Saturday, July 05, 2008
we celebrated - part 2

So.....there we were...eating our very delicious Eggs Benedict....I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this lovely yummy special lunch....As, it turns out, everyone else enjoyed this spectacular dish as much as I did, which made me very happy! And everyone admired the fact that Will was able to pull this off, with NINE People....That is eighteen eggs with the trimmings, all arriving exactly the way they should be served----at the same time...A Miracle Lunch, indeed......! Oh, My Lordy, they were soooo very very delicious! Yum. Yum, Yum! And there was this lovely little salad of Pears and Blue Cheese/Roquefort with Candied Pecans and Baby Butter Lettuce.....Ohhhh My,.....my mouth is watering, just writing about this delicious magnificent lunch! And, see those little clear plastic bags sitting in front of each plate? Yes.....some more M&M Personalized candy's..... These dear little candy's were a Big Hit, too! I love that you can get these 'personalized' M&M's now.....It just brings another very personal touch to the Birthday....And speaking of that....I also found these wonderful little 'personalized' H*rshey B*rs......(I found all of this on The Internet, btw...) These are really cute! And each Gift bag had a bunch of these in the bag....Along with some other little goodies.....like in the picture, below....Oh, and by the way...Dear Lee Meriwether had come by to visit me on Thursday...(the day before my Birthday...) And brought me two lovely scarves....And I had a little Gift Bag for her, too....She was getting on a plane the very next day...... Here above, is a very cute Yo Yo...just a little fun thing to play with when you have nothing else to do.....! And then there was...... This little Pen above! Easy to carry or hang around your neck, along with some little Pads that I thought were as cute and pretty as they can be---in the shape of a 'pencil'....... Also, both the pen and pads are easy to carry in your purse......There were a few other things to.....like this little baby deck of cards....another purse-carrier, especially good on a trip----Solitaire on the plane, anyone? These really are tiny....just two inches long....I'm not big on 'smiley faces', but I must say, these are kind of cheery----better than a sad face, isn't it? And Lee was thrilled with this little deck....She said Leslie, (one of her Beautiful daughters...) was traveling with her and they would now be able to 'play' on the plane. Then, there was this little bottle of Birthday Bubble Blow that you could wear around your neck that had a pretty little paper Butterfly attached to it.....And it really works well, too.....You know how some of these things don't always work? Well, this one did, and like gang-busters, too......!
And then, one last little thing in that gift bag was in Honor of July 4th....a Flag Pin. This too, lights up and flashes a bit....I didn't open mine, but I will on July 4th and I will wear it proudly!

So that was everything that was in the little Gift Bags.....And before we sat down for lunch, we had some appetizers that were quite delicious! This was before Annie and Seemah got here, and Dianne was sitting on the other side of the room....And, I of course, was behind the camera..... There were some Cruditees with a delicious Spinach Dip, and some Hummus and Crackers---absolutely yummy, and a wonderful Curried Chicken Pate---my favorite---with interesting crackers, too.....
Meanwhile, Betty and Dianne were in deep conversation over on the other side of the living room....I LOVE catching people just talking to each other as apposed to posed pictures....Like this cute picture of Bridget and Kim....they were so happy to see each other---Kim having just returned to Los Angeles after being in New York for almost 7 months.....

So after our delightful Lunch, and the opening of the Gift Bags, the contents of which you have already seen, it was time for the Birthday Cake...... And by the time Dianne took the Camera, etc....the Candles were almost down to the icing....lol...But, I blew them out just in time..... And everyone was anxious to get a piece of this deep dark delicious dense decadent chocolate cake.....It was yum yum yummmy!!!
And the way "Sweet Lady Jane" decorates these cakes is so wonderfully colorful. Really really pretty and unusual, too.....They always look like an abstract painting on the outside...... This is one of the richest cakes I've ever tasted.....So rich that you cannot really eat too much of it..... Though some people did clean their plates....Me, for instance, and Seemah and Kim, too.....lol....

Okay. Then we had the opening of the Birthday presents. There are no pictures of me actually opening the gifts....it just didn't happen. I can't take those pictures and honestly none of us gave it a thought....But, I did take some pictures of everything later.....And here they are.

