Saturday, September 30, 2006
los angeles - july, 1961

When I first moved to Los Angeles (on February 1st, 1961), I only had my sister and one friend living here…Oh, I knew a few other people, but not really well, and I was in a terrible state at the time. I had really come to go to a therapist I had met two years before who I felt possibly could help me to find my way, once again.…

My one dear friend here in Hollywood was my soul-mate, Sammy. I’ve written a little bit about him before…we had met in New York, the first day of drama school and knew instantly we would be fast friends, forever. I spent a great deal of my free time, those first months here in L.A. when not in therapy, with Sammy. We would go to the movies all the time and most of the people I met that first year here in Los Angeles, were all through Sammy.
Along the way, I met his friend John Erman who was a casting director in television at that time, later to become a very successful Emmy winning television and film director.


(John with Gena Rowlands)


Somewhere around mid to late July of that first Summer of 1961, Sammy was asked by John Erman to Stage Manage a play he was going to direct called “The Cave Dwellers” by William Saroyan. (John was trying to 'showcase' himself as a director, and not just as a Casting person, which is what he was doing at that time...he wanted people in the business to see him as the talented Director he knew he was, and the best way to do that at that time was to direct a play...thus, this particular play...) It was to be done for just three performances at a wonderful small theatre called The Coronet on La Cienega Blvd.
I was familiar with The Coronet Theatre because that very first summer---the summer of 1947---when we, my family and I, had come to Los Angeles for the Summer, we went to the theatre a great deal, which was something we had always done in New York from the time I was a young child. At that time, in '47, the Coronet was putting on a series of plays Produced by Charles Laughton. And I believe we went to two of the plays in that lovely 180 seat house during the summer of 1947....and now, it was the fall of 1961. (The following year...in the spring and summer of 1962 I would produce a play there at The Coronet Theatre...the first West Coast production of "Call Me By Ny Rightful Name" by Michael Shurtleff, a wonderful wonderful writer....another story for another time....)

Sammy felt he couldn’t take on the job of Stage Manger for this particular production because of other commitments and said to me that I should do it and he told me he was going to recommend me to John Erman. I really didn’t think I could do the job and I protested, “No, no no”. And I remember Sammy laughed and said…”Oh, Nooma, you could do this with your hands tied behind your back…”, He had a lot more faith in me than I did. So after struggling with the question in my therapy sessions of weather I could actually take on this huge job or not…I decided, I would. And thus began a journey to a new life for me.

Most of the rehearsals were held at one of the actor’s homes….a wonderful character actress named Angela Clarke. Angela lived in a sprawling house that she and her husband had built, up on Mulholland Drive. (dear Angela, at 94 years old, still lives there…). It was kind of a rustic home but very comfortable with a big spacious living room and an incredible view of the Valley side of L.A.. And that is where we rehearsed most of the time till we moved into the theatre. Angela had been under contract to Columbia pictures and had a lovely career working in films and on television.

Angela was a wonderful actress, and a very warm loving woman. There was an actor in the cast named John McLiam, who played Angela’s husband in "The Cave Dwellers". Both Angela and John were kind of the ‘elders’ in this cast. John McLiam was an actor who worked all the time in television and films and he had also written a play that had been produced on Broadway and was published by Samuel French. John McL. was a lovely actor and it turned out that it was he who opened up my ‘new’ life in the theatre in Los Angeles through Theatre West…but that’s another story for another time, too…..I only mention it now because by Stage Managing “The Cave Dweller’s” and meeting John McLiam…my theatrical life in Los Angeles became a truly viable thing.

Another member of this cast was a young and very good looking young man named John Considine. He was a sweetheart of a man and a wonderful actor and writer, too, who in this production played a ‘mute’.
John’s background was wonderfully interesting to me because he came from a great theatre and film tradition. His father, also John Considine but Jr., had been a Producer/Director at MGM during the glory days of the late thirties and early forties and his mother was a ‘Pantages’, a name synonymous with a great theatre chain, including the great movie/stage palace here in Los Angeles, The Pantages Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. Johnny Considine was and is truly part of Hollywood Royalty. There were some other people in the cast, too, all of whom were quite wonderful.


