see. I also like Brat Pitt a lot – he is cute and good. George Clooney is one of my favorites as well – I am pleased that they both made some good films lately.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 7:32:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I always love reading your reviews! I put all them in my "to watch list"! I really trust and consider so much your opinion!
Yes, I totally agree about Woody Harrelson, I think he is a brilliant actor!
Thanks for more one clever reviews, dear Naomi! You did a wonderful work here as always you did!
Many hugs!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 5:07:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I have enjoyed Woody Harrelson's performances in the past, but never really thought much about them. I am a huge fan of Steve Buscemi and Ben Foster, so I'm putting Rampart on my Netflix. I saw both Moneyball and Ides of March. I was really impressed with Ryan Gosling's performance in "Ides" as well as in "Crazy, Stupid Love." I think I'm going to pass on "Skin." I've been anticipating "The Way" for months now. I saw an interview with Emelio when they were shooting it and was reminded of it again last week when Martin mentioned it during his episode on "Who do you think you are." That's also on my Netflix. Can't wait. Thanks for the review.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 7:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Shoot. MORE movies to put on my list of movies to watch!!

Pearl

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 10:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi - you should be on a program giving your reviews. I love them and they inspire me to go see the movie! Keep it up please...

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 7:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I think Woody Harrelson plays the powder keg kind of guy best. Either that or humor. I don't remember seeing Robin Wright in Moneyball, a film I was surprised I liked to much, mainly because of Brad Pitt's character study performance. I noticed his eating too and thought it really worked for that character. Ides of March was scary realistic and got better as it went, I thought. Now I forget what else I was going to say or what other movies you wrote about. My mind is going!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 8:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!

I feel the same way as Diane in regards to "Moneyball". I liked it, but I'm not getting why it got so many noms. I have to pay attention to how Brad eats now :)

I also agree with Vancouver in regards to Ryan G. We just saw "Crazy Stupid Love" and it was terrific. Some really smart lines in that movie.

Stan
XOXO

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 at 9:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

gads, I need to see some movies lol! The Way sounds pretty good and it's one that I've not heard of. The brad pitt movie keeps gaining momentum. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but anything i've seen him in he's done very well. He is a good actor for sure.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 3:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Some interesting reviews and some films I've not seen advertised over here.

I'll be interested in the 'Ides' one and 'Ramparts'. The poster for Ides is also very clever.

I quite like the characters Brad Pitt plays although I'm less sure I'd follow a baseball film (although you say its not really a baseball movie).

Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 11:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hey naomi! just dropping by to say hello and hope all is well in your world today - was thinking of you - hugs - jenean

Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 2:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I loved The Way too! I talked about that film on my blog. Such a great story line and good characters.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 12:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I've seen "Moneyball" and enjoyed it.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 12:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Catching up. Moneyball is one of the few baseball movies we haven't seen. My husband's younger brother is retired from MLB. Oakland was one of the teams he pitched for. Maybe we can watch this weekend.

I had forgotten about the Sheen film. I heard him interviewed before it opened.

Nice to have life coming back to where the mind can operate.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 10:51:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.