Tuesday, September 16, 2008
bougainvillea - part 1

Looking closely at more of the beauty of nature....My Bougainvillea in the front----the one I have written about before----is exceptionally beautiful right now......It is still blooming and it gives me such a wonderful feeling to just sit out on my front patio...(Near the street....) and look at it. There are so many colors in this particular variety, and I love that you can see the variety of colors in this picture that this particular Bougainvillea produces..... Right now.....some of the flowering parts of this particular plant are on the wane....not every part, mind you, just here and there, on certain portions of this plant......And what happens is, the rich bright color of the leaves begins to fade, which is happening right now, as you can see above, and below, too..... As you can see in the picture above, that particular flower leaf has faded out to almost a 'white' color, and it is curling up as well.....this particular blossom will fall away very soon, if it already hasn't since I took this picture. Below, is the same picture, before I cropped it.... I loved looking through the green of some of the other plants right there and seeing all this pastel beauty.....Faded beauty, if you will, but still very beautiful to me...... But still....as you can see above, there is great vibrancy happening on other parts of these beautiful blooms, too....I love these little flower pods that you can see above, before they open..... The light in this picture above just knocked me out.....And there you can see the little flowers are open....How delicate they are! I LOVE the light in this picture above, too....it was the way the sun was hitting this section at the time of day I was taking these pictures. Some blooms were in the shadows because of it....Look at the variation of color here, too....Stunning, isn't it? A closer look at one of those two flowers from the picture above this one.....I fell in love with this particular Bougainvillea back in 1974 when I saw it on 'The Big Island'....I was living there in the Kona-Kailua area for 14 weeks and got to see this plant and many other Bougainvilleas many times a day.I had never seen so very many variety's and such variations of color. A lot of the Bougainvillea had grown up into some of the trees along the roads there, so it was cascading down in abundance and it was breath-taking.....I determined right then and there at that time, to have some of this particular Bougainvillea somewhere in my garden eventually. It took a while. But once I began to get so involved with Cactus and Succulents....this plant seemed like the perfect compliment to them.And in fact, it is the perfect compliment to all the Cactus and Succulent plants.....It brings this shock of color wherever I have it planted---- these multi pastel colors, wherever it is growing in my garden---and it really sets off the Cactus and Succulents in a wonderful wonderful way...... You see how the 'greens' are greener and the flowers are pinker and more orange and lavender? All the plants are prettier. They all stand out more...At least they seem to, to me. So, what I had envisioned back in 1974, in fact, is even more beautiful than I had imagined, in every way......

There will be.......

More To Come..........














26 Comments:
had this to say:

Stunning! Such beauties those bougainvilleas are, I so agree with you... I love the colours and your shots are gorgeous...

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 3:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Years ago, I spent a few days at a kibbutz in northern Israel which was overflowing with bougainvillea. Since then, they've always been some of my favorite flowering plants.

Cheers.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 6:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These are all lovely shots, the 5th one is my favorite. I plain love bougainvilleas and that's why I even learned how to spell this right!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 8:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, when we went to Kailua-Kona back in 1984, the bougainvillea was as tall as the houses along the main Highway. I fell in love too, and for years, I always had at least 2 plants of it hanging on my deck. We saw it like that in Barbados also. I wish I had thought to get some good photos of it back then. Yours are really gorgeous!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 8:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

so beautiful! the leaves are starting to change here in NE Ohio. It's lovely to see a tropical plant.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 12:09:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello Naomi,

Your bougainvilleas are beautiful!

I came here after reading Annie's post about your helping her concerning addictions. When I read her post I so struggled to say what was in my heart. :O I am so happy that you touched her heart.

Annie is a good soul, and I see that you are too. I feel a good energy here. Loved your picture..you look like a "spirited" woman, and that's a good thing in my book. hee, hee

Good energies to you!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 1:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The faraway shots at the end make you appreciate the close ups, especially after you click to enlarge. I love the way the flowers curl and all the different colors on one petal. They're just gorgeous!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 2:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, these are the most beautiful bougainvillea pictures I've ever seen! We had to take ours out because they cracked off at the level of the soil with high winds! I was worried about stepping on thorns when my kids were little too...
Stunning plants with your succulents as well...WOW!!!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 5:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You captured their papery delicacy perfectly, Naomi ! My Dad has them growing all alongside the front wall of their property. It is so pretty - until a windy day blows them off ! And the thorns make good burglar deterrents.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 8:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the way you captured those shots. We do have bougainvillea here in Singapore I think the colours reflected here is more intense and nice :D

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 11:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've always thought bougainvillea's colors just awsome. It's strange that it grows so well along side of succulents and such..

beautiful shots and beautiful colors Naomi!!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 3:13:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Sky
had this to say:

these photographs are magnificent! i would love to have something so exquisite in my gardens. :)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 3:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos. I love them. I had two up here that I brought in during the winters but lost them last year to freezes in the greenhouse. In Tucson they will freeze down every so often but generally come back; so I was disappointed in losing these here but might not take the risk again. Moving them around is not for the back that is getting old.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 9:46:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These are absolutely stunning! And what foresight you had to plant and design them the way you did.
I was amazed at how you captured the light and shadows in the photos. Those pods and the tiny flowers were gorgeous. Thanks for sharing all of this. I still say Better Homes & Gardens needs to pay you a visit for a feature article on your garden.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 3:05:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Beautiful shots as always. My fav is the last shot. I also like looking through the leaves at the flowers. It makes me feel like I'm lying in the grass looking at the flowers. :-)

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are all so pretty. I love bougainvilleas and wish they would live here year round outdoors. I can't wait to see what my garden will hold for me years down the road...I plant, plant, plant. NOT that I want to rush time certainly! But it is good to see things like your project turn out so beautifully.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 5:41:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I don't think I have ever seen these in this wide range of colors on one plant before... absolutely stunning!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Yours are a world away from the vivid purple stuff one used to see on the continent. They are so delicate and feminine and I love the tissue-like petals with the tiny thread like veins. We have had so many grey days lately - it's uplifting to see y0ur colours.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 1:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your sense for the beauty of the details.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 2:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What always fascinates me is how the petals on the flower is so think and paper-like. It is all so tiny and delicate, but often overlooked because the entire plant is covered with thousands of these pretty "flowers". Nice job with this post Naomi.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've seen those with my own eyes!!
I can confirm what you say about how those colors really stand out and compliment your cacti and succulents. Their vivid color cannot be missed.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 2:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I never tire of seeing your lovely flowers Naomi! I love that little white bloom. It's so delicate looking! The colors are so pretty! Here you can have the bougainvilleas but you have to bring them inside over the winter. I have no room for more plants inside, so I do so enjoy seeing yours!!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 5:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely colours.

I had to take my plants in this week ... the nights are too cold.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 8:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, Naomi, it's been a difficult week, but when I look at your beautiful pictures, I always feel better. Your flowers are so lovely, and so are you.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 11:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi...these are so lovely. Such feminity, exotic and with a dash of erotic. the colour and light and shade are beguiling.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 4:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous! The pinks and oranges of the bourainvillea certainly enhance the green around it! I love how the colours compliment each other and the bourgainvillea looks so delicate and paperlike against the spiky cacti. I love contrasts like this!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.