The job of a Stage Manager is a complex one and covers a tremendous area of responsibility. Everything that goes on ‘on stage behind the curtain’ is your responsibility. The props, the sound, making sure the costumes are their and clean….and of course, the Stage Manager holds the book, as they say, all through rehearsals….writes down all the stage directions, feeds the lines to the actors when needed, and calls the show. “Calling the show” starts with getting to the theatre very early and calling ‘half-hour’ to all the actors, when that time comes, and eventually '15 minutes', '5 minutes' and 'Places'...which signifies that the curtain is about to go up. The Stage Manager also makes sure all the props are set in place before the show, checking that the sound is cued up and ready to go, etc….The Stage manager makes sure all the actors know when and where rehearsals are and, any changes that might be required, and the S.M must also make sure that every actor knows any and all changes. The phone is a Stage Manager’s ‘best friend’, now email, too. And, during the run of a play, the Stage Manger "calls" the show, which includes 'calling' every cue for everything....as well as calling "curtain", when the play begins and then when the play is over....Plus, the Stage Manager rehearses all the understudies and makes sure they are ready to go on at any given moment....It is, to say the least, a very very responsible and daunting job.

At that time John Erman was working on the 20th Century Fox Lot casting the original “The Outer Limits”. Because of this, he was going to be able to borrow all the costumes for the play from the Wardrobe Department on the lot. “The Cave Dwellers” is a period piece of sorts so the costumes were very specific to that time and place. As we got closer to being ready for costumes, John arranged for the whole cast…which was about 7 people and me, to come to Fox, have lunch in the Commissary and then go to Wardrobe to pick out the needed clothes. He had arranged for us all to have ‘drive-on’ passes so we would not have to walk miles and miles….This was very exciting to me because I had only been on that lot once before back in 1949 when I was an Extra in a Paramount film called “Mr. Music” that was using the ‘small town and train station’ on the Fox back-lot, where Century City is now. And at that time, we were bussed from Paramount to Fox.

To eat in ‘The Commissary’ where the likes of Tyrone Power and Betty Grable and Marilyn Monroe all came to eat…this was heady stuff.
Of all the people connected to the show I was the least experienced in film and television at that time, so for me, this was a big deal. What I didn’t know at the time was that it was a very big deal for Angela Clarke, who had worked on the Fox lot as she had on every lot in town, besides Columbia Pictures.

We all met there at the Commissary where John had reserved a big table for the nine of us. Angela was sitting next to John at this particular lunch. We all ordered and were then just waiting for our food to arrive. At one point, a man came over to the table and whispered in John’s ear. John excused himself as he got up from the table moving away with the man to the other side of the room. None of us took too much notice of this…Well, none of us except Angela.

A few minutes later, John returned to the table and sat down next to Angela again. She leaned over to him and whispered…”It’s me isn’t it? They want me to leave the lot, don’t they?” And John was quick to reassure that that was not the case, at all, “Oh No, Angela, it was someone from the ‘Outer Limits’ needing to talk to me about something.” She still looked terribly scared.
The moment passed, sort of....but I was aware that something quite terrible had happened to Angela that I had never seen before...some terrible fear stayed on her face....I really didn’t quite know what she was had meant by what she said to John, nor did I understand his answer---but I knew this lovely talented woman had suddenly become terribly frightened till John reassured her that his leaving the table had nothing to do with her. Later, I asked John about what had taken place with Angela at lunch. He said that Angela had been Blacklisted and that this was the very first time in almost 10 years that she had been on this lot, or any Studio Lot for that matter. And she was sure that someone saw her there and was insisting that she get off the lot. That story hit me like a ton of bricks. This lovely woman had been truly frightened in that moment and her experience of being blacklisted had scarred her so badly that she was positive she was going to be thrown out of the commissary and told to leave the 20th Century Fox lot, all together! I learned from John, that Angela had not worked in many many years because of this ‘list’. Her livelihood had been cut off, all because she had gone to a few meetings of The Communist Party in the 30’s!

People now do not understand how horrible that time was for so very many many people in the film industry. It wasn’t just Hollywood, but all of the film industry in this country and television, too. Many people never recovered. Some actually killed themselves or their lives were cut short by the strain and humiliation of loosing their careers, and being shunned by their co-workers and more horribly, shunned by their friends. It divided people in a terrible terrible way....and believe it or not, there are people still, who have hateful feelings towards other people who were friends back then. It was a very scary time, too. And back then, in 1961, even almost ten years after the fact, I was seeing first hand a tiny example of the results of this shameful time.

