Monday, July 31, 2006
emmy viewing - 4

The Five nominees for Outstanding Actor In A Drama Series are:

PETER KRAUSE for "Six Feet Under"
DENIS LEARY for "Rescue Me".
CHRISTOPHER MELONI for "Law & Order SVU"
MARTIN SHEEN for "The West Wing"
KIEFER SUTHERLAND for "24"

Another really tough category for me. All of these men are truly 'outstanding' and fantastically talented actors! Once again, a very very difficult decision. Okay, going alphabetically:


Peter Krause played Nate Fisher in "Six Feet Under" for the whole 5 or 6 seasons it had been on the air, having ended it's run this year. All of the Fishers are flawed neurotic people---in other words, human...but lovable as all get out! Nate, is no exception. Never happy that he had to return to Los Angeles when his father died. He was pretty much forced to carry on the Undertaking business with his brother David and you most of the time you felt that Nate had one foot out the door. His relationships with women were all terribly complicated and the two woman he married were pretty neurotic and crazy, as well....But this sure made for interesting and realistic television. All of the Fisher's at various times, would 'see' and have conversations with their dead father. Nate was no exception. The episode Peter Krause chose 'for our consideration' was a very interesting one because he got to show us Nate's ambivilance about his marriage and his wife's pregnancy and towards the end of the episode his incredible rage at just about everything is shown, killing a bird in a kind of displaced display of terrifying anger. A wonderful choice by Mr. Krause for us to watch. I've always felt that Peter Krause was an actor of great range and that his portrayal of Nate Fisher gave him the opportunity to show that range...especially in the episode I just saw. An incrediby talented actor at 'the top of his game'.


Denis Leary is an amazingly talented actor and writer. This series, "Rescue Me" on FX, is absouletly riviting in every way.
He plays Tommy Gavin, an alcoholic New York City Fireman who is in great turmoil after the September 11th disasater, having lost not only his fireman cousin, but many other people, too. The series has such a ring of authenticity to it----beautifully written and wonderfully acted by an ensemble cast, all of whom are as 'real' as everything else about this series---there is the ring of truth in every episode including the humor that is a very big part of the show. The episode Mr. Leary chose 'for our consideration' was a devistating one. It begins with the 'wake' for his young son, who has been killed in the street by a drunk driver and Tommy's wife holds him responsible for this because she says he wasn't watching his son closely enough. Tommy Gavin hasn't really broken down yet and felt his own terible pain and guilt about the loss of his son...suffice it to say, this breakdown happens in this episode, and in the most unexpected yet terribly real way and when this happened, I was devistated too as I watched this man's complete breakdown----this man---who has a very very hard time showing emotion. A superb performance by Mr. Leary. (A Side Note: Leary is one of the creator's of this series, as well as the lead actor.)


Brilliant actor Christopher Meloni plays Detective Elliot Stabler in "Law & Order: SVU" and is Olivia Bensen's partner on the show. (Actress Mariska Hargity, as stated in my previous post....). Over the years of this very successful series we have watched the character of Elliot Stabler struggle with his inner demons and occassionally things have been revealed through story lines that have touched upon these demons. As the series progressed, Stabler's wife has now left him and has taken his children away so he does not see them...a very painful thing for Stabler, to say the least. This particular episode is one of those revelatory story's where we see Stabler's inner rage come out and in such a huge way that he takes himself to the police shrinky person...and again, as in the previous show mentioned above, we see a man who has trouble showing emotions breaking down with the truths of his life that are forced to the surface by the probing of the police psychiatrist. A masterful acting job by Christopher Meloni if ever there was one. So far, the score is three for three. Oy!

Next, there is the veteran actor Martin Sheen who plays Jed Bartlett, the President of The United States in "The West Wing".
A beautiful actor who has been nominated before for this role, but, has not won. This series ended with this season. And as many of you know, I hated to see this series go off the air. But off it went. And the episode Martin Sheen chose 'for our consideration' was the very last episode of the series...the changing of the guard so to speak, when Bartlett is leaving office and Santos is coming into office. There was not any big emotional scene in this episode, just the subtle pain of the end of a very full and important eight years in a man's life as President of The United States. Mr. Sheen was perfect. He was perfect as The President, and he was perfect here in his very 'he makes it look so easy' last hurrah as the outgoing Jed Bartlett. Beautiful performance in every way. A superlative actor if ever there was one.

