Monday, January 12, 2009
birthdays

Today is Madison Clair Parks' Birthday. She turns 13 years old, today....Quite a milestone, isn't it, that day we go into our teens.....?
In the picture above Maddy is with her dear Grandma, Betty Garrett Parks.....I took this picture on New Years Eve, as we began 2007.....so it is two years old, but....it shows you everything that Maddy is in a glorious way......And here below is Maddy, as she looked almost 13 years ago....... As you can see, this picture has food spots on it---it is because it is a picture if a picture that has been up on one of my kitchen cabinets for many years....I never wanted to even try to wash off the spots because I was afraid it would destroy the picture.....This sweet little baby has become such a very very sweet 13 year old....Bright, funny, imaginative, creative and interested in everything......Here below is another picture of Maddy with me, taken not quite 18 months after her birth.... I love this picture! It too, is up on one of the cabinets in my kitchen....Not quite as much food is visible on this picture of the picture. It was a 'print out' on regular paper given to me by Maddy's parents.....The night this was taken, the four of us had been to dinner up at a restaurant we all liked very much, Mulholland Grill.....in The Beverly Glen Shopping Center at the top of Beverly Glen Blvd. Maddy was only 6 weeks old when she had her first Restaurant experience....So, she was fine with Mulholland Grill.....This picture was taken outside while walking around this pretty little shopping area..... It just so happens that January 12th is my mothers Birthday, too.....I think it is one of the reasons I never forget Maddy's Birth date.....What a sad sad little face in that picture above.....Heartbreaking, really.....She was around two or three years old in that picture...... A little happier times in the picture above....this was taken around 1920-1921......I think it was the year my parents were married....or just before.... Backstage after a performance of "Spoon River Anthology"....We had moved to The Belasco Theatre on 44th street by this time, and my mother had just been through a Mastectomy and was getting radiation treatments---but she came to see the show, anyway. I am still in my stage-make-up because it was between the matinee and evening performance......this was around Christmas of 1963.... And the above picture was taken in January, just about three months before my mother died on April 2, 1966.....You don't forget those dates either.....But my very favorite picture of my mother is this one below.....She looks so very beautiful, I think...... Amazing to think that my mother would have turned 110 years old today....Of course the chances of that happening, even if she had been in perfect health for her entire life, were slim, slim, slim to none......But, it is her Birthday today, and it always will be. And above....a picture of 'Maamaw'....my Grandmother....And in fact, my mother's mother. This was taken in Florida sometime in the 1940's.....She was an amazing woman who lived to be 99 1/3.....!
It was her Birthday, yesterday, January 11th.....her 138th Birthday....! She died in 1970. So, you do the math---She was born in 1871.....Maamaw came to this country, alone, from Lithuania when she was 13 years old, traveling in Steerage, and that trip took a whole month! Somewhere in that time she lost this letter of introduction that she had to some people in Detroit. So, she did not go to Detroit but remained in New York City. How brave was that? She didn't know a soul, but, somehow she managed to survive.....And one would have to say, I guess, that she more than survived....Thrived, would give the wrong impression. She was never a woman of means, but she worked very very hard and after her husband died when he was 45 years old, she managed to earn a living and feed two children---a pretty great accomplishment in those days for a woman alone.......


So, I wish my 'Maamaw' a Happy Birthday and my 'Ma' a Happy Birthday, too......and dear Madison Clair Parks, the Happiest of Birthdays possible, as she begins those amazing years known as the "teens".....!

More To Come.........
















32 Comments:
had this to say:

Many happy returns to the beautiful young woman Maddy so obviously is. Also best wishes to you Naomi as you remember your mother and grandmother who sounds like amazing women.

Thank you for all your visits and best wishes. I am doing much better now but the pain killers leave me very tired and 'woozy'. It was so nice to open my computer and find you had been thinking of me. Thank you :)

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 3:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

that's a lot of wonderful Happy Birthdays!!

time just keeps on marching by doesn't it? sheesh.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 6:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love the one of you hugging Maddy. I reminds me of how I feel about Bryce. When I feel bad about getting older I think of him and remember the continuum of life. My friend Alex who died too young said, don't think of me as dead, think of me as making room for someone else.

I love looking at faces and resemblances and pondering the mysteries of life and death.

I thought of you last night, Naomi, while watching the Golden Globes.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 7:00:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy birthday to the bday girls today!!

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 7:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

This is a very sweet post about all the different birthday ladies. Madison is such a lovely girl! Turning 13 is a big milestone for her!! They grow up fast don't they?

Great pictures, great post Naomi!!

Love and hugs,
Rachel

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 8:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Madison Claire is such a fresh-faced pretty young girl ! Happy 13th birthday to her :)

Thanks for sharing all of those other photos, Naomi.
You have a beautiful family to remember, with your Mom and Grandmother having such dignity and grace in their faces.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 8:20:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday(s) to the females in your life Naomi.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 9:02:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What lovely photos, especially the one of you in your stage makeup. So glamorous!

Yes, I am paying a visit...I'm sure you have wondered what happened to me. I just checked my blog for the first time in months and saw all of your comments. I so appreciate you checking in, and feel like a heel for not seeing them before.

As you saw from Deana's comments, I lost my grandmother. She was like a second mother to me and it was very hard. At the same time we knew that we would be moving but I couldn't talk about it until it became public knowledge where we live. So the two biggest things in my life were either unpleasant to share or a big secret! I just decided to drop the blog for a while, but now that I am moving I have a good excuse to start back up. Once we are settled I will rejoin the virtual world. See you soon!