The frightening thing is, this could happen again. I see the seeds of it right now. Oh no, not about Communism….that was a rouse, anyway….Now, if you say anything against our current government you are considered “un-American” by certain factions. The ;aws that are being passed, as I write this....the flagrant disregard of our constitution, by the people in power now, is very frightening....

I’ve never forgotten that day in the commissary at Fox…it was the first of a number of first hand encounters and incidents that I became aware of as time went on. Over the years I have known quite a few people who were blacklisted during that period, all of whom I met after moving to Los Angeles in 1961. I am and have been very close to four of those people. All four of them suffered terribly in their careers. They are Angela Clarke, Larry Parks, Betty Garrett and Lee Grant.
The last two were affected by default….the fallout of their respective husbands blacklisting, and in Lee’s case, in speaking at the funeral of an actor who killed himself because of the Blacklist. Lee did not work in films or television for a good twelve years and then the first things she did came out of New York, and then finally, she did some shows in Hollywood which broke the Blacklist against her, pretty much once and for all. Lee went on to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the film "Shampoo", among many other Awards over the years as a Director, as well as as an actress….but for twelve years the only place she was able to work was in the theatre, on Broadway….

This was a truly terrible and terrifying time….and as I said, a shameful time in our history....we really must learn from the past or we are most assuredly going to repeat it....


Going back to Angela for a moment....here is another photograph of a Birthday Lunch in 1997, when she turned 85. It was a group of actresses from Theatre West, and here it is: "The Ladies Who Lunch"....Me, Betty G., Margaret Muse, Janet Brandt, Seemah Wilder and Jeanne Bates, all standing. And Seated: Angela Clarke and Connie Sawyer....Betty, Angela and Janet Brandt all were effected by The Blacklist...

And, sad to say, Margaret and Janet are both gone now....

Connie Sawyer and Angela Clarke are both in their 94th year, and Connie is still a working actress, God Bless Her!




UPDATE: Wendy, over at Wendy's Whimsies is holding her monthly Casting Call Comment Game....For the next 48 hours you can join in the fun....Do go on over to her place and leave a comment....and remember you can go back as often as you like....All Weekend Long....and at the end of the weekend she will pick a winner! So go on now and have some jolly good fun! You get to meet wonderful people, too!







More To Come….







Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

53 Comments:
had this to say:

I love reading these posts of yours! Having been married to a stage hand, I know all about the intricacies of the SMs job and am in awe of it! My daughter Emma got to shadow the SM on Miss Saigon as a birthday present a few years ago and she was thrilled!

Today, I am going to see Jersey Boys with Emma, her boyfriend, and said ex-husband Aarne who is a great guy. He gets us house seats almost every year as a birthday present for my daughter, even though he's not her dad and we were divorced when she was 5. THAT's commitment to a child.

Anyway... enough about me! Your life is a festival of joy and wonder. I love reading about it!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 5:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow Naomi.. you sparked an almost forgotten memory when you spoke of the blacklisting!
My friend DeForest Kelley made some movies directed by Eddie Dmytryk.
He wrote a book called: Odd Man Out: A Memoir of the Hollywood Ten

Edward Dmytryk was one of Hollywood's Ten: those blacklisted for communism in the 1950s. He directed many classic noir films, including the Oscar-winning Crossfire and The Caine Mutiny, and many others.

When you mentioned the blacklisting he burst into my mind from stories (funny stories) De told me while working under his direction. One day when I was living in the Valley I actually got to meet both he and his wife when I ran into him at (are you ready for this?) The Pancake House lol.. he was very nice and we spoke a bit about his western movies before we went our separate ways...

I hadn't thought of that moment in a long time! Thanks to you it's back in my "memory banks" lol lol

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely memo and a great read - thank you so much for sharing this long story of your life in LA. Sorry to say I've never been there, but it's on my list, so who knows - one day we might meet:-)
Looking forward to the follow up and until then: have a lovely weekend!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 6:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My dear friend Naomi, thank you so much for your lovely and kind words about me and my blog! I always love so much your visiting and encouraging words!

