Thursday, January 05, 2006

THURSDAY THIRTEEN


1.- So, there was this horrific Wind/Tornado-Like-Hurrican-Like Rain-Thing that happened on Monday Morning, here in Los Angeles....

2.- I've lived up Here In The Hills for a loooooonngg time and NEVER NEVER NEVER experienced anything like this v-e-r-y, V-E-R-Y SCARY thing that took place, on Monday Morning...

3.- This Euphorbia Amak Verigated, which is probably 50+ feet tall, and weighs a ton...literally...A TON...was knocked over onto the roof of my patio, (Thank God it was the Patio Roof...)

4.- It is now Wednesday, and it is still sitting there, where it landed. on Monday Morning...


5.- My gardener, Seven...came over to look at it on Monday afternoon while it was still raining...and wisely decided that it was too slippery up there on the roof to do anything about 'righting' it...(besides not having any help to do anything even if it wasn't still raining and dangerously slippery)...and proceeded to put a rope around it, tying it down so that it would not be knocked down further, or do more horrible damage to it, or to my house by the then still continuing winds...

6.- Needless to say I was wrecked about this, because this plant is so very very dear to my heart....Ironically, I have been preparing some posts about my garden, the second post was going to feature this plant...in all it's unbelievabe glory...along with photo's of it when it was first planted, almost 20 years ago...at less than 2 feet tall....(LESS THAN 2 FEET, PEOPLE...NOW, 50+ FEET.....help meeeee!)

7.- I will still put these posts up eventually, but the further irony of it all, is...I'm not sure we can save this Amak Verigated at it's present height...and, as of now, around 12 + arms have been knocked off by the 'fall' and more could come off when they try to 'right' it, cause, as strong and sturdy as this guy is, he is also delicate, too....the amazing dichotomy of these Euphorbia's....

8.- So....On Tuesday, late afternoon, Seven came and 5 young strapping boys/men met him up here not really knowing what they were expected to do...He, Seven, had a plan, but...his plan did not work. He put a piece of hose around the plant and these 5 kids got up there on the roof and tried to pull it up-right....

9.- It wouldn't budge! Not an inch! Nada.
Nothing. They could not move it--no way, nowhow, anyway that they tried....and they did try, (though a couple of them expressed great fear of heights...perfect candidates for this roof job, wouldn't you say???)


10.- So...they took down the 12+ arms that had broken off...now sitting on my patio...(one of them probably weighing 60 or 70 pounds...)....

11.- Seven re-tied the Amak the way he had it on Monday afternoon, and said he would come back on Wednesday after getting a "pully" arrangement to try to get the plant righted that way...

12.- He called me about 3:08pm on Wednesday and said he wan't able to pick up the pully, but would get it first thing Thursday morning and after going to his other clients, (he works for me all day on Saturdays with three of his sons...one of them, Fernando, had brought these 4 friends on Tuesday) and besides the fear of heights problem, we also had the 'they know nothing about Cactus Plants'--problem....One of these young assholes said, "Well, why don't you just cut it down...?"

13.- Yeah! Sure! And why don't you just cut your arm off, Naomi? Or cut your heart out?? I mean, that's what this is like for me....this plant is like my child...I have been watching over it and loving it for almost twenty years...so this beautiful magnificent plant is a part of my heart...
I realize this young man doesn't have a clue...and I probably wouldn't have at his age either..but, I did tell Seven on the phone on Wednesday afternoon, that he really needs to find some guys who know what they are doing and will "care"....and treat this plant with all the respect it needs and deserves...the 'Perils Of Pauline Saga' continues....It is my fervent wish to try to save the integrity of this magnificent creature...well, I should say, what's left of this magnificent creature, with so many of it's arms already lying on the patio floor, and the very real possibility of more arms coming off with the further attempt to right it later today...(I hope)...
All I can say is OY!....

Stay tuned.....







(I KNOW THIS IS A LOUSY STINKING PHOTOGRAPH....BUT IT'S 3 O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING....WHAT DO YOU EXPECT???....)







27 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh no! I do hope it can be saved! What a majestic looking plant!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 5:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow - I gave my high school sweetheart's mother a cactus about 20 years ago and I recently found out she still has it and it's apparently pretty monstrous!

I'm here from Michelle's.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 7:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Poor prickly :(

I love reading about all the exoctic (to me) plants that you guys get to have in your gardens. I do hope he can be saved.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 7:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, sorry to hear about your baby!! I hope they are able to get it fixed back again. But it's sad seeing all those arms sitting there that have come off.

My fingers are crossed that it will survive and thrive again!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 8:16:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The storm must have been terrifying for you. I'm so sorry about your cactus and hope it can be saved.

