Sunday, December 14, 2008
a sunset....wow!

The other night, the Sunset was so fantastic, so amazingly incredible.....I just had to record whatever I could....! So, so much for people saying; "You must be bored with your view...!" Yeah, Right! LOL, LOL, LOL....That couldn't be further from the truth.....But, be that as it may....Look at this incredible and amazing Sunset......(Click to enlarge, please.......). What caught my eye was this glow behind my beloved trees.....For any of you who have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I love love LOVE those trees ......So, when I saw that "glow" behind them, it literally took my breath away.....I hurried to get my Camera......And what you see here is what I saw.......! The above is a little bit closer look at that "glow".....Like I said. It took my breath away.......! Then, the sky kept changing moment by moment....it was quite extraordinary......Let's get closer. And here we are, just a little bit closer....Well, it almost looks like the sky is on fire......! And as the Sun continued on it's way down, the sky got more and more fireey. In fact, if I hadn't known that there wasn't a fire, I would have been totally convinced that the Sky truly was on fire!The subtle changes were pretty astounding and it was like watching a light show....Again, it truly looked like the sky or something was on fire...but that is the Pacific Ocean out there and I don't think I've ever heard of an Ocean being on fire, unless there was an Oil spill or something, which there wasn't, I'm happy to say.......As the sun continued on it's way down....the sky of course, got darker and darker......except for the area closest to the Horizon....that seemed to get lighter and lighter as the sun was in it's last Hurrah.......It was all very very beautiful......I am so glad I happened to see that first glow, because something about that glow was different than any sunsets that I have seen over the years....And there have been a lot of them, as you can well imagine. So because of that special glow I just knew that it was going to be a very dramatic Sunset---And it was, indeed! It was in fact, very theatrical, you know? I know there will be always be breath-taking Sunsets up here----but this one.....Well, this one really stood out in this highly dramatic way. It was like I had my own private light-show. How wonderful is that....! My maid was at my house that day and I called to her to come on out on the deck and look at this amazing happening. And we both just stood and watched as this extraordinarily beautiful Sunset unfolded before us.......Watching the minute changes from moment to moment.....We were both utterly and completely enthralled.....

The Art Of Nature.......

And on another note:


And a little note about the passing of Bettie Page......The amazing woman who broke new ground on many levels, died on Friday here in Los Angeles, never waking from a coma after having had a massive heart attack. She was 85 years old. I wrote about having worked with Bettie back in 1953 at The Sea Cliff Summer Theatre, where she was an apprentice. (June 8th, 2007) She had the very youthful wholesome girl-next-door look back then and no one but the Producers knew that she had to take Monday & Tuesday off so she could go to "work" in New York City. This work allowed her to work for nothing at Sea Cliff and enabled her to pay her room and board at the little Hotel, next door to the Theatre....If they had not let her do that, she could not have managed as an apprentice. She was serious about her work as an actress. That girl-next-door look was part of her great appeal, I think...... This is how I remember her looking at Sea Cliff.....Though she never had a bathing suit on like this....she looked fresh and pretty and appealing......And I think this is how most people remember her......
Rest In Peace, dear Bettie.....








More To Come.........







37 Comments:
had this to say:

Those are awesome sunset photos -- I do love the colors we're periodically treated to out here over the ocean.

Am so glad you're on the mend. I appreciated your earlier posts, cartoons and all sharing what you were experiencing. I could so empathize with you since I had something similar that kept me running two nights and a day during a Sept. visit to Las Vegas.

I thought of you recently, too, when Beverly Garland left us. I recall you writing she was a friend. Please accept my sympathy. Treasure memories of her.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 2:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

did you know that Van Johnson passed away also?? I was shocked that there was little to no coverage on his passing.

we are loosing so many.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 3:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That sunset was truly amazing, Naomi, and I appreciate seeing it. If those trees on your horizon ever disappear, it will be a tragedy, since you mark so much by them.

RIP, Bettie.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 3:55:00 AM PST 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

Beautiful sunset Naomi! Hope your holidays are good.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 6:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The sky looks on fire Naomi. Nice capturing!

How 'hot' does bettie look in these photos? My goodness - she was before her time. I actually read about her death on an online newspaper. I am not surprised that you once knew her.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 7:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

the sunset is amazing ... i'm so glad you captured it and shared ...

and yes - the passing of yet another icon ... may she indeed rest in peace ...

blessings on your day ...

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 7:58:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I could NEVER get tired of the view that you have from your deck. There is something about a sunset and a sunrise that is simply breathtaking. You are soooo fortunate to have a front row seat for so many years to be able to witness nature unfolding.

Wonderful photos.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos!! My daughter just moved to LA and is adoring the warm weather and the beach.

I so enjoy your posts ... I have made a first real attempt to Blog and I am here too, only posted one pic but have lots more to do!! I think you will love some of my flower shots! I am listed under Maeves Madness ... and I too am a LI girl!!

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 10:05:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The sunset pictures are beautiful. I think sunset pictures are among some of my favorite pictures to take.

Last week we had an amazing sunset here in Iowa also. I was able to get a few pictures. But, the most beautiful one I was not able to get because we had cars behind us and couldn't put off the road to get the pictures. I was so disappointed. Thanks for sharing your sunset photos. Mine are posted on "Moody Blues"

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 12:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

LOve the sunsets!!! Awesome colours...
Glad you are feeling better..I have been catching up.
RIP Bettie Page

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 3:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Stunning it really does look like the sky is on fire.
I was going to email you yesterday when I read tht Bettie Page had passed on, I just watched the TV movie with Gretchen Moi ( sp?) playing her part a few weeks ago.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 4:00:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I need to be somewhere warm, dear. Winter Storm warnings out tonight. Just so you know, I'm moving in with you and will be bringing the wife and kids.

