Tuesday, December 06, 2011
miss peggy lee


Peggy Lee....one of the "GREATS".......she was a great singer and a consummate composer and she was unique, and just 'something else', as they say.....I mentioned this song, "Is That All There Is?" in my last post about the tv show "Boss"......I ended up feeling like what the song says...."Is That All There Is?", and then I found it on YouTube......This song was written by Mike Stoller and Jerry Leiber. I think it is my favorite of all their many songs.....
Back to "Boss" for just a moment: Having watched the next to last episode of this first season of "Boss"...I was overwhelmed with the fact that it is huge...Like Greek Tragedy, or a play of tragedy on a Shakespearean scale--like The Scottish Play that begins with "M".....So, I guess, there really is nothing new under the sun, as they say.....People have been corrupt and power hungry and stop at nothing, for centuries. "Boss" is our present day Greek Tragedy....Our "King Lear", or The Scottish Play.......
Now.....going back to the fabulous Peggy Lee: One of her GREATEST Albums in my opinion was "Norma Deloris Egstrom From Jamestown, North Dakota" (1972)....I understand this album was reissued in 2004 by EMI, using some alternate takes because the Original Master was somehow destroyed...(OY VEY!!), but it appears it is no longer available---a crying shame, because this is a record to cherish....! There are so many wonderful songs on this terrific album....Here are just two of them....Enjoy.....!
I was lucky enough to spend an evening with Miss Peggy Lee many years ago....dear friends of mine, Ken & Mitzie Welch, who had worked with her, had a "Game" Party, and I was one of the guests along with Ms. Lee.....All the "games" were music related or film/stage related. For one of the musical ones, we were divided into teams of four....I was on the same team as Miss Peggy.....Songs were played by different artists and you had to fill in their names going across the page, one right underneath the other like a crossword. When it was all filled in---another "Artists" name was spelled out going down the center of the musical crossword and that was the Final Answer for that particular game.....The most unforgettable moment was when one of Peggy's songs was played and she did not recognize that it was her singing. Truly, My Hand To God! This was Hilarious and absolutely honest on her part.....For me, this was a precious and delicious experience......She was one of The Best singer/songwriter's/performers---Ever! And here is one more video...."A Song For You", written by the great Leon Russell. This song is on that most memorable album I mentioned above.....I wish this were a better video, but I'm thrilled it is available at all!
A Song For You Lyrics

I've been so many places in my life and time
I've sung a lot of songs, I've made some bad RHYMES
I've acted out my life in stages
With ten thousand people watching
But we're alone now and I'm singin' this song to you

I know your image of me is what I hope to be,
I've treated you unkindly, darling, but can't you see
There's no one more important to me
So baby can't you please see through me
'cause we're alone now and I'm singin' this song for you

You taught me precious secrets of the truth, withholdin' nothin'
You came out in front and I was hiding
But now I'm so much better so if my words don't come together
Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding

I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for my life, 'cause you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over, remember that we were together
We were alone and I was singin' this song for you,

We were alone and I was singing this song for you.



More To Come.........







21 Comments:
had this to say:

How funny that she didn't recognize her own voice and her own song! OMG, I can picture that scene and I love it!!

She has one unique and wonderful singing voice. Thank you for sharing the videos, amiga!

Happy Tuesday and give Sweetie a hug for me!! xo

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 3:48:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

She's from a time when music consisted of songs. Alas, I fear that such a time may never return.

Cheers.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 5:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

She was quite a lady!!!! Thanks!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 6:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Perry Lee was of the era that could carry a tune.. and hold a note (a true note! not warbling)there are few singers of today that can lay claim to that.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 7:28:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Wow. What talent. So I recognized "A Song for You" because I only ever heard the Carpenters perform it. So I just listened to Peggy's version and the Carpenter's version side by side. Both are truly emotional, but Peggy's version seems more haunting and the Carpenters' version more upbeat in spots and more sad in others. It's really interesting to see how different artists treat the same song.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 8:07:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I like her voice.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 4:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i adore peggy lee. also love 'mr wonderful'. and didn't she sue disney and win? one of the few to actually get money from them..xxx lovely post

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 7:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I was "introduced" to Peggy Lee in the Disney film Lady and The Tramp. When the film was rereleased in the late 60's or maybe 1970, she began appearing on a lot of TV shows. IMDB trivia says that she was the first superstar used in an animated film. She really has a great voice.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 12:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

My Dad liked Peggy Lee.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 9:35:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi I'll have to come back - I'm missing the first two videos.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 4:52:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Ah that was lovely. I didn't know that last song. Each song I hear her sing I think that was my favourite - she has the ability to make each one special.
And she looks just like her voice - soft and velvety.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 7:45:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Peggy Lee was my Dad's favorite singer. The older I get, the more I can appreciate a singer like Peggy Lee (less is more). Love her "Basin Street East" live album.

Peggy not recognizing her own voice reminds me of a story Barbra Streisand has told. She was riding in a cab and the song "Alfie" was playing on the radio. She really liked the girl's rendition, so when she got to where she was going she called the radio station to ask the name of the singer who sung Alfie...the guy replied, "Barbra Streisand."

Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 3:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Nice. I really enjoyed the 2nd video with all of the photos of her through the years. I dig how she looks in the mid 60's.

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 9:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

No one can deliver a song with so much allure and sex appeal as Miss P. L. . How awesome that you got to hang out with her. I hope that you have alot of these memories of your life written down. What a book!
oy vey indeed.

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 6:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

She is a wonderful singer! I enjoyed the songs and seeing all the different pictures of her. She looks great in short or long hair. That's funny that she didn't recognize herself singing! I guess she just wasn't expecting it!

Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

A Song for You is one of my most favorite songs
it's haunting and poignant
and Peggy did it better than anyone
she was incredible
I remember loving her even when I was a kid
I saw her on Ed Sullivan and she was chubby and had a beauty mark just like me :)

Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 4:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

One of my all time faves. I love her singing "Fever".

Saturday, December 10, 2011 at 5:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love Peggy Lee! What an amazing talent! Just great that you spend an evening with this wonderful singer! I enjoyed so much the videos. Thanks for sharing, dear Naomi!

Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 12:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't really know much about Peggy Lee until I heard Elvis sing "Fever". I have to be totally honest, I preferred his version, but I am a big Elvis fan, so what do you expect! But I've grown to love Peggy's too!

As for A Song For You, I will always connect with the Carpenters. Karen had such a wonderful voice and she seemed to make every song her own. That's always the sign of a great artist.

Thanks for sharing these videos with us!

Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 3:07:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That is a riot that she didn't recognize here own song. I LOVED Leon Russell in the 70's and that song in particular. I saw him recently but it was disappointing, no energy there.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 8:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am pleased you found these videos – they are fun to watch. She was such a talented singer - I always liked to hear her. How about you spending an evening with her and playing games with her – you have known so many great people and you are one of the greats too!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 5:35:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.