Saturday, September 02, 2006
and more on my garden below

This is a Cycad....it's a slow growing plant who's leaves look somewhat like a Palm, but it doesn't ever grow up the way a Palm does...at least this one won't get tall...there are many variety's of Cycads....some very rare....this one is quite beautiful, I think.... Here is a close up of one of the 'fronds' if one can call them that considering it is not a Palm, (though the Sago Palm is related)....the ends are very very sharp and one must be quite careful when handling these lethal babies...

This next picture shows a close-up of the center of this beautiful plant where we can see the growth of the new fronds just beginning.... This, above, is how the new leaves actually look when they are just beginning. If you didn't know they were going to be leaves, one might wonder what all that growth in the center could be....

Here is another Cycad that I have had for about 15 years....It is a very rare and special one and as you can see from this picture, very very slow growing.... When I first got this amazing plant it only had two leaves on it....now, 15 years later it has about eight leaves....Below is a somewhat closer look at these very unique looking leaves.... There was a Nursery in the North Hollywood area of the Valley, over the hill from me, that was run by one man who specialized in Cycads....particularly, the unusual. And this one certainly qualifies for that category. From the color of the leaves to the most unusual shape....I think this Cycad is exceptionally beautiful. And here above....an extreme close-up of one leaf---with those dangerously sharp little pointy things on the ends of each section. This leaf is almost like an 'abstract' piece of sculpture---the shape so incredibly not like anything else....

And here below, a close look at some red seed pods on a Euphorbia Cooperii....so luscious looking and ripe, like the fruit they are.... I've never tasted this fruit but one can only imagine how rather exotic this might be....Yuuummmm!

And here below, is an entirely different Euphorbia! These flowers just take your breath away....the variety of color---almost white, to light pink, to dark pink, to a red of sorts....One of my very favorite plants, ever! I know I have no doubt explained this before, but it bears repeating. There are probably 1500 types of Euphorbias and sometimes you cannot figure out what ties them all together because they can look so different from each other....it is that milky white substance that is inside each of these plants that is the unifying thing....including Pointsettia's, btw... And including these three different kinds of Euphorbias....Amak Variegated, Ingens, and 'The Chocolate Drop'....these are all tall and stately plants and here in this picture the city of Los Angeles is the backdrop for these magnificent people....

Way down in the bottom right corner of the garden as you face the city are a couple of 'true' cactus people. Here below, is one with the common name of 'Fish Hook'.... And here below is a closer look at this very beautiful plant...You can easily see why the common name is 'Fish Hook'.... And, below, one more....even a bit closer.... Nature is fantastic! You couldn't design something like this.....but nature did! And this plant gets such gorgeous flowers....when next it blooms I will take some pictures of them and post them....I can't see this plant from my deck because there are some trees in the way...So, I'll check on it when I go down that far again and hopefully get some lovely pictures of those magical flowers....

Down at the bottom of the far left side of the garden as you face the city is this beautiful sculpture of a Goat created by the same artist--Gene Logan--who also created the Ram, further up in the garden.... I've always loved Gene's work but never had the proper place for it till I created this garden....Both the Ram and the Goat have been here in my garden for about 17 years.... Here above is a little closer look at this sweet Goat. I have always felt that Gene Logan gets so much emotion into his sculpture....particularly his Goats....there is a vulnerability---a sadness, if you will....here below, a close-up of this very dear face.... Oh My....this face could bring you to tears....

Here below is a pretty common Opuntia, but quite a beauty to my way of thinking. The common name for this one is 'Silver Dollar' because of the perfect roundness of the pads....it's a great color, too.... And as you can see, there is a new 'baby' growing. This is how they look when they are very young...

And above....a little bit closer look at this new pad....Amazing symmetry....fantastic, actually! And above....the most fantastic of the fantastics! A closer look at nature at work...and these things do all this on their own...we don't do anything....they do it all, even when we aren't looking or we are just too busy to look, they still go ahead and do their thing and then, when we stop all the running around and all the other stuff in our lives that keep us from really looking---they are still there, doing their thing....so that when we finally do stop and take a really good look, we look in wonder....! Amen, Amen....


Oh..and don't forget Wendy's Casting Call which is going on right now and will continue to do so for the next 48 hours...well, not 48 hours anymore....maybe 44 hours....whatever....It is so much fun to play and she has some fabulous virtual cookies and brownies and for those watching their weight, some veggies! (Pass your cursor over her name and click and it will take you right there!)



More To Come.....








Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

36 Comments:
had this to say:

Your garden is just spectacular. It just amazes me what you have there...things I've never seen before and I love the goat.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are a master gardener for sure Naomi!..

as I looked at the close ups my mind kept going "ouch! ouch" lol Good thing the goat isn't real, you might not have quite as many plants! lol

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have such a wondeful and interesting garden Naomi. How i wish I have the luxury of time doing gardening.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous pictures Naomi. Your garden is so lovely. I love the variety of colors and shapes! So nice that you know all the names of everything too! I love the goat as well. That fish hook one sure has an appropriate name. I have never seen one like that before!!

Looking forward to more!!!!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have lots of Cycads in my yard in Louisiana....you're right, they are SHARP. So different than what you'd see up here in MT....great pictures!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 7:17:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

When some of the cacti have their "babies", do you ever carefully cut them off, root them and then plant elsewhere in your garden?

In med school a couple of us grew African violets under the flourescent lights in our study area. They were always developing little offshoots and we would remove and root them. At the end of the year we had so many plants.

