Monday, July 09, 2007
emmyness

Having finished watching ALL the DVD's I committed to watch....(there were four panels all together).....I am honor bound not to reveal the names of the people I was voting on, but what I can say is, this is a new step in the Emmy process which they hope will be a 'fairer' way of calculating who the final five nominees will be in all of the categories.This is the 2nd tier of voting, so to speak...going from in some cases 120 or more nominees, to ten.....And, if other people take it as seriously as I do, they are hoping that the final five in each of the many categories....(I am only talking about performers now) will reflect that careful viewing and voting. Time will tell. Meanwhile I can tell you that I watched forty different DVD's, covering 20 shows. Why? Because in some categories there was more than one person on these nominated lists....if that makes sense. In one case, there were 6 people nominated from one show in the four different categories, in this 2nd tier. Here's the thing. If people really watch what they have committed to watch, you really do see the cream rise to the top. What I mean is....there are performances that stand out way and above others, sometimes. Then again, sometimes not. And sometimes, out of the ten DVD's in each category that I voted on...there will be six or seven people who give magnificent performances....The thing that the Academy is trying to avoid in all this viewing is that this won't just be another 'popularity' contest. I don't know if this will succeed.What I do know is, I did not vote that way myself. I really tried to vote my integrity as an actress and my years of experience...yes, it is still my opinion...but, my commitment was to watch everything carefully and then vote accordingly, of course it is still my opinion....but I hope it comes from a real place. We all have to sign a paper for each panel that you vote on that you have watched all the DVD's sent to you. I had no problem signing that paper.It is going to be very interesting to me to see what happens, particularly in three of the four of the categories I voted on....I think July 19th is the date they announce the 5 nominees in each of the categories who will be competing with each other for the actual Emmy....I hope that this new step in the voting process will have the results that The Academy hopes it will----a fairer way to get to the final five nominees.Like I said, we shall see.

Update: geewits, sent me this picture and I want to share it with you. This is soooo much like my stove, I think it must have been made by the very same company....If memory serves...this stove below was from the 1880's, and I think mine must be in that time period, too.....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, dear geewits! It's not exactly the same, of course...different enameling and flowers, and this one is quite a bit bigger than mine, (Mine only has two places for cooking) but the hardware, the knobs, etc., are very much the same as is the top and even the side metal and feet.....It is really wonderful to have at least a guideline to the possible manufacturer and year that my stove may have been made in, too! I thank you all for your hard work in trying to track down the origins of this sweet dear stove of mine.....! It was quite amazing to me how many of you went on the prowl for information about this....And I dearly dearly appreciate it, more than I can say.....
More To Come.....







29 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

good. i just hope the new scheme of voting who really is right for the Emmy award went well and fair.

Have a nice day. Eat well and right and on time. :D

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 2:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I commend you on your diligence -- completing all those DVDs had to be a chore! Some years, it does seem that voting is on who the buzz is about rather than the individual performances. I'd certainly like to see the trend continue to change. I think there's always a sentimental vote though...

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 3:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I can only hope that all that watched those DVD's will be as motivated and fair as you were.
Lots of work, but I have a feeling you also enjoyed it.

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 5:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

I'm so glad there are people out there like you with professional integrity. I can't waiting to find out the final 5.

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 6:07:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gorgeous stove! I hopped over here from seeing your comment on my blog friend ArtzyJudie's blog about the stove.

It's exciting to read again that you are part of the emmy process and to hear of the new step. You sound fair in all of your posts. That's a lot of DVDs to watch and a lot of hard work to evaluate them!

I'm on a collage spree but I'll take a break when the Emmies come on.Hope you're doing well.

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 6:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow - look at those wonderful memories..... :-)

That stove looks like an Aga, they are huge over here, especially in old cottages etc. They can be solid fuel or oil-fuelled. We used to have one at the farmhouse that we used to slow cook soups and make casseroles and stuff.
I looked down to see your own one. I've not seen one with lacquering like that - must be a US thing :-)

cq

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 6:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I doubt that everyone who participates gives it as much attention as you do! If you got to watch Carol Burnett, I am jealous! I really miss her shows, and I wish they be brought out on DVD's to rent.

That stove is so nice, like yours!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 8:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am very impressed with your integrity and commitment to voting as it should be done. If I was an actress (TV/movies/stage) I would hope that any accolades given to me would be based on my performance(s) only(and not my popularity or lack thereof). Unfortunately in the real world it has seemed to me that popularity was the criteria vs. the caliber of the acting itself. Hopefully with this new form of voting that will change. I suppose if others take it as seriously as you did, it will.
I LOVE Lucy - seeing this image made me smile as a huge I Love Lucy fan. OH and Carol Burnett as well.
I think I was an actress in another life. lol!
Hope you're having a great day! oh and glad you got such great info re: the stove.

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 12:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Are you watching those old shows only? I recognise one pic...Perry Mason? I used to read those detective pop novels!