When dear Lee came by the day before here is what she brought me..... These two very colorful delicate scarves....Lovely and very lightweight. Perfect! I must show you what Joyce brought me.....well, there were two things, one was this terrific book. This is written by Bill Bertoni, (with a forward by Bernadette Peters), who rescues dogs and gives them lots of love and a good home and then trains them to "work" on stage....that is why it is called "BROADWAY TAILS". He trained all the 'Sandy's' for all the productions of "ANNIE", among many other animals....He takes care if Joyce's dog when she has to travel for work and when she knows 'Phoebe' will be alone all day and night because of rehearsals and performances....She has nothing but great things to say about this man. And she packed the book in this, below..... This is one of the most Beautiful Hat Boxes I've ever seen....I'm not sure what I will do with it, but it sure is pretty....! Then there was Bridget's gifts to me...... This was a very pretty frame.....Plus, she also gave me two large scrap books for more of my pictures....They are really lovely, too.....And I got some wonderful Socks and a fabulous hand made soap from Dianne.....The soap is in that pretty bag..... The Soap has the most exotic lovely scent....none of us could figure out exactly what it was, but it sure smells great! Then, there was this Darling cap from Jacquie.....This is a hand-made-one-of-a-kind very very comfortable cap....She said it was for me to wear when I am outside photographing my Hawk Babies....Very thoughtful. It is great protection from the sun! Then, Betty gave me some very unusual and adorable pop-up note cards......There were two boxes of them. One of Butterfly's and one of Cats....Two things Betty knows I am crazy about. And I've never seen anything like these cards before. They are so pretty and clever!...And then, last but not least, Annie & Seemah gave me this: (Click to make bigger, please....) And Page 2 is below.... Orsos is a favorite restaurant of mine and theirs, as well...I use to go there quite often for lunch and for dinner, too....it is kind of a 'theatrical' restaurant and there is one in New York, too. And since I am unable to do that anymore, this is a truly wonderful gift for me. There are certain dishes that I just love from Orsos, like, Vegetable Risotto...yum....So sometime in August we will have this fun lunch right here!


All the ladies hung out here for the rest of the afternoon----till almost 7pm----sharing talk about all sorts of things, including the SAG Negotiations, a Hot Topic if there ever was one......There is always so much to share.....it makes every time we all get together very special, to say the least. I was talking to Betty today, (July 4th) and she spoke about how great it was to see Joyce, and about all the History that we three share.....I agreed completely.....And below is a picture of the three of us, plus Dianne.....I think this is the first picture we've taken together in maybe 12 years or more..... We really are like sisters.....And that is true for all of us. Again, there is so very much shared history with all of us on so very many levels.....
And of course...it is always great great fun when we get together....! So, another Birthday Celebration for me is now over.....My third Birthday Celebration since I began blogging.....Each one has been memorable for me......And I thank all of you out in the blog world for your lovely Birthday Wishes and your cards and to those who sent me gifts from afar....I cannot thank you enough! You made my day.....! And it was a very Happy Day, indeed!






More To Come........







42 Comments:
had this to say:

As always its such fun to see the photo's and read how much fun you and the ladies have when you get together for any reason at all!! You certainly look Maaaarrrvelous !!!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 4:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That cake looks scrumptous Naomi. You are so lucky to have a close-knit group of friends who are al able to get together.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 7:03:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You have absolutely the best parties! Thank you so much for sharing everything with us. Each year that you blog your birthdays makes them even more memorable - into perpetuity.

So I hope you have recovered from you birthday celebration and keep your memories close to your heart for years to come.

Love, Anne

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 7:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos of fun people! I am glad to know you had such a good birthday, Naomi, and your presents were great. I would especially like the one from Orso!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

(BTW, the first post in this series inspired to do eggs Benedict for the EMBLOS and me yesterday morning. It turned out pretty well, although there was a point where I woke up the kids. Basically, I was yelling at the Hollandaise, "Don't you dare break on me.")

Cheers.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 8:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so happy that you and the girls had such a wonderful time!
I love Annie's note - I have always done that for friends, either offering movie and dinner or babysitting (depending on the friend!)

I hope you had a wonderful July 4th and have recovered from all the festivities.

That picture of Bridget and Kim is absolutely wonderful :-)
Many more Ladies Wot Lunch in the future...

cq

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 10:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Everything looked wonderful. How fun to be with your dearest and best friends on your special day!

I think that you received some very lovely and creative gifts...it is nice when people think a little outside the box - like the lunch from one of your favorite restaurants!!!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful and thoughtful gifts, all very much Naomi :)
Yeah we will get to see another lunch post when you cash in with Annie :)
Another fantastic looking cake from Sweet Lady Jane,their cakes are just gorgeous.
Have a great weekend.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 2:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a birthday celebration - sounds like so much fun - I know we all out in blog land would've loved to have been there with you and your girlfriends, and not forgetting the most marvelous Will!!!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 7:19:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

There is nobody I know of that deserves a more beautiful birthday party. Naomi, you are so kind & loving to all living creatures; that is my favorite quality about you. Your day was obviously a memorable one.
Here's to many, MANY more!