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 10:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lovely picture of your mother, Naomi, and happy birthday to all.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 11:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a lot of birthdays for some beautiful women - and one woman-to-be :-)

Anyway, I popped by with an invitation;

You are cordially invited to
A 'Hearts and Flowers' Party
from 8pm UK time
Friday 13 February 2009
until 12 midnight UK time
Sunday 15 February 2009
at the Palace of the Crazie One

http://craziequeen.blogspot.com/2009/01/hearts-and-flowers-party.html

cq

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 12:18:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

maddy is such a beautiful young lady! and ms. betty, she looks fabulous as always!
i love seeing the photos of your family from way back when. i don't know why, i just do.
happy birthday to maddy & your mama, bless her soul.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 12:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lots of birthdays for you to remember and reminisce about.

That picture that you say is your fav of your mom? You look sooo much like her!

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 1:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What lovely memories Naomi and yes your Mom looked so pretty and I must say Maddy is such a gorgeous young girl ;) How time flies.

Also Naomi, thank you for the lovely comments introducing the types of camera, well appreciated.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:17:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A very Happy Birthday to these amazing three women.
Such a beautiful young lady Maddy has grown to be.
I love the photo of you and your mother and the younger one of her as well.
And that's quite a story about your grandmother....lots of strength and no doubt that's been passed on to you.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:27:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really enjoy reading your posts when you reminisce about your family members. Your grandmother was very brave coming to a new country all by herself and staying in NY when she reralised she couldn't go to Detroit. How nice for you to remember them on their birthdays.... and happy days to your young friend Maddy too.... what a charming young lady she is!

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 6:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I wonder why a 3 year old would have such sad eyes...but that picture you like of your mother is BEAUTIFUL (no sadness there!).

Your Maamaw chose a wonderful city to hang her hat. You know what they say about New York; if you can make it there...well, she made it to 99 1/3! An amazing woman!

I celebrate the birthdays of Madison Clair, your mom and Maamaw with you!! Happy Birthday, ladies! :)

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 7:27:00 PM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I love looking at pictures of a person as they age over time. You can see key features in their faces that never change. Your mother and grandmother look quite a bit alike. Happy Birthday to one and all!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 4:00:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

A great variety of photos and all charming. I wonder if your mother was the first to 'hug a tree'?
The one you like best is truly beautiful. Our loved ones do live on - in our heads and hearts - don't they?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 4:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy birthday to all the birthday girls. Maddy is gorgeous. I guess it runs in her family :)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 5:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

happy birthday maddy! 13 wow i remember turning 13. awesome post btw!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 6:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. Thank you for sharing this shared milestone. Every time you write, I learn more about your rich history. Moreover, I appreciate how your history connects with ours.

You are uniquely gifted in this regard - and in so many others, of course.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 9:29:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, thank you again for sharing photo's of some of the special people who helped shape you life, ideas part of what makes you who you are. I also love to see photos of people at different ages, its very interesting to see changes and likeness, of people.
Miss Maddy is a lovley young lady, my favorite from what you posted is of her and yourself when she was 18 months. I really like that age in a small child. Have a great week. p from NY

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 10:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful pictures and happy birthday to them all

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 11:55:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a nice birthday tribute to your family and Miss Maddy...who is beautiful, too. I love hearing about your family history. The of your grandmother coming here at such a young age, alone, and making her way is just amazing.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 1:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Happy birthday memories all around.

The women in your family sure do favor each other. Beautiful, all of you!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 6:59:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

A lovely tribute to them all, Naomi. Maddy is gorgeous! Do I detect another actress in the family?

Your mother's photo as a young woman is beautiful. Jan. 12 was my favorite uncle's birthday, and he was born in 1900. He lived to be 94, and wanted so badly to reach 95, but it was not to be.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 8:37:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely photos Naomi....I always love to see your family pictures.

I was talking to a colleague friend of mine yesterday. His daughter also turned 13 this week. In his family, a large Catholic family with lots of brothers and sisters and offspring, they have a tradition....all the cousins who have turned 13 write down their perspective on what it means and what to expect entering adolescence and then it's shared at a big family gathering in honour of the birthday person. He said it was so poignant and loving....like his daughter was being welcomed into a new club. She loved it....

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 1:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Madison is a lovely girl who has been loved all her life. This loving foundation will carry her throughout her life because she will grow into adulthood knowing that no matter what happens, she is valued, treasured, and worthy of love. I wish her wonderful things as she moves into her teenage years. Happy 13th B-day!!!!!

It's nice that you remember your mother and grandmother's birthdays. You honor them by remembering them and writing about them.
I love the photo of you and your mom. You look gorgeous and very happy, and although she was ill, she was very proud of you which makes it a wonderful day to remember.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful pictures! I think you look so much like your mother, the one photo in particular, she is beautiful. I just love old photo's and the stories that make them wonderful!!

Happy Birthday day to all the ladies!

Tomorrow I am hoping to do a blog on my daughter Jodi, she would have been 39 tomorrow. I often wonder who she would be now. Would I have grandbabies, would we still laugh like we use to. So many questions left forever unanswered.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at 2:21:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Maddy is a beautiful girl. I loved the photos and your mother...well that was such a nice post. You always right with so much heart. I think that is why so many of us flock to visit you.

Friday, January 16, 2009 at 7:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Happy Belated Birthday to all of your loved ones Naomi.
I have a Maddie too! She's beautiful and yes 13 is such an important milestone! Best to you dear Maddie Clair!


Oh,but that we could live forever sometimes.... I so miss those who have passed on before me :( but am blessed to have known them!

Friday, January 16, 2009 at 8:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm very late to the party ...

What a gorgeous photo of y0our mother!

My mother's birthday is also Jan 12, she passed away last spring and would have been 93.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 4:17:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.