Monday, June 18, 2007
another flower

Here is another flower from another plant....this one I believe is part of the Echonopsis Family....though I cannot tell you the specific name of this particular plant....it does have similar flowers to the other one from my last post, but these flowers are smaller and paler, in every respect...the plant itself is different too, as you can see in this next picture below.... And as you can see that first plant, the Trichocereus is in the background....And yes, they were both blooming on the very same day...A true abundance of riches for me! Each of the arms only get one flower, period, which is also true for the Trichocereus. And again, it is a one-day-wonder.... A somewhat closer look, above....the light kept changing while I was down there, and in this picture you can see the truer color of the plant itself. And you can also see these these flowers though funnel shaped like the other flowers in the last post, are defininitely smaller....But still, incredibly delicate. In my experience, every Cactus flower I have ever seen is quite delicate....of course, some more than others.

And here below....a slightly closer look at three of these lovely blooms.... I wasn't able to get as close to these flowers as I would have liked because of where the plant is living in the ground...As many of you know, it is pretty rough down there in my garden, everything on an angle----sometimes a very steep angle----I just don't have the courage anymore on the brink of 76, to take those chances, if you elders get my drift.....it is already chancy going down there now given my physical problems....but I need to go down there....as in, 'need'. As King Lear said to his daughter..."Reason Not The Need"....One would say, I need it for my soul and my spirit....and that's good enough for me. (lol) Here above, getting in closer with the help of all those fabulous computer programs we have....See? Even those interior Stamins or Pistols...(whichever) are such a delicate color....just slightly creamy with a teeny tiny tint of yellow.... My God, this is Magical! See, for me....this is where God is....right here in my garden. In nature. In the true Miracles I see in nature, wether it be these amazing flowers, or the bees or the birds or all the creatures and plants on this earth....It's why we must protect them and nuture them and make sure that our children and our children's children will have something like this to look at and love and appreciate, as well as the fact that everything has a reason for being. Consider this thing that is killing the bees....It's almost too much to contemplate, I tell you. But without the bees....we are in deep deep doo doo. Another miracle of nature....A different blossom.....more beauty for us to look at and be moved by.....as Blanche Dubois said in "Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams, "Sometimes there's God so quickly...." And, below, one more shot of one of the other flowers showing the beautiful complex translucent side-view of this spectacular flower.Thank you for these gifts......
".....for this is the day we are given, let us be glad and rejoice in it....",

Amen, Amen.








More To Come.....







35 Comments:
had this to say:

isn't it sad that there are so many who don't/ can't/ won't take the time to see and love the natural beauty around us...

I'm glad you have so much of it surrounding you, because you DO appreciate it so much.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 4:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Another fantastic journey in your wonderful flower-world. Flowers is heaven and a gift to our planet. A planet without would look like a stone desert.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 5:50:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

There was a book that I read that meant so much to me that tells of the 8 different types of worshippers. And one is the naturist...the one who finds God amongst the gardens, woods and outdoors. That would be me too. I feel closest there. Your comment reminded me of that book. We are not all meant to walk with God inside walls and pews. His beauty lies all around.

That first picture is my favorite. So delicate and pretty. You make me wish I could grow those things too! I doubt my climate would allow it, maybe indoors though!

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 7:11:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Isn't this the purest white?? absolutely beautiful! and thanks so much for your valuable information!! :)

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi dear Naomi! Another thread of wonderful flowers! I like so much the lot of pebbles you put on the ground around the flowers and the cactus. Fantastic garden!

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 11:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

beautiful!

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 11:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have an absolute wonderland of beauty!! Love coming and seeing what surprise you have in store for us!

Have a wonderful week my friend!!

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 12:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for another lovely guided tour in your garden Naomi and how well you have captured those plants and flowers. Like I said last time, to see cactus blooming in gardens is sooo very exotic for a Norwegian. Now I have a friend who has it - thanks for sharing!

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 12:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Cactus flowers are amazing !!! Or maybe it is your eye that captures them with such exqusite delicacy --
Happy and healthy Monday to you, Naomi !