Now we are four for four. Oy Oy!

And last but not least, we have Kiefer Sutherland a truly lovely actor who plays Jack Bauer in this wonderfully imaginative series, "24", where everything that happens in each episode happens in "real" time.
And that real time is one hour, eventually making up the 24 hours of a day, thus the title of the show. The story is almost too complicated to explain so I won't try. Except to say, in this episode, Jack Bauer is supposedly dead, but of course, he is not. The former President of The United States, played by Dennis Haysbert is assinated at the top of this episode along with two other people who are seemingly not connected and yet....and yet.......Then there is a fourth person that is almost killed. And it turns out the one thing that all four of these people have in common is, they were and are the only people in the world who knew that Jack Bauer was not dead. So this episode that Mr. Sutherland chose for us to see revolves around him trying to help this last person from not being killed and it takes place between 7am and 8am on that day. Jack Bauer is a tender man often tines but a tough man, too. This episode showed the many sides of Jack Bauer and Kiefer Sutherland gives a fabulous performance, as always. Okay. Five for Five. Oy Oy Oy!


The same impossible voting system is in place for this category as was in place for the Actress Category. And these gentleman arrived at their Nominations in the very same way, as well. Another very very difficult near impossible task lies before me. Good luck to me! (lol)



More To Come....


Reminder: Don't forget to go by Wendy's Auditions today....It sure is fun cause you get to visit a lot of lovely people and she has the BESTEST Snacks to be found and eaten anywhere in the virtual blogesphere.....







Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

35 Comments:
had this to say:

Hi, OOLOTH! It's been a while since I last visited - I like the new look. I'm here via Michele tonight.

What a line up of talented actors hey? All are excellent but I think the gong may go to the guy from Law and Order. My 20cents worth.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 3:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WOOHOO...Christopher Meloni gets MY vote!! I love law and order...all of them, but SVU is my favorite! Love your site :) Wendy directed me here today :) Come visit me over at www.doubletwintrouble.blogspot.com!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 3:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again the Law and Order guy is the only one I recognize. (I never knew his name until now!). I have watched that one a couple of times and I thought it was a good show. But obviously not that good since I never watched it anymore. I just don't watch much TV anymore.

Enjoy your voting!!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 6:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Again, I really enjoyed reading this. My choice would be Martin Sheen and I too, was very sad to see the demise of West Wing.
But I also really like Christopher Meloni's character.
Another tough choice for you in the voting, I'd say. Good luck.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 7:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

holey moley.. this one is hard for sure!!.. I should say "good luck" and not comment lol..

though I love Christopher Meloni.. I think..hmmm... that I'd still have to go with Denis Leary (you are right about an amazing actor)

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 7:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I really wanted and think Ian McShane deserved this one but I have recently heard it was not a Deadwood snub but that they started too late in this season to be considered???? I still think he is the best out there right now!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I'm actually pulling for Denis Leary on this one.

I hope you're having as much fun voiting for these categories as we are seeing your thought process!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Christopher Meloni!!! Or Denis Leary. Christopher Meloni!! *hint hint* =)

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Kiefer Sutherland all the way!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 9:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I prefer Christopher Meloni, but if I could I vote for Tony Shalhoub
(Monk). I love this series and this guy!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 9:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, tough category. Good luck in the voting.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 11:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, the only one I know about is Peter Krause, who I thought was terrific in Six Feet Under. I have never watched any of those other shows.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 11:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I sent me today hehe. I am loving these posts and breakdowns in each section you are judging.
Of course this particular catagory was a disappointment to me because I was pulling for Hugh Laurie in House and he didn't even get a nom.
OMG IT IS AUGUST 22 days until we leave, it is getting exciting now :)