Love to know a little about your soul-mate, Sammy! So very interesting this story about the terrifying time of the Blacklist! It's amazing that you was there and witness this fact! With this post you have another chapter to your book, Naomi!
You are right when you say that
"we really must learn from the past or we are most assuredly going to repeat it". Thanks for sharing this ransom of the movie's history and this alert to the future!

Love the photo showing "The Ladies Who Lunch"! You are so beautiful and very happy together those lovely ladies!

Have a nice weekend, my dear!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 6:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Terrific post, Naomi. Great trip down memory lane and reminder of a shameful time in our past.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 8:31:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Yes, I don't remember if you ever posted in depth about your dear friend Sammy.

Several weeks ago I do think I saw your friend Betty Garrett on a rerun of Grey's Anatomy?

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This was a wonderful and powerful read! You are writing your memoirs, I do beleive... and to an instant audience. This is what I love about blogging.

Last night I wathced Tony Bennet being interviewed by Tavis Smalley. He related an incident that changed his life...when he was in the service overseas and a higher up ripped his stripes and spit on them because he was friends with a black man. He choked up telling it, and he went on to be active in civil rights because of it. I was very moved and enjoyed the clips of his jazzy singing. WOW.

I do so enjoy your posts! And fear the resurgence of witch hunts.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That word 'un-American' worries me. I don't think there is an equivalent anywhere in the world - not for a nation.
Discrimination for race, creed and colour - yes. But segregation by one's own country?
I also thought the way McCarthyism attacked such public figures to intimidate the populace was shameful.
Not to mention all the innocent people slandered and libelled, some of whom were so desperate they took their own lives.

I notice the word 'un-American' has cropped up again. I do hope Mr Bush and his cronies don't repeat history.

We are supposed to learn from history, not repeat it.

Good post, honey.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 10:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger mar
had this to say:

You brought up important issues with your post, Naomi. We should learn from the past, we shouldn't forget... I am married to a German and I am very aware of this.
Great read as always, loved to read that Angela, at age 94!, still lives in her house!!!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 10:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

another beautiful post. wonderful and heartbreaking memories.

and the point that you make about the state of the country today, and learning from mistakes rather than repeating them is so very important.
and once again heartbreaking.

we should all be working for change for the better in all our own countries and indeed others, the world as a whole. otherwise we will indeed be going backwards.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke.

fear is the most damaging thing we face. questioning and searching to find the right path in the end is crucial. don't we teach that to our children every day?

thank you again for this lovely post. and it's great to hear about the girls now :)

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely rendition of Yesterday on the Casting Call, Naomi! :-)

I know Wendy says to talk about the script, but we already are! :-)
When are you gonna spill the beans about your friend, Tom Skerritt? (from a mutual TomS fan}

cq
Wendy directed me here :-)
http://wendyswhimsies.blogspot.com/2006/10/audition-time-come-one-come-all.html

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have always been fasinated and horrified over the whole blacklisting/Hollywood ten, era.I was aware of Larry and Betty ( by default) being blacklisted but didn't actually know about Lee Grant. As always I have learned something by being here.
As I always say I could listen to you for hours. I MISS you and I want a tuna sandwich right now lol.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was a very interesting article that you wrote and an excellent reminder for where we are right now in our country. Not that they can yet do that, but using spiritualism and patriotism, and inspiring fear in others, they are sure trying. Not the same people but the same movement. It is a very scary time and speaking out is important in whatever way we can. Thank you for how many times you do it here in your blog.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 2:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is a very interesting post Naomi! (as always!!). How sad that some were blacklisted. I hope nothing like that happens again, but people are pretty crazy so it's certainly possible.

Lovely picture of all the ladies!!

Thanks for sharing your memories. It's so nice to read about them! This is so interesting and you write so well!! I'm sure you were a great stage manager!!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 3:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an interesting story (as usual).
Of course I don't remember, but we studied about "Blacklisting" and how ridiculous it was. Crazy paranoia.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 4:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another wonderful post Naomi!! You are such a good writer! It's like reading an excellent, interesting short story, but better because it's from your past!

Too bad about the blacklists. That stuff probably goes on more than we know about. Sad.

I'll bet you were a great stage manager!!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 4:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wendy sent me!!!

Great post--I was farting the whole time I read it.

www.crashtestcomic.com

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 7:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow. This is my first time to your site and I loved reading your post. I love love love theatre and do our community theatre here in Charleston,SC.