My Thursday Thirteen is up, too.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 8:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It will be toooo bad if they cannot save it, Naomi. I am so sorry it fell. Good luck!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 10:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Poor tree! I know what you mean. We live in a newer neighborhood and there are hardly any trees or they're all tiny. I carefully picked out a dwarf apricot for the front by my sidewalk. It has pretty leaves in the fall and it won't get so big that it will fall on the house one day, (I hope!)

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 11:25:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh no your poor plant. I hope it is able to over come the trauma and will continue to florish.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 12:45:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Awwww....I sure hope they can save most of the cactus even if he has to lose a few more arms. We have a ton of cactus ourselves living out here in the desert as we do. They were our babies before we got our dogs. And I know and totally understand you want to save as much of him as you can, but at least with cactus you can take the parts and replant them and they will grow as well so that you'll at least always have his "children". I really hope they can save him though. :(

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 12:59:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh No. I really hope you find a way to salvage and save some of it! I know they are quite resiliant plants so lets hope this one is a very resiliant one!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 1:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh my gosh Naomi, that thing is bigger than gigantic! I sure hope they're able to save this beautiful plant. My thoughts & prayers are with you, friend.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 1:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, I'm so sorry! That is such a majestic tree and I hate seeing it leaning like that. I hope it can be saved!!

Can the arms be used to plant new trees? I hope so!!

Keep us posted on the progress!

My 13 is up.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 2:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

[sends strong healing vibes through Seven]

:-)

cq

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 2:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I hope your plant can be saved!! Can you use any of the broken "arms" to make new plants? Sorry - I don't know a thing about plants. He is so big and gorgeous... Good luck and keep us posted.
LadyBug Crossing

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 5:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Your poor poor cactus. I really can relate...we suffered thru Hurricane Charley here summer before last....it knocked down one of the lil' trees that was planted when we bought our house...it broke my heart. I can't imagine after 20 years. :(

Thanks for visiting me today, and steering me towards your Thursday 13.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 6:04:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, your poor dear Amak V.! Ugh! And 20+ years old! That is awful...I feel a bit like that. I left several of my plants outside the beginning of the first frost. They looked beautiful and perky from my window but when I brought them in I realized they were frozen solid! They dropped like seaweed, poor guys. I killed four plants! Fortunately, one, the philodendron, I did a snipping of and started a new rooting over summer...it's actually the same one my mom had as a young woman. So, I'm glad I have that at least. It's hard when loved plants get hurt. I hope it can be at least trimmed and rebound in glory!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 6:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Just thought of something maybe the LA Arboretum could give some advice? Might be worth a shot...

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 6:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm back Naomi, just to tell you that you have been tagged on my site!! Sorry dear but it's a funny one and I thought you would enjoy it!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 8:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That thing looks like a Monster in a Horror movie.
Attack of the HUGE Cactus!!

Your gardener's name is Seven? I remember that name from a Seinfeld episode. Did he happen to marry someone named Eleven?

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 8:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Back again Michele sent me this time :)

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 8:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Wow. That is amazing!!! Thank you for posting the visuals.

My TT is up too! :)

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 10:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

holy crap... i am very pleased that it didnt crash into the house, doing more damage, or hurting you.

i hope they can save it.

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 10:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

sorry to hear about the cactus. Yep, my wife and I live in Hollywood too. We are on Sycamore Ave. between Franklin and Hollywood Blvd.

cheers,

Shane

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 11:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

greetings from michele.
since i have come back so quickly i will go off the topic of your post and say you are indeed correct... i get together with Zac's mommy to discuss your blog, there are a few blogs that her and i both read, and of course we love to talk about you. my mom visits you, although she doesnt always leave comments (faira is my mom) my husband reads over my shoulder and guesses at the liar liar and basically makes a pest of himself (primarily because he guessed right and i wouldnt listen)! ocassionally on something of particular interest i will share your blog with my husbands sister (who lives next door). she liked the party idea and how you all did white elephant presents. she is always looking for something different to do.

so basically we all love visiting you here. you have lived such an interesting life, and have some truly wonderful things to share with us. I am so glad i found you!

Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 11:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That this is HUGE! I'm so sorry about the scary weather. Wow--how unexpected for that region.

My 13 are up :)

Friday, January 6, 2006 at 2:50:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Nature has an amazing way of defying destruction. I suspect the saved remnants will regrow wherever they are replanted.

I'm just back from a Wilma-ravaged section of Florida. The beautiful canopy that defined the area is gone. I am incredibly saddened, but already heartened that signs of life are already returning, and the lush green will be back someday soon.

Saturday, January 7, 2006 at 3:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

oh my, naomi! what great cacti you have! *wink*wink*

Sunday, January 8, 2006 at 9:59:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.