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 8:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are a blessed woman, Naomi...You have many wonderful friends to share your life with.....

I would love to be a fly on the wall just to hear all the stories of the "good ole' days."

Glad you had such a good time. PS: I love you gift bags.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 9:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love eggs Benedict - yum and the letter containing the promise ... what a lovely present, they obviously know you very very well!!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You ladies all look fantastic. It must be all those devine lunches...and now you have Orso's to look forward to. I can't wait to hear what that will be like, catered and all.

Well, I love the gift bags and their contents. Cute bubbles and cards! You received some clever gifts and who can top that decadent cake? WOW!!

It's like we were there the way you described and photographed the day. Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad to see all of you having such a wonderful time, especially the birthday girl!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 4:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy belated birthday! That cake looks awesome. I've never once had Eggs Benedict. I think I need to rectify that.

And I can't believe I never heard of that Broadway Tails book. I think I'm putting it on my Amazon wish list.

I so wish they were using a real dog in Gypsy. The stuffed animal does nothing for me.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 5:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! 77 years young...you're most blessed indeed...all those thoughtful gifts and promises Naomi.

Hmmm...I wonder where I will be at your age...will I have as many friends to enjoy the day together...

Some great pictures to remember.

By the way, do you feel the heat from the fires?

Have a great week ahead Naomi. LOL.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You capture happiness better than anyone I know, Naomi. May you continue to have many occasions to share with such great friends. This is how we should all lead our lives.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 10:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, this was just SO great, Naomi. And thank you so much for sharing it all with us
I SO enjoyed seeing the food, cake, the gifts and all the smiles and socializing. LOVE that hatbox. (I just love vintage hat boxes and have some old ones from my aunt)
I saw that dog trainer on TV recently....such a special person. I'm sure you'll enjoy that book.
And such a special celebration for you. But I still say...you're fibbing to us about being 77! Gosh, you truly look SOOO great!
Love and hugs to you, Naomi.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like you had a great day! Those little gifts are lovely. You've got some great friends!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 10:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey, Naomi, I've actually had All About Eve saved on my DVR since March 1. My problem is, anytime I see a movie is more than 2 hours long, I automatically put off watching it. (No attention span) But it's definitely going to get watched.

Thanks for the tip on Chayefsky. The movie doesn't appear to be available on Netflix, but I love Marty, Network, and The Hospital, so I should probably keep an eye out for it. And Lloyd Bridges, who does not bother me, is in it, so that's good.

Welp, an hour and 15 minutes till the Apartment on TCM--got to go do some errands before the big show (which I have on DVD and have seen 1,000 times) starts.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:10:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Eve
had this to say:

You do not look 77. This is my first time here and I throughly enjoyed crashing your party!. I'm glad you have so many friends who obviously care a lot about you each other. Reminds me of the trafveling pants movie. : )

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 1:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I came over from Sara's (fabricnfiber..) and I'm so glad I did. What a great series of posts on your birthday. This year I am determined to actually 'do' something. I want a tea party but most of my friends think it's silly and don't want to do it. Pooh on them! They can just stay home! I have a funny story about Eggs Benedict. When I was a young girl, my mother who was a widow, fixed what she called cream eggs every Monday night. That was also the night she did the washing with that wringer washer after work. I couldn't ever figure out why we didn't just have sandwiches or something and she said it was because it gave her something to look forward to after a long day at work and more hours doing laundry. Years later, a friend took me out for brunch and insisted I have Eggs Benedict. Lo and behold I think I embarassed her when I yelped "It's Mama's creamed eggs!" :-) I'll be back. I love your stories and it's all a far cry from central Oklahoma!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks so much for the peeks into your party. Your personalized chocolates are so cute. All of your gifts are great. Who is Will?

I love seeing your sweet smile :)

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 3:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I STILL don't think you're old (as in Old Old Lady). But you receive a birthday mighty nicely, good as any four-year-old could. Happy Days.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful photographs. It looks like a spectacular lunch, what a cake. It's nice to hear of the warmth between you and your friends, how well you know each other and the joy you all find together. Heartwarming to read.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 5:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sitting here in front of my computer screen smiling.... because you had such a wonderful celebration. And all those prezzies... gorgeous! The cake "took the cake" as they say, and your Eggs Benedict looked perfect.
I'm so glad you had such a happy day with all your faithful friends. They all look like such "get up and go" ladies, you are so lucky to have such loving companions.
And you're 77???? I don't believe it, you look so youthful and vibrant!
Happy Birthday!

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 6:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a truly wonderful cebration in every detail and way, Naomi !

Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy belated birthday, dear Naomi!! I have enjoyed both bday posts and pictures, thanks to modern technologies (and blogs!!) I feel privileged to also being able to enjoy your bday lunch, even though I was away on hols. Everything looks perfect! and I have to admire the soft light which invades your home, Naomi, it is always the perfect touch to your wonderful indoor pictures.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 12:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So glad to see you having such a wonderful birthday with your friends. Obviously you each treasure each other greatly. I must confess to being taken with the Birthday Bubble Blow. Had seen something similar only once before, but have never been able to find any at local stores. Here's wishing you many more happy years!

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 1:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is so much fun to see your parties take place, you really racked up! Such pretty things you've received. But you deserve it all.

And I think the personalized M&Ms was a great marketing idea. I love 'em.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 6:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That chocolate cake just makes me drool. I love seeing the background also- your lovely home and pictures - like an Aladdin's cave.
You certainly received some lovely thoughtful presents- so difficult for the girl who's got everything.
Have I got it wrong I thought it was 78. Silly me.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 8:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely Party, my dear Naomi! Eggs Benedict looks delicious and your cake looks marvelous, too! Wonderful photos of dear friends. I really loved all your gifts. Thanks for sharing your Birthday with us!
Many hugs!

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 1:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The first time B met with his agent, we had lunch at Orso's. I'm sure you're not surprised at that at all. lol

You look so happy in those photos! :) What a special special day.

I have a meeting with Van on Saturday. :) Wish me luck.
~S

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 4:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You got some cool gifts! What great friends you have!

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 6:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You certainly build a good "goody" bag! Those little kitty note cards are too cute. I love interesting cards.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 7:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have said this before - but you the coolest life! Such great friends, such great memories and an exceptional way of sharing them. Have you ever considered writing a memoir?
It was great to stop by and get caught up on your blog. and a VERY happy belated birthday! May this year bring you an abundance of joy, friendship and love. :)

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 2:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I would so love to be a fly on the wall at one of these gatherings. In a way I was through your post! :)

How wonderful to be surrounded by such good friends on such a wonderful occasion. You are rich indeed! That chocolate cake looks so scrumptious and your goodie bags are such fun.

You had some wonderful thoughtful gifts too. I am glad you liked the little gift I sent. It has given me a great lift to know that my little thing bought you joy. The scented flowers can also be put in the bath :)

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 4:10:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a wonderful sisterhood, cake, and everything. You're friends must be getting used to your blogging ways like mine finally are, with me snapping away at everything as we go. I love the brightness of your home and these sunny get togethers. I hope it's a great year for you, Naomi!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 8:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just catching up on all my missed posts while I've been away moving house...and how WONDERFUL to come back to your 'Part 2' 'Birthday Bash'!! I would love to see some more closeup pics (if you have any??) of the cake - really so delightful, I just love the colour, so 'celebratory'!!!

I am glad you had such a great day; and what amazingly thoughtful gifts you received!!

Here's to many, many more wonderful birthdays to come!!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I loved reading both parts of your birthday lunch!! It seems a great time was had by all. I love all the little goodies in the gift bags. What a nice idea! The gifts you got were great too, and another promised lunch!! Yummy!!

I had a great time at Blogstock but it was tiring! I'm not used to getting up so early and staying up so late!! It was wonderful though and I'm so glad I got to go! Meeting all the others was so nice!

You look great for your 77th birthday Naomi!! Big hugs to you!!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 2:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hope you had a wonderful birthday... you certainly got spoilt... I am trying to 'catch up' with everyone... I have been busy... take care

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 11:16:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a magnificent celebration and what wonderful friends you have. Friends are the family we choose. :)

Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 9:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I found your blog quite by accident. I'm living abroad at the moment and had a dream about the Sunset Vine tower, so I looked it up, and there your post was on its ongoing remodel. I can't imagine why they would think anyone would want to live behind a billboard. Did you know the building is famous for being used as Lorne Greene's office building in the movie Earthquake (in which he played Ava Gardner's father!)

I am really impressed with your skill as a photographer, proof that with enough talent, you don't have to look very far for inspiration. I thought it was funny you took pictures of hikers, and that a lot of them were on their cell phones. And yes, in London, it's the same -- people walking across the street, oblivious to speeding taxis, etc. I overhear conversations all the time and most are incredibly unnecessary. I have a cell phone but most of my conversations last about 30 seconds.

I met your friend Betty Garrett several years ago at Theatre West through a friend of a friend who was heavily involved with it at the time. I'll never forget how sweet she was to me, a total stranger. I'm so glad to see that she's still vital and active.

Scott

Sunday, August 3, 2008 at 12:23:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.