Tuesday, October 02, 2007
senecio

One of the plants in my garden that is probably among the top five of my favorites, is the Senecio. This one pictured above is in the front of my house, on my Patio, and grew from seed....a little piece of the fluff off of one of the many many flowers that appear on a Senecio----another Senecio, in this case----landed on the ground, took root, and this gorgeous plant came from that.

Since my 'confinement' of sorts, I have had the time to really stop and look at the artful beauty of all the things of nature that surround me, the Birds, The Bee's, The Plants, The Flowers......Here above the flowers are at the stage when the Bee's and that Butterfly/Moth that I have posted recently, seem to be very intent on their job....Below, a picture of a Bee and you can see in this photo there are a few "stages" of the flowers that are visable.....And below, another view of those flowers, but no Bee here at the moment.....And talk about "stop and smell the roses"....in this case, stop and really really look at what many of these plants are doing, in detail, 'up close and personal'. Okay, so.....right now this particular Senecio is flowering and this process has many stages to it, as I have said....These pictures show some of the details of the life of the flowers as they go from 'about to flower soon' to---the 'fluff' they become..... As you can see above, just about all the 'stages' of the life of these flowers is visible, to one degree or another....from that very first shot at the top of this post where there were no flowers to below, and some different shots of this Senecio, including some 'fluff'..... This picture above shows the beginnings of heavy duty 'fluff' to the beauty of these white hairs which are very near to being blown to the ground by a bit of wind---I think they are so incredibly beautiful.....And then below, two pictures of "fluff" that has landed on other plants, as opposed to the ground....(They don't root on those other plants, I'm happy to say...lol!)See that little fluffy thing right in the middle of the picture almost like it is sitting on that BIG Plant...'George'? Well, believe it or not, that little peice of fluff could turn into a gorgeous huge Senecio like the one that it came from....Below, another little bit of fluff that landed on a Golden Barrel that is near by..... You can see that there are two little pieces of "fluff" in this picture above.....one on the top of the Golden Barrel, and one smaller piece just to the right of the first bit of fluff....Then, here below, a closer look at an earlier stage of life plus some wonderful fluff as well.... I find this plant and these flowers so 'artful'....so very pleasing to the eye and the heart and the soul....I never get tired of looking at them and seeing new things all the time.....And below....closer, yet again.... And here below, one of the dear Bee's who seem to love this plants flowers.... And one more Bee for you to see, below.....remember the Bee who looked like he had glasses on his tush? Well, here he is...(or a cousin of his maybe..) with the glasses on the correct part of his body....! (lol)There will be more.....much more more....So, as I love to say.....







More To Come......










30 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh I loved these photos...and yes the bee looks like he had spectacles on!!! You have totally educated me about the Senecio..what a wonderful plant..in all its different stages. Pity that, those kind of plants wouldn't survive our canadian winter lol, Someday maybe I will be able to see these for real somewhere warm.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 3:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My favorite photo is 4th from the bottom... I love the contrast of the brushy flowers with the blue sky. What a theatrical garden to have, Naomi. :) Happy Gratitude Tuesday.

~S :)

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 4:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love the blossoms when they form those little circles - the "bee's glasses", and I love how you point out every little nuance of the plant.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi these are wonderful! I love the way you make a visit to each plant so intimate.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 6:14:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Nature is like science fiction! I love the little curly q's at the top of the plant and strolling through your garden via cyberspace.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

mother Nature is a pretty smart cookie, don't you agree?
Lovely study of the senecio, you are so talented!

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 8:14:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

These are fabulous pictures but I never expect less when I come over for a visit :)
Although we agree we have similar climate, I have only seen tiny senecios around here, yours is beautiful!!!

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 11:18:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Besides the wonderful plant I can't help noticing that clear blue sky. We are having grey murky day after day. At least I can see beauty alive and well on your blog - thank goodness.
I wonder if you get little clouds of the floaty things blowing around. It must be lovely to look at.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 at 11:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

No wonder you're always posting piccies of butterflies, birds and bees! You're garden is simply amazing... and the day in The Hills looks lovely with that magnificent blue sky.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 3:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fabulous photos. Seeing the different plants, was one of my favorite things about my recent trip to California. So different from what we have on the east coast.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

..and when can I order my copy of "Life as I See It" a pictorial book by Naomi!?

Did you always take such a look at life as you do now? Amazing Naomi!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Keep on saying "more to come". I love these pictures, even the bees.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 5:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That fluff looks silky.

It reminds me of when I used to pick cotton ball dandelions and blow them and let their fluff float away on the breeze.

Birds and bees have found a paradise in your garden.

I am SURE you are their favorite human.
:-)

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Quite remarkable, Naomi. What stunning plants and their lovely flowers.

I love the photos of the bees, and that the detail shows the flower petals against the fur of the bees.

Absolutely amazing, my dear.

cq

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 12:00:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've never heard of this plant before.
Leave it to you to have it growing beautifully in your garden!
It looks like fluffs of cotton. SO unusual.
Thanks for sharing and keep enjoying.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 1:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a miracle of nature this is the way these plants re-establish themselves. Wonderful lovely pictures Naomi. The bee wearing tiny spectacles!! It does look like it!!

I have one little cacti of some sort here in a pot inside. I can't get near it due to those spikes and when they prick they hurt!!

Thanks for more lovliness from your garden dear Naomi!! (BTW, I haven't forgotten your acorns!!)

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Too cute - the bee with "spectacles" cracks me up!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi.
What interesting and beautiful garden you have!
The varieties...no wonder the birds and bees visit and flutters around.
The pics reflect your appreciation and enjoyment of nature's art. What a feast senecio to our eyes!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:58:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another Show and Tell day in an open class room captured under bright blue skies with the artist's camera. A well told story of a Senecio plant as it blooms and invites the bees to share it's sweet nectar in the midst of nature's splendor.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 5:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That plant is such a wonderful living sculpture. It has such wonderful form in it's shape adn in the detail of it's flowers and seeds too. I just love the vibrant green colour against the blue sky too. It's no wonder you never get tired of your garden. There is always something going on with your visitors, the flowers becoming seeds and numerous other happenings. Gorgeous photos as ever!

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 1:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

All the photos are beautiful, but there's something about the bees that caught my attention. You rarely get to see them up close like this and with the sky and the flowers, it's just an amazing view.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 5:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Very cool! We've got good ole maple trees in our front yard. How Canadian :)

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 9:25:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

As everything else in your garden, this is so exotic to a Norwegian. I've never seen a Senecio - so thanks for sharing with all this beautiful pictures!

Btw: Got your note (to one of my mail address LoL) and I'll answer as soon as I can!

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 11:52:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the series of photos you have Naomi. I love the flowers blossoming and you really have the eye on these beautiful things. Fab as always!

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 6:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Like what Renny said, I've never seen such a plant & flowers too and what a huge bee :D

Lovely shots to brighten up my day, thank you pal :D

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 8:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Absolutely gorgeous! I am envious as I, unfortunately, do not have a green thumb!

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 9:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It is amazing what you will find around your house when you just take the time to look....You are very lucky to have such beauty around you, Naomi...

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

Blogger J C
had this to say:

I haven't visited in awhile so I've been here scrolling. Your photos are lovely, as always, and that one with the zoom showing the Pacific Ocean is incredible. Looks like it's right in your back yard. Thank you for sharing all your family pictures and stories. xoxoxoxoxo

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 10:03:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Such beautiful pictures. And seeing George feels like seeing an old friend.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 10:12:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Michele sent me back to look at these set of pictures. A pleasure yet again!

Sunday, October 7, 2007 at 12:11:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.