These stories are so awesome.

By the way, Wendy directed me here!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love reading your blog. It's amazing to read the stories of Hollywood during a time I wish I could have been a part of.

I'm getting ready to teach my cast of The Crucible all about the blacklist and that time in Hollywood. It's such an important tie-in that most English teachers leave out.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 8:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love it when you take a little trip down memory lane, since your memories and life are so different from mine. The photo is a treasure, I am sure, and you all look lovely. I vaguely remember the blacklist; at the time I had little idea of what it meant, but I used to hear my parents talk about it. I am glad that Lee Grant got out from under it - she was/is an excellent actress, whom I enjoyed back in the 60's and later.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 8:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow! it was both wonderful and sad to read about those dark days in hollywood. thanks so much for sharing those precious memories with us. ;)

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It saddens me to think how an earlier generation used fear and paranoia to ruin lives. And you're right: we're not that far off from a second coming.

I primise I will never tire of your richly detailed views of lives well lived during times that have now receded into history. What a gift for us!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well...I have been to your blog before but this time I was directed here as a part of the casting call. I was glad to read this memory of yours. I like "ladies who lunch"....do you belong to a Red Hat group? I am sorry that you & your friends went through such an ordeal with the Blacklisting.

Wendy directed me here today. Thank you, Wendy.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:25:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Cat
had this to say:

Wow, first time here (I've seen you comment on Jane's blog before) and I really enjoyed reading this story. You kept me captivated!

Lovely sharing...thanks so much.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 9:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well OOLOTH, my computer has been visiting your computer for hours and hours and hours -- cuz shortly after I got here and posted to your news about the party, Krysti came home from horseback riding, having been thrown from the horse and I had to take her to the ER for a CT scan! OY! But I made it back and got to finish reading you WONDERFUL story about coming to Hollywood and the blacklist era! That really MUST have been SUCH a frightening time for people. And from what I've heard didn't SOME people get blacklisted simply because someone started RUMORS about them? I mean, they never actually DID anything and STILL got blacklisted? How SAD!!! But you know what I'm wondering about Naomi? Have you ever entertained the idea of writing a book? You have SOOOOOOO many tales to tell... and honestly... I would PAY to read your memoirs! I truly would! You have just had such an interesting life!!!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 10:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I just LOVE your stories. You must write a book! I love all of 'old' Hollywood. It's just not like it used to be. Again, I have so many questions. You need to post a 'question and answer' for us. I know other's probably have questions, too. I don't know much about Sammy but would love to here more. Do tell!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 1:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great informative story! Los Angeles is one of my favorite cities! Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 1:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a sad situation to be in. very sad and very scary too.
here from wendys

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 3:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely rendition of 'Hello', my dear Naomi.

Wendy directed me to see you again, but I'm not complaining :-)

cq

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 3:26:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Remember the little light brown cottage with the white picket fence on Melrose just below La Cienega? Across from the big red and white clock in the Surveyer's office window?

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 6:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This is a very interesting post. Thanks for sharing. You certainly have had an interesting life.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 10:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have taken chocolate chip cookies to Wendy's auditions!

I love 'Some Enchanted Evening'...

:-)

cq
Came here from Wendy

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love this post, Naomi. Really fascinating. You forgot to mention John Considine's brother Tim. I remember him well as the oldest son on "My Three Sons" (until he disappeared after a few seasons and Don Grady became the oldest) and as Spin in the "Spin and Marty" serial that was part of "The Mickey Mouse Club!" I didn't realize that they were related to the Pantages. Funny, I was just researching Alexander Pantages this morning for something I'm working on and was reading about his famous rape trial in 1929. He was convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison but then hired a shark of a lawyer for an appeal who completely discredited the alleged victim who was 17 at the time and Pantages got off (though his career was ruined). There was later speculation that his RKO partner Joseph Kennedy Sr. set him up so he could get a controlling interest. Oy.

Anyway, I LOVE reading about your early years in L.A. More please!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Really sorry you couldnt leave a comment :o(
I love seeing an old photo of L.A. and reading about your interesting life in L.A. I lived there for 10 years before I moved out of the country.

Have a wonderful week ahead :)

Wendy directed me here today

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 11:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello:

Wendy said you had refreshments.