Love, love, love the garden sculptures.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 10:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your garden. Those pink flowers are so pretty. And omgosh that fruit made my mouth water. It kinda looks like pomegranite seeds. Because of you I always notice cactus (cacti?) whenever I am driving around.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Is the red fruit edible? I am wondering how it would taste, because it looks good!

I loved the Cycads--very beautiful!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 11:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I find it amazing how each plant, each element has its own back story, its own history. The way you have evolved and documented your garden illustrates why our gardens are such rich additions to our lives.

Happy sigh.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 12:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful. :)

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 1:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your garden looks like a paradise, Naomi! So beautiful plants! Love so much the Cycad, it is a very luxurious plant! The Goat is an amazing and fantastic sculpture!
Thanks for sharing this beautiful photos. By the way I would love to see photos of the other side of your deck, the side to the green hill. Is it at right of your deck, isn't?
Have a lovely weekend my dear friend!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 4:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely! I esp. liked the spikey cycad and the pink blooming Euphorbia. Absolutely beautiful.

And is it just me, or does the lamb's face remind anyone else of Russel Crow? Maybe it's just me. ;)

Love these photos. Hope you're staying out of the 100* heat today. Oy!
~S

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 5:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the opuntia, Naomi. And the bluish one is beautiful - but the fish hook is absolutely amazing! I'd love to look at it - but I sure hope to never come into contact with one....LOL!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You really do have the most gorgeous cactus garden I think I've ever seen! (granted I haven't seen MANY - but I have seen a few! My sister lives in Arizona - and I travelled through Texas last year!) That spikey leaf plant - the one with 8 leaves - that think looks DANGEROUS! I do have to wonder why, since you have the plant growing right in your yard, you have never bothered to TASTE that red fruit! I would not be able to resist as long as I knew it was not poisonous. And I just have to tell you ... I LOVE your goat! I think you and I have verrrry similar taste in art! Well... at least in sculpture! LOL!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd have to try one of the red seeds!

Love the sculptures!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 8:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We have a lot desert plants and I've seen a lot of desert plants, but you never fail to show me something I've never seen before or at least don't know the name of! :)

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 9:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, Your garden is wonderful. I love the different textures and shapes of the plants.
Hope you are well
Tanya :)

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 9:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I was here admiring your garden earlier tonight when I got distracted and didn't post a comment. I really like your garden...reminds me a tiny bit of FL.

Wendy sent me.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 11:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for stopping by. DH is dear hubby. Darly is my daughter, her funny thing is much better and it's the post below.

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 11:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You have a BEAUTIFUL garden!! The sculptures, the plants, the EVERYTHING is awesome! And you did a great job photographing them! Wow! Here from Wendy's :) I've really enjoyed my visit!

Saturday, September 2, 2006 at 11:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh how lovely your garden is. We do not have these types of plants because of our climate (unless in a hot house). Some of them look totally viscious!

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 12:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful plant pictures' they really are spectacular. You must have a great camera..

Michele sent me here.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 3:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fantastic collection.

Cheers to a new week.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 4:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

From Michele..I love the blue one and then the pink. Wouldn't grow in Canada where I am!

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi,

I can't say "Wendy" sent me (or maybe I can even though my name wasn't below yours?), but I noticed your entry and that you were participating in the "casting call," lol. For once, I caught it. Didn't understand it before. It's fun. So I'm popping in to say "Hi" and good luck. You have so many cacti and such a large variety.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 12:57:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Jen
had this to say:

oh what gorgeous plants!!! I'd LOVE to have a garden like that.....but I dont think anything that exotic would survive in Ohio....poor me!!

Just dropping in from the casting call!

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello. I found you on Jamie Dawn's site,and thought I'd stop by. What a lovely garden you have!
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kendra Lynn

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great Pics. I especially like the goat. Here from Michele's.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi again Naomi. This time Wendy did send me, lol. I have to say I love the "baby" growning on the Silver Dollar. I love the sign for your garden in the last picture.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Are these the hills I'm looking for?? Are these the hills Wendy sent me to find? They don't look very Cat friendly to me! Oldoldlady, aren't your hills a scary place for humans too?

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me. What a dear goat. I thought it was living from a distance. I thought 17 years was long for a goat to live and your plants were in danger. I once lived with a goat and he would eat anything.

There is such a wonderful variety of succulents. You're a passionate public educator/protector.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just had to come back for another look, Naomi. The photography is exceptional. How are you shooting your plants? In many cases, the depth of field is so well-defined that the focal areas almost leap off the screen.

This is frameable stuff, you know.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 6:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So much zest! And prickly magnificence!!

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 9:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW!!!!
i can't single out a pix to comment on becuase they are all so beautiful! you take awesome pix and i agree with carmi... frame some of this stuff before it dies!
is this stuff that you planted ytourself or do you have a hired person do gardening for you or do you not need to attend much to your garden?

Monday, September 4, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's been ages since I've stopped by. In fact, I believe your blog is one of the first I've visited since Summer began.

Months have passed, but your garden continues to WOW me. It's beautiful.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i love cycas very much...i think yours is cycas revoluta..mostly alot in Borneo and Malaysia..i recomended to get this one- cycas rumphii..very nice.My experience is other than use chemical to protect from bugs is use salt..broadcast little bit.Conclusion is your garden is marvelous.

Friday, September 8, 2006 at 7:54:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.