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Peter Krause, Peter Krause, Peter Krause!! He did an outstanding job in that show. (Again, I have not seen the others, but I know about this...hehe.) PS I will look on the bottom of the cup and let ya know who makes it. Perhaps we can find more on ebay!!.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 2:56:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Good luck indeed! Personally I am a big fan of 24 and think Kiefer is fantastic in it but it must be so hard to make this decision! Thanks for sharing this insight into the whole process though. It is fascinating!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 3:16:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Denis Leary! I love that show.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 3:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Nothing to do with the emmys, but regarding the blue cup: this is what the back reads and I can find nothing like it on ebay (usually cheaper than Replacements!). Terre De Fer -- HR&C IE --Ormesson
I did find some things on Terre de Fer but not much. Let me know if you find anything!! Isn't this fun?

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 5:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dennis Leary, "Rescue Me" would be my choice.

Just cuz I find it amazing a comic could do a drama as well as he has. He's gone outside the box. He's proved he can do both, and do both well.

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 6:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Kiefer Sutherland all the way!
WOOF-WOOF!!

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 7:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

*sneaks in* Is it too late to throw another vote in for Christopher Meloni? LOL
Wendy directed me over AGAIN today :)

Monday, July 31, 2006 at 9:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Was Christopher Meloni the guy who acted in the HBO series OZ? He looks really familiar.

Here via Wendy's casting call. Congrats on winning a perfect post award!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 1:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm a huge fan of Six Feet Under and West Wing. I haven't seen the others but have heard good things. I don't envy your difficult choice. Good luck!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Cheers to Christopher Meloni! Wish him the best. Thanks for the review of nominees.

Happy Tuesday!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 6:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't know what is. I watch a lot of tv, but when it comes time for Emmy nominations I almost never had watched the Emmy nominated shows. The nominees here are no exception.

This must say something about my viewing habits.:(

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for posting this Emmy stuff...
I don't watch any television so I find this all very interesting..
I do know who Martin and Kiefer are because they have been in some movies I used to watch. I have seen Leary in stand up if it is the same person I am thinking of..
I have never heard of Krause or Meloni....
Good luck to you!
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) huge huggles
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 7:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My pick would be Martin Sheen. I'm sorry he picked the last episode though. It wasn't one of the best.

I like Dennis Leary's comedy too... and he's from Boston!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

that is one tough category. i love all of them! i hope they all get to win an emmy! ;)

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 9:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Mmmmm, Christopher Meloni!!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for commenting on the blog.

In response to your question, I wouldn't say I'm "missing" anything on my blogroll. Every Tuesday though I ask a question and this week I decided to ask people for their input on blogs I may not know about. For instance, I don't think I knew about yours till just the other day!

I think blogs are like music. There's a lot of good stuff out there, but there is also a lot that has gone undiscovered. :)

Hope that answers your question...

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 10:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd have a tough time on this one....

Christopher Meloni is a favorite of mine and Law and Order SUV is one of favorite shows. He does an outstanding job.

Also Peter Krauss was fantastic on Six Feet Under, I never missed an episode. His character was complex and sometimes disturbing and he played the role so well! Hated to see the show end.

Have a wonderful day my friend! ;)

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 11:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a headache this all would be for me. So many good choices. Really great Actors & Actresses.
Have A Great Day !!! :-).

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 11:52:00 AM PDT 

Blogger mar
had this to say:

Dropping by to say hello, dear, right before I go to bed ZZZZ Glad to be back, yes: blog sweet blog, lol. But I have so much to catch up!!! :)

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 3:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't have TIVO and have two children and a 27 year old toddler hubby. TV is a rare enjoyment for me. Based on your post tho, I have a pretty good idea now. Thanks for clueing me in.

Wendy directed me. :D

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wendy sent me today, but I loved reading your post! My vote is for Denis Leary. I have always loved him! I remember listening to his stand up comedy before he ever made it to the big screen.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 4:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just have to reiterate that I am almost more excited to see who you voted for than who actually wins the Emmy. It is all so exciting.

Of course if I got to pick I would say Mariska Hargitaya nd Christopher Meloni--but that is becuas I love both of them and I love that show, so I might be biased. No matter what you definately have hard choices to make.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 6:56:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.