Glad you received a response on your stove and thank you for sharing that with us. (Nice to be in the blogging world.) Wonder how many still have that stove? Nice!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 1:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I would not have expected any less from you - because I can tell that is the type person you are. And, I just hope the rest of the folks that had the same thing to do will treat it as you did.

BTW, the picture of the other stove is really cool too...isn't it fun to know more about something that you own???

Have a great day!!!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 2:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey this is very interesting for me and yes, hope it all goes well.

You are so patient :D

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 5:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The oldies are best. I loved I Love Lucy, Carol Burnett and Dick Van Dyke! I watched My Three Sons, Leave It To Beaver, Ozzie and Harriet, Father Knows Best, Rawhide, Bonanza...We were weaned on the best!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 6:41:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Bob
had this to say:

I hope one of your votes was for 24 - Keifer Sutherland rocks. He'd make a wonderful President of the United States. No guff. No muss. Just action.

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 6:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am happy that I don't have to vote ! It's always very difficult if you wish to do it well. The stove is just beautiful and such a nice decoration, I suppose you don't cook on it, lol ! My grandma had one of these but without flower designs just a simple one and I remember her putting wood in it and wait until it heated up.
Thank you very much for your birthday wishes, I really had a nice day. My son came over from Amsterdam and even the rain went away for one day and the sun was shining !

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 8:58:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

It seems you put your heart and soul in every thing you do...the pcs brought back wonderful memories. Have a happy day, dear!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 11:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I take heart from the fact that at least one (and I am sure there are more) person in the process votes with integrity :) It is so important that the people who get the awards do so because they deserve it, not because they are popular. It is just so disheartening when the system is abused for the other nominees and the people who vote fairly!

40 DVDs sounds like quite the viewing marathon I am sure you are quite worn out from it all!

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 11:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad you liked the picture. I enjoy internet sleuthing.

I'm glad you are one of the Emmy judges (or whatever the correct word is). I doubt, though, that all of the other people are on the same level as you. I'm looking forward to seeing the nominees this year and wondering which ones were your picks.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 12:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Glad to hear that you vote with such integrity. Will look forward to reading more about the outcome and effectiveness of the changes they made. Enjoyed the pictures of some of the better shows and performers on TV.

Reminded me of years ago when the Emmy process first started. I exercised the same approach as you when I voted for our local Emmy awards. Rod Serling came to our city to promote our serious participation in these awards and to lend them credibiity. "Twilight Zone" was so popular then, and was, still is, one of my very favorites.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the voting sounds confusing but interesting.

that stove is fabulous! michele sent me to say hi!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi: I would totally trust your judgement - they are lucky to have someone as experienced and honest as you. You must feel tired - you should sit on your deck and rest your eyes.
I love the stove. It's like a very pretty forerunner of today's Aga stove.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 11:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Watching DVDs and voting for Emmy noms sounds so incredibly wonderful! How fascinating and lovely. I envy you.

That stove is beautiful, too.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 11:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I admire that you take the voting so seriously. Truly a privilege, and I'm in agreement that it needs to be less about popularity, and more about performance.

~S

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 12:39:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What wonderful film summery - thanks for sharing - must have been quite a bit of work to make this!

Btw: The stove! My grandmother had one of those. I so much remember how nice and warm her kitchen was and how great the bread baked in that own was tasting!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 2:47:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You must be on overdrive with all those videos to get through and then determine your choices in each category. It must be a challenging effort to make your selections, but.... using your always honest approach to everything, I'm certain it was made easy by virtue of a heart and head that knows so well the fairness it deserves. I loved the great old series depicted in the photos you used.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's got to be fun but a lot of work watching all the dvds. It must be cool, though, knowing you are contributing :)

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 5:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Much as I love movies and television, Naomi, I think viewing 40 DVDs would kill me. I'm glad you have the stamina to do it--I sure wouldn't.

I was bemused to see the picture from Brian's Song up there. I remember seeing that as a kid and crying my eyes out. Tragic. I watched the DVD 2 years ago and still thought it was tragic but now it was on account of the wooden acting. *ouch* I couldn't get emotionally involved with the story 'cause I didn't buy into any of the performances. I sure did when I saw it back in the early 70s though.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 at 6:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I really must admit that I don't know didly squat about how nominees are determined, but anything that makes the process more fair is a good thing.
I think it is good to get away from the popularity contest way of determining nominees, and do what they can to see that the best performers are put forth for their excellent work. I hope this new way pans out.
It doesn't look like that stove has the signature Dinsing on it like yours. I wonder if it was made by the same company?? It sure is a cute stove too.
You don't see unique treasures like that often.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 at 1:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again you thrill me into the wonderful world of yours.
But, after 40 DVD's, well my eyes would need rest for 40 hours.

Impressing work you have done.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 at 4:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i still love that stove! :)

michele sent me over today!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 at 8:51:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.