:)

Betty Page and others of that time exuded a gentile sexiness which relied on a look of the eyes or a curve of the lips. What people don't realize is that sex appeal is in the mind and nowhere else.

Cheers.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 4:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love that sunset Naomi! Tonight I stopped the car by the roadside to get a picture of a lovely sunset. My camera won't get the whole scene though. I need a camera that covers a wide range area in one view. The colors are so beautiful!

So sorry about Bettie Page. She was such a pretty young lady in the photos you posted.

Hope you are doing well Naomi, and Sweetie too!! :)

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 5:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

ahh! betty page, I tried so hard to look like her in my early 20's. she was an icon. beautiful sunset photos.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 10:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really love your sunset pictures. I was going to say, "I almost want to print one out and frame it" but then I remembered. Don't worry, I won't touch your pictures.

After reading this, I put The Nororious Bettie Page for my next Netflix pick.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 1:17:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What a fantastic sunset!! and since I have the feeling our cameras cannot possibly capture the true colors, it must have been almost unreal!!
Lovely set of pictures.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 1:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Very captivating sunset there Naomi and what a joy to see indeed. Thank you for sharing.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 4:06:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh wow, truly stunning. Now I know why you live in those hills Naomi! Every time I drive through LA I marvel at the views from the hills. That sunset must have been an inspiration!

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 4:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those sunset pictures are breathtaking, Naomi! What a gorgeous view! I would like to enjoy those sunset with you!

I am sorry about Bettie Page.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 5:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I thought she was already dead? I'd seen her special and read the notorious book. I am so bad at getting things like that wrong. She is a true icon, and you gotta love those bangs that are still trendy today.

The sky does look like it is on fire!

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 6:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

the sky is, as my daughter would say, sky blue pink!

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I read your title, Naomi, and then looked at the first picture and thought "that's not so great" but once I scrolled down, ahhhh, you're right. That's pretty amazing. And speaking of amazing, Bettie Page was very good to look at. And speaking as a guy, it wasn't just the "girl next door" aspect that held so much appeal. But that's another topic entirely. I'm afraid I don't know anything about her acting--I've just seen some of her modeling pictures.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

That sunset was superb, Naomi. Life is so wonderful, isn't it ?

Bettie Page and Van Johnson were two of the clean cut ones whose appeal was next-door wholesome... Rest in Peace.

I always wonder when Elizabeth Taylor will go... Her story has been fascinating - as well as sad.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful sunset. It began in pastels and grew into more passionate colors. Really lovely. We haven't had many sunsets where I live in these last weeks. The sun just goes down; so I especially appreciate your photo series.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 2:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

i love sunsets i think thats why i moved 2 florida if im not at work im at the beach watching the sunset.

awesome pics thanks 4 sharing!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:37:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Sincere condolences Naomi on losing another dear friend. This happens so often at our stage of life and I like to think they have plenty of friends there already and will be there when we drop the mortal coil.

Ravishing sunsets. Who needs expensive firework displays when nature provides such beauty.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Bettie was beautiful... as are the sunset pics!

do you mean "work" as in the work I THINK you mean! Wow!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:51:00 AM PST 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I think pictures #4 and #5 would make great paintings.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 7:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful pictures Naomi. I never ever grow tired of sunsets or sunrises....both of which I can see from my livingroom. I always feel very blessed when I stand and watch.

The other night, I was driving home with a colleague and the sun was setting over the river as we crossed the bridge. It was breathtaking. All of a sudden, we broke into a conversation about God and miracles and things he and I have never shared our thoughts on with eachother. We also spoke in hushed tones....strange, but it felt quite reverential.... Because of that particularly gorgeous sunset, I now have a new perspective on a colleague....and a nice memory shared with him. This is even more meaningful because this is his last week working with the government. In January, he embarks on a new career....as a police officer. :)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 2:27:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I so much agree and do understand you don't get tired of your view. Besides you have an eye for the beauty of nature and this golden sky was breath taking - thanks for sharing.

Bettie Page was a candy for the eye too - what a great contribution to a great person Naomi! You know I am old enough to remember her and had a secret crush on her when I was you ;-)

Btw: I hope you have time to visit and celebrate a famous Norwegian actor with me!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 3:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great sunset :-)

It's the wrong time of year for it at the moment (gets dark too early) but sometimes when I'm driving back from my mum's & dad's place, I'll enjoy watching the pretty colours of the sunset.

Part of the journey involves travelling East to West on one of the motorways, so I get a great view :-)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 5:13:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gorgeous photos, Naomi.

Enjoyed reading your comments about Bettie Page and getting an idea of the person from a friend's point of view. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

When I heard of Bettie Page's death, I immediately thought of you and what you had written about her.
She was so pretty, and I know you remember her with great fondness.

That sunset is dramatic and lush. The colors are amazing. I'm glad you captured it!

:-)

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 10:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The colours are amazing!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 7:39:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This has been the best year for sunrises and sunsets in LA. You captured how they can look like hot coals when the fireplace dies down.
Blessings

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 9:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! What a beautiful show the sky put on for you. Amazing colours adn your trees silhouetted against the firey sky. Beautiful!

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 12:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love looking at those lonely trees. So pretty.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 8:00:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.