:)

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 1:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was an interesting post, I was sad to read about how people were 'black listed'. Just another kind of discrimination.

Wendy sent me here today.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 1:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow I never knew that Hollywood used to be such a old but cool place. I wish I was around back then. Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog! =D

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 3:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the story :)

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 3:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an intriguing story!

Naturally, I'm here from Wendy's. But I really do need to stop by more often!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 4:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am here from Wendy, and I am glad I am...

What an awesome story. I totally got into it. If there is more of that around here, I think I will stick around for a while if that's okay with you ;)

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 6:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again, you've shared a wonderfully interesting story. I am consistently intrigued by your stories, and always come back for more.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 7:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I really love visiting your site. There's so much to learn here. From plants, flowers, actors and actresses. They're all knowledgeable and entertaining.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 7:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an interesting read! I'd heard of the whole "blacklistin" thing but had no idea what it really was. Wow.

Think I'll pop over to Wendy's now!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 8:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was incredibly interesting!
I have heard of blacklisting but must admit that I am not very familiar with the details of what happened.
Your post gave me a glimpse.
Your stage manager job sounds VERY hard. You had to be on your toes at all times to handle the demands of that job. I bet it was a blast!!!!

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 9:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Have a happy Monday I think it is now past midnight in LA :)

look after yourself

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 12:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again, what a fantastic post, Naomi!
I had no idea exactly what was involved as a Stage Manager...daunting, to say the least. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
As for the Blacklist...I think you know how I feel about that and the horrible wrongdoings that were done to innocent people. It WAS unforgivable and it's scary to think in a different way, it could all be repeated. So I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your sharing of a first-hand experience in relation to this. Well done! If we don't speak up and speak out....then everything remains the same. Bravo to you!

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 8:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fantastic post. Your life makes mine sound boring. LOL

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 3:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am smiling at the fact that you keep track of the time since your birthday. :-)

I love all sorts of things about acting. I especially love reading through scripts. I think that my favorite is "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde.

(visiting from Wendy's)

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 12:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My Mum, who is now nearly 80, was a huge Al Jolson fan all her life, and of course loved 'The Jolson Story' and 'Jolson Sings Again' with Larry Parkes, who soon became one of her favourite actors.

I remember her trying to explain 'blacklisting' to me as a young teenager, and me finding it so difficult to comprehend. He never made another film, did he?

Your quote: "we really must learn from the past or we are most assuredly going to repeat it" is so important. You share some great insights.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 4:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm such a history buff and just love the histories of Hollywood that you often share. Thanks for connecting the dots of who's who and the people impacted by the blacklisting. It was a horrible episode in our country's history. Unfortunately, horrible continues to happen today. *sigh*

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 11:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow Naomi. I've read about the blacklisting, and known details, and seen documentaries, but it always puts a more powerful spin on things when you see faces, and hear about those talented people who were so unjustly persectued. And that it could happen again is unconscionable. I watched the Lucy Master series this weekend, and there was a section of it on that as well.

On a separate note... I love the intimate space of The Coronet. :)

~S

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 12:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Kevin Raftery
had this to say:

I very much disagree that the HUAC was a rouse.
Communism was a very real threat to America during those times...and unlike Arthur Miller's witches, there definitely were communist spies amongst us...
the Rosenbergs were selling atomic bomb secrets to the Russians.
Certain people really wanted to see the U.S. fall...this great country that allowed those same Hollywood people to practice their art and make enormous amounts of money doing it.
I feel Kazan did the right thing, and I feel if others had cared enough about this country they would have done that, too.
If we don't protect what we have we will lose it. Kevin Raftery

Monday, July 13, 2009 at 5:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Like EVERYONE else here Naomi I love reading your posts too. So incredibly interesting. The blacklisting in particular - we have all read about this but you ahve first hand knowledge of it and know the people who were affected. That is a great deal different then just reading the press reports. The incredible thing for me is that it is really not that long ago all this happened is it?

February 1961 - wow. I am glad you had your sister and Sammy there when you first went out there. Look what you achieved in that time. Tob e a fly on your wall for all those years would have been something.

I absolutely love reading what you write about "finding your way". Somehow as a person who has been doing a fair bit of that of late it is somehow reassuring that it does all come together when you work at it like you did.

I hopw you enjoy your Sunday Naomi and that your baby is doing well now.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 6:58:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.