Monday, November 12, 2007
beauty on the hill

This is a Kalenchoe....It feels like cloth. Yes, like 'Felt', actually....Nature gives so much sometimes....as Blanche Dubois says in "A Streetcar Named Desire"....'Sometimes there's God, so quickly.....' Indeed, Indeed. Everywhere I look in my garden, there is God....or something like that. The miracle of life is there, before my eyes, in all it's glory. The picture above is the view of 'the red tree'...my name for this Euphorbia Continafolia----red tree is easier for most people....And it is a 'volunteer'.....a seed that hit the ground and just grew into this small (at least at the moment) plant, all on it's own...I love the look of those soft beautiful leaves between the arms of an Agave, another blue Agave behind it..... Here are a couple if more volunteer 'Red Trees'....they are all over my garden....And as I have said before, I think this is one of the most beautiful tree's in nature....It looks like a Japanese Maple to some people, but it is not. Upon a closer look, you can see that the color of the leaves is very unusual, unique, in fact.... As you can see from the picture above, it can and does grow into a very good size tree....I have a few that are 30 feet or more tall, and they each came from one small skinny little cutting off of the mother plant, or a seed that blew to the ground and just took hold.... I love the way the roots of this tree grow and spread out....there is great beauty in that to me, too.....These are the roots of one of the larger trees down below my house..... This little nut-like person is smaller than a dime and grows on a plant that is related to the Ficus family....this plant was less that four inches high when I planted it, oh so many years ago....I had no idea it would grow to be a pretty large tree....There is something quite magical looking about this nut-like seed pod..... This picture above is a close up, taken from above and looking down right at the heart of a Yucca Rostratta....A very Beautiful plant which comes from Texas....I have some in front of my house as well as down below, too....They are very slow growing, but well worth the wait....More 'living sculpture' to warm the heart and soul. And there is the lovely tall Rostratta from a different angle---now looking up at it from down below....This next picture shows the three Rostratta's that are out in the front of my home..... Such elegant plants...especially with their special 'hair cuts'....lol...But they do look striking with the bottom dead leaves cut away....And above, another view of these strikingly beautiful plants....And just for good measure, here below is a side view of the 'head' of a baby that is now, after about 13 years of growth, about 2 1/2 feet high....I told you they are slow growing.....lol. All I know is that all the plants in my garden give me such pleasure. I find them utterly thrilling in their uniqueness and their sculptural quality soothes my soul....Here below, a dash of color...a close look at some very very small red flowers that appear each year on a very beautiful succulant.....


More To Come.....







21 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi,
your garden brings you so much pleasure. The joy you find in it, the beauty you surround yourself with in the various plants and trees and flowers, all mirror how giving you are yourself...
Hugs to a truly lovely soul -
Loving Annie

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 11:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I too am glad that you are so in love with your garden and the creatures that visit... I think our deeper appreciation of things like this only come with out age... it's sad to think what so many young people are missing, and what we missed when we were so young and too busy to notice what was right in front of us.

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 11:32:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, I love the little red flowers, and the red trees. I remember seeing the red trees! I love the color in your garden. :) Great photos as usual.
~S :)

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 2:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Another wonderful glimpse into Naomi's garden. Thank you, Naomi!

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 6:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos Naomi!! I like that little nut person. It does almost look like it has eyes! I love the roots all on top of the ground too. Nature is amazing!!

Your house just sort of sticks out into space, at least the deck part! Your garden is lovely and you are so appreciative of it. Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 7:06:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am like the others who are so happy that you get so much enjoyment out of your garden. And your pictures are always enjoyable and I feel I learn about many new plants and things.

I was just showing Toonces your balcony view from the garden!

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 7:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. Some of your plants are amazing. Your garden around your house must keep you fit with all those stairs!!

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 8:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

*blissful sigh*

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 12:23:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Very beautiful pictures of that beauty in your very own garden!! mine suffered a bit from a tree trimming...not a nice sight, let me tell you.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 2:14:00 AM PST 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That top plant with the texture - the photo is so accurate you can almost feel it. Who needs an art collection when you have that to look at. And it appears easy maintenance although I know you have a gardener. The whole garden does you great credit and to us it is so unusual. Thank you.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 6:40:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You have one of the most beautiful and unusual gardens I've ever seen! Somebody needs to alert a writer/photographer for Home and Garden to pay a visit to your place! Thanks for sharing these extraordinary photos.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 7:15:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good Morn, and thank you again for sharing your garden. Here in NYS, we are now going thru our bleak time of year. Leaves have fallen, and a few winter mums are still in blossom. But we are now shut down for winter, with the exception of the ever greens, pines and blue spruce, that are around us. That do in fact hold the promise of spring. And I noticed the sun is shinning at your house, it does get pretty glummy this time of year here. Have a great day.:) pat

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 7:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I think I can feel the kalenchoe through my screen, Naomi. You capture flora in ways I can only begin to imagine.

Thank you for your comment this weekend. I've been somewhat quiet lately, largely due to the combined pressures of work (lots of it), the bar mitzvah (now over, whew) and Zach's leg (still spending lots of time in hospitals, running around and being generally inconvenienced.)

It's all combined to leave me very little time to blog. Even my own blog is a little forlorn these days, as my posting rate is down and I've eaten into my materials reserve as well.

Not where I'd like to be, but life sometimes gets in the way. Thanks for your understanding. I hope to re-engage a little more in the days to come.

Did you figure out the problem you were having with comments this weekend?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 7:56:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your garden is beautiful! I am so jealous! I live in a desert - no green to be seen! LOL!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 9:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You know how much I love your garden from my previous comments. Cacti and succulents have such wonderful structure and form, and not to mention their flowers! Your garden should be on a tour or something as I am pretty sure your garden could rival some botanical collections. Your pictures are wonderful and I love the folds and shapes in the first pic especially.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 10:05:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Ahhh, thank you for those few moments of color, texture, nature and bliss. Love the Yucca!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, your garden is always a great surprise. Love the Rostratta,
"with their special 'hair cuts'", as you said. I like seeing your balcony, too! Wish I was there with you!!!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 5:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Yes, would be great be there with you, looking to the wonderful Los Angeles's view and chatting!!! Really a marvelous dream!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 5:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I got all excited thinking I knew the name of one of the trees then you said it WASN'T a Japanese maple lol.
I just read all your lastest in one hit, happy 4ooth post.
I need to send you a picture of my car license plates ( my NEW car go me) they are not personalised but they might as well be lol.
I just did a teeny post on my blog finallyl !

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 7:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So much beauty in this post.
I remember standing in front of your house with you and Jason as we posed by those trees.
The photo of those gnarly roots is great!! Amongst all the other lovely photos in this post, I think I like the roots one the best. Probably because it stands out and is very unique in comparison to the others.
Maybe I'm just attracted to gnarly things today.
:-)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 8:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

More freaky plants! Cool!

The Yucca Rostratta is jumping out at me!!!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 5:46:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.