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 1:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You have the most incredible flowers growing in your garden.
These are so gorgeous. And I agree about God in places of nature. I feel Him everywhere on my island. It's difficult not to, when surrounded with such beauty.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just gorgeous!!! Your photo's of these flowers are wonderful. I always think cactus flowers are the most amazing and beautiful. I love how they emerge from such prickly plants to show off their beauty.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 3:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You know what to do with the business end of a camera, don't you? Great work! Thank you.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 6:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for sharing those blooms. It does look like the same cactus that I have. I agree, God's hand is evident in nature. Your garden is so very beautiful. I am wondering if you use any fertilizer on your cacti?

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 7:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's so amazing to me that something that isn't that attractive (to me, anyway!) can produce something so beatiful. I guess it gives true meaning to the old saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover"!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 12:30:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a beautiful flower. It looks so delicate, yet grows in the midst of thorns.
I thought of you last night as we watched a documentary about Galapagos on Nat'l Geo. They showed cacti growing out of what seemed like volcanic rocks. It was really amazing & the contrast was striking.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 12:54:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These flowers are amazing. Pure beauty. I love white flowers. They remind me of innocence, even the richly exotic ones. Thank you for this wonderful visual experience.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 7:01:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

These could be looked upon as the "lilies" of the cactus world, couldn't they! Just lovely!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 7:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You know, until I met you I had no idea such beautiful flowers came from plants such as cacti and palms....

Every new flower in your garden is an education for all of us - with cool photos!! :-)

cq

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Petals almost look like feathers...
Beautiful.
~S

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 2:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just gorgeous Naomi!! You have opened the door to many of us with all the flowers that cacti have! I have never had much luck with cactus in the house, since I tend to overwater them probably! And since we can't have them outside, seeing yours is like....almost!!!

Thanks dear Naomi. I enjoy my walk in your garden every time!!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 3:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Amen indeed! These ARE beautiful too... but I like the "other" version better ... i think ... with the contrasting red... Although these all white ones certainly do have a "purity" about them! As usual... your garden is phenomenal!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's great to appreciate the small things in life. Like you do. I try most days to, too! Living where we are it makes you so very much appreciate nature and just how wonderful and beautiful life can be. Thanks for sharing. (Do you ever get your photos actually printed and framed? I think you should!)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 7:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I just update my blog with a thread of photos taken by a friend of mine, from a beautiful place in Brazil named Serra da Canastra, Canastra Mountain Ridge National Park. I think you will like it. Many hugs!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 9:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've been reading a lot about the bee problem, and it's very interesting to note that ONLY commercial bees are dying. All the organic bee hives are fine, absolutely fine. Not one organic beekeeper has noted any illness or disease in his hives. If you're really worried, why don't you keep a hive yourself. You can probably find a local beekeeper that will place a hive on your property. All you have to do is let him come and get the honey. I did it in NoCal for several years and we got a lot of free, organic honey.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 9:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These flowers are so beautiful, it must be tempting (that is if you don't already) to spend hours in your garden. Do these flowers have a scent at all?

I have the cacti named String of Pearls and their blooms have a slight cinnamon scent to them.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 11:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You should do a gallery show of your most amazing flower shots of which you have so many. The combination of sharp spikes and soft beauty gives me a shiver.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 6:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are really beautiful. The whites are just so pure, aren't they? I think it is amazing that you have such love for your garden, you are very lucky!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These are lovely representations of the beauty that exists in places we mistakenly perceive as barren of such beauty.

Thank you for putting yourself at risk to obtain these photos so that your readers could see the beauty in these places.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful, as usual, Naomi. I now understand the naming of the movie "Cactus Flower"!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 11:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amen! Preach it, Reverend Naomi!
I'm waving my white hanky and thanking God for the wonders of nature!
Hallelujah!
Glory to God!
Are you taking an offering? Now is a good time to pass the plate, since I'm all worked up and eager to give. I send a nice, fat check.

Hard, sharp thorns and soft, delicate petals all in one plant. Simply gorgeous.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You have such cool flowers! I gave up on having any cuz I forget to water them. Oooops! So I am living vicariously through you :)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another great peek from inside an endearing ladies beautiful garden.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another year has flown by Naomi - it time for our birthdays again. What are you doing for your BDay? I am thinking of you. Hugs.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The flowers in your garden are always beautiful. As always, the photos turned out stunning.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:48:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Yes do be careful Naomi. I have learned the hard way not to take chances. Blanche Dubois goes beautifully with those flowers. So ephemeral.